• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Kelly's liquors

phoneguy

imported post

Back in 1970 I moved to Albuquerque from NY. One thing I noticed a liquor store chain around the corner were I lived all the employees opened carried a gun on there belt.

Being from NY that kind of shocked me. Now I understand and I open carry were I live.
Anyway in 1970 what were the gun laws in New Mexico? Is it more strict today?
Is Kelly's liquors still in business and if they are, do they still open carry? Or do other liquors store open carry now? Thanks

mserr

imported post

Kelly's is still around. But carrying openly in any establishment that sells liquor for on or off site consumption is illegal and a felony I believe, (dont know about during the 70's). You can however Conceal carry with a permit in a store that only sells liquor for OFF site consumption, so who knows, maybe the employees conceal carry now or just have firearms behind the counter and not on them.

nmshooter

imported post

What was said is true and it is my understanding that if you own the establishment you may carry but I am not 100% on that.

jasonsguns.com

imported post

No person shall carry a loaded or unloaded firearm in an establishment licensed by the Department of Alcohol Beverage Control for the dispensing of alcoholic beverage except

1. a law enforcement officer in the lawful discharge of his duties;
    2. the owner, lessee, tenant, or operator of the licensed premise or their agents, including privately employed security personnel during the performance of their duties;
    3. by a person in that area of the licensed premise usually and primarily rented on a daily or short term basis for sleeping or residential occupancy, including motel or hotel rooms; or
    4. by a person on that area of the licensed premise used primarily for vehicular traffic or parking.
from http://www.gvpulli.net/guns.html

jasonsguns.com

imported post

I just took a look at that link up close and it looks like the CC infromation is out of date but I think because of #2 store clerks can still pack in liquor stores.

herr_jon

imported post

Same for bars?

Can owners, employees legally carry in New Mexico bars?

I know Open Carry / Concealed Carry for bars and restaurants by customers is illegal in New Mexico but what about owners?

This is just a curiosity to me... I have not interest in serious legal advice.

Thanks,
Jon