• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wanted man from Maryland nabbed at Bob's Gun Shop

samdavisrises

imported post

Either you are an evil but lucky man or just unlucky, or have bought so many guns you've been caught in the Background Check game. Me, never more than 60 seconds. For all four guns. I have a sweet innocent face I guess.... :^)

Arg, you lucky dog! I always have to come back later. I found out the hard way when there was a police officer behind my car at a red light. Apparently there is someone who shares my name who had a warrant for resisting arrest. I have been pulled over three times, my wife once (she was driving my car), and any background check takes over an hour.

Bullbuster

imported post

When I bought my wife her .38 at a Va Beach gun show for her CHP it took just over an hour. The dealer said it was likely do to the high volume of calls for sales. My others it took longer to box the gun up than for the check to come back.

I don't have anything to hide so I don't mind waiting and like mentioned before who doesn't like to spend time in a gun shop.

essayons

imported post

Mine almost always take about an hour. I spoke to a State Police rep at one of the gun shows and she said it was because I was in the military, but she didn't know why. Gave me a number to call to find out but I'm lazy and never followed thru. I'm thinking maybe they need to also check to see if i'm convicted of anything under UCMJ. One of these days I'll figure it out.

ODA 226

imported post

It took 1.5 hours to get my Springfield Micro Compact and 2 minutes to get my wife's .357 at the same gunshop. It's just the luck of the draw!

razor_baghdad

imported post

samdavisrises wrote:
Apparently there is someone who shares my name who had a warrant for resisting arrest. I have been pulled over three times, my wife once (she was driving my car), and any background check takes over an hour.

With a name like Sammy Davis? Unless you're a 4' tall black man, decomposing these days I believe (RIP Sammy)...I can see how that'd happen....:p:p

My check took about 45 minutes......no running involved...;)

Chaingun81

imported post

My background checks take between 45 minutes and 1.5 hours and guys at the store explained that it is due to the fact that i am not aUS citizen (i am a green card holder) and State Police has to call INS each time (believe that alone can takeover an hour sometimes:cuss:)to verify my legal resident status. I don't mind at all as ialwayssupport strict immigration laws and i have nothing to hide. I expect it to takea lot less time if i become a naturalized US citizen, since confuesd identity should not really be a problem for me asi alwaysput down my SSNand there is probably only 5 people in the whole United States with a name like mine (obviously, i have a foriegn name and not even a common one).:lol:I am surprised though, that there arethat manyUS citizens who take so long to get through the background check. Also, there is no relation to the type of gun you are buying - it took me only 35 minutes to clear background check to get my AK-clone, but when i was buing a 7-shot 1911, it took over 1.5 hours.

darthmord

imported post

Remember, it also depends on how many requests they have in the queue. If you catch them with little to no backlog, the request comes back pretty quick.

LRS76251

imported post

If you hold a security clearance/MIL/LEO you will get flagged on NICS because of an AFIS (fingerprint database) hit. The reason I know this is that I always get delayed and knew there was nothing in my background that was prohibitive, so I called some friends over at the JEH building and asked what could possibly be going on. They made a call to records and we did the required paperwork, etc. Come to find out it was because of my LEO status and that I have a security clearance. When you go through the hiring process and/or your SF-86 is done, you must submit fingerprints as part of the BI. There is a whole bunch of stuff that could cause a hit, but this is one that is often not understood by those without criminal histories. It comes back as a delay. Hope this helps a little.

Chaingun81

imported post

LRS76251 wrote:
If you hold a security clearance/MIL/LEO you will get flagged on NICS because of an AFIS (fingerprint database) hit. The reason I know this is that I always get delayed and knew there was nothing in my background that was prohibitive, so I called some friends over at the JEH building and asked what could possibly be going on. They made a call to records and we did the required paperwork, etc. Come to find out it was because of my LEO status and that I have a security clearance. When you go through the hiring process and/or your SF-86 is done, you must submit fingerprints as part of the BI. There is a whole bunch of stuff that could cause a hit, but this is one that is often not understood by those without criminal histories. It comes back as a delay. Hope this helps a little.
That fingerprint thing might be part of the reason for me as well. As far as I know, INS fingerprint database is separate from others, but my biometrics are on file in some database because of that and it might cause a hit too

sailer

imported post

I find it oddly distressing yet laughable that someone can be that incredibly dense.

I'm not so sure about that.

The story doesn't say he was convicted of anything. It says there was a warrant issued in Maryland for his arrest. He may not have known it.

If he had been CONVICTED of murder and then tried to buy a firearm, THAT would be incredibly dense.

If he knew there was a warrant for his arrest and he tried to buy a firearm that would also be incredibly dense.

But we don't know either of those things.

mkl

imported post

LRS76251 wrote:
If you hold a security clearance/MIL/LEO you will get flagged on NICS because of an AFIS (fingerprint database) hit.  The reason I know this is that I always get delayed...

I've bought dozens of guns. Most of the times it is practically instant. I have had only a few times (maybe 3-4) where it was delayed. When it was delayed it was for around 30 minutes. It doesn't appear to be any soft of consistent rule that has to do with clearances.
One of the delays was a day I bought a a rifle, then after doing the paperwork, saw a rifle and a pistol and bought them as well. No evidence that was the case, but it seemed like a possibility that me buying 3 guns in 2 transactions on the same day might have caused the delay.

echo6tango

imported post

I'm sure he's begging tobe shippedback to Maryland to face murder charges...he'll do less time on murder in Maryland than any jail time Virginia would give him for anything he's done there. I've seen more than a few cases in the past couple years where folks have been charged with murder in this fine state, only to be released because all the witnesses either ended up dead or suddenly had a loss of memory...that's not accounting for those that just "didn't see nuttin." The Maryland court system works "super-duper" well...as does anything pretending to resemble witness protection. He'll be back on the streets in time for New Years.