• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

19 round clip...

ItsMyRight2Carry

imported post

The Springfield XDM 9mm, is due to be available in the next month or so and holds 19+1. Are there any limitations on the amount of rounds a handgun will hold in NC? I know California has specific laws regarding this, but I wasn't sure about NC.

tarzan1888

imported post

"19 round clip..."

A clip is what my wife puts in her hair.......If it holds ammo and goes in a gun it is a Magazine.

Tarzan

ItsMyRight2Carry

imported post

Thanks Tarzan for the terminology lesson, but I think after reading my post you knew what I was referring to...There was a period of time when the term "clip" was used for these, such as in the English translations of the Chauchat light machine gun manuals and the early testing by the United States for a semiautomatic pistol. Soon after the adoption of the M1911 pistol, the term "magazine" was settled on by the military and firearms experts, though the term "clip" is often used in its place (though only for detachable magazines, never fixed).[sup] [/sup]The defining difference between clips and magazines is the presence of a feed mechanism in a magazine, typically a spring loaded follower, which a clip lacks. Call me "old school"!

BTW, did Tarzan carry a gun?:p

Sincerly Yours,

Jane

Sonora Rebel

imported post

'Clips' are disposable... magazines are not. There's stripper clips 'n feed clips (as in the M-1 Garand). The Cho-cho was a piece of garbage.

tarzan1888

imported post

wrote:
Thanks Tarzan for the terminology lesson, but I think after reading my post you knew what I was referring to...There was a period of time when the term "clip" was used for these, such as in the English translations of the Chauchat light machine gun manuals and the early testing by the United States for a semiautomatic pistol. Soon after the adoption of the M1911 pistol, the term "magazine" was settled on by the military and firearms experts, though the term "clip" is often used in its place (though only for detachable magazines, never fixed).[suP] [/suP]The defining difference between clips and magazines is the presence of a feed mechanism in a magazine, typically a spring loaded follower, which a clip lacks. Call me "old school"!

Sincerly Yours,

Jane

Sonora Rebel wrote:
'Clips' are disposable... magazines are not. There's stripper clips 'n feed clips (as in the M-1 Garand). The Cho-cho was a piece of garbage.

Thank you Sonora Rebel.....You are exactly right.

ItsMyRight2Carry.....if you are going to post on gun forums....get your terminology right. Just because a lot of people misuse a term, doesn't legitimize its misuse.

To answer yourquestion.....I did carry a gun, but as the specter of an Obama Presidency looms on the horizon, I sold all of mine.

Tarzan

swoolard

imported post

By law, we do not have ammo capacity limitations in NC.

But, 19 rounds of 9mm ammo + weapon is going to weigh a good bit--even in a polymer XD(m).

If you're wanting this gun for target, go for it. But for self-defense, I'm not going to recommend it what-so-ever. I don't want this to get into a ballistics preaching thread, so I'll leave it at this: Look it up for yourself, not lab ballistics, but real-life-encounters.

As someone who promotes firearm self-defense, I make it a point to recommend .45ACP. If you must have a smaller weapon, go for the .40S&W with high quality JHP.

I would much rather carry 7+1 .45ACP in than 19+1 in 9mm.

Quantity should never, ever be a substitute for effectiveness. Don't "Spray and Pray."

Anyways, the XD is a superior firearm, but like I said, get the .40S&W. The size is 1.16mm larger, but the power and speed are far greater--even greater than the .45ACP. The 45ACP is superior because of its size.

If you want to kill something, you stab it with a knife, not a needle, right? That's the same principle of cartridge calibers. The bigger it is, the more damage it can do with one shot. The more damage it can do with one shot to the nervous and vascular system, the better chance you have of stopping them from hurting you or your loved ones.

no carry permit ?

imported post

Originally Posted by Tarzan the monkey chaser

ItsMyRight2Carry.....if you are going to post on gun forums....get your terminology right. Just because a lot of people misuse a term, doesn't legitimize its misuse.
Tarzan : Nice job welcoming a fairly new member to the site. We sure need more obnoxious ass----like you on the welcoming committee. An English major could go through any of your posts, make correctionsand point out that you often appear only somewhat literate.

tarzan1888

imported post

ItsMyRight2Carry wrote:

Sincerly Yours,

Jane

Since you asked I thought I would actually answer you question.

Yes Tarzan is proficient with all types of firearms. He personally prefers a bow and arrow and a good war spear, along with his grass rope, but he is an excellent shot.

He did use firearms in both WWI and WWII, but he found that they tended to rust quickly in the jungle environs so he used them sparingly.

When he was about to be sacrificed to Jad-ben-Otho, by the High Priest Lu-don, his son Korack saved his life with a well placed shot from his Enfield. His father had taught him well.

As for you juveniles who take offence at correction. Grow up

I learn something new every day, and I hope to continue in that until I am pushing up daisies.

We are here to share and learn, and if you aren't then you should be.

Tarzan

ScottyT

imported post

tarzan1888 wrote:
To answer yourquestion.....I did carry a gun, but as the specter of an Obama Presidency looms on the horizon, I sold all of mine.
What a coincidence! I recently sold all of mine as well! I figured with the savior arriving I wont need to protect myself anymore.

tarzan1888

imported post

ScottyT wrote:
tarzan1888 wrote:
What a coincidence! I recently sold all of mine as well! I figured with the savior arriving I wont need to protect myself anymore.

And since no record of such sale was required by law......I kept none......You probably didn't keep one either.

Tarzan

Custodian

imported post

Smithy or Smitty, my Smith & Wesson M&P in .40 S&W. Though I have 15 round magazines. I only stock them with a Baker's dozen (13) rounds of ammo. Why? I am not trying to wear out the mag springs because I normally keep my mags loaded. I will max out my mags only at the range when I am firing constantly.