• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hooters in Roanoke

KBCraig

imported post

I'm never comfortable sitting at a bar with my back to the crowd, but that's just me.

Not everyone is so worried about it.

rockwell_runaway.jpg

razor_baghdad

imported post

You CAN sit at the bar and use a little SA...ie...never with your back to the door,slide the holster a little more to the front, towards the center over the right or left pocket, out ofreach of the 'supposed gun grabber'. :what:

Agree with babyboy, I've been to the bar many times, NEVER drinking alcohol.

Just use common sense and NEVER TRUST ANYONE AROUND YOU.

Obviously we're not gonna change your mind mike, but with a little common sense, the OCer can make a good impression at the bar vice bad.

2 ways of looking at it... :?

kenny

imported post

It is a shame how a topic can get out of hand. This issue could be better served by proactively approaching staff and management of all Hooter's if you you happen to be a regular customer.

Perhaps they have a new policy perhaps not. Call you local Hooter's and find out. Peer pressure works best.

BTW, I would never sit with my back to anyone, even a room full of you guys & gals. Even then I would never let my guard down.

Bulldog1967

imported post

TexasNative wrote:
As I understand it, the whole point of open carry activism is to normalize open carry. In other words, to get folks used to seeing "normal people" armed in any given situation.

Just as the PA soccer mom was defended for open carrying at her kids' soccer game, I also defend CPerdue's carrying in the bar area of a restaurant. It's supposed to be a normal thing. We're supposed to be making people get used to seeing us armed, and behaving like normal people.

Sorry, I'm gonna hafta disagree with those who say CPerdue should have avoided the bar area while OC. I can understand that some will say he shouldn't do it, but those folks can't justifiably call themselves open carry activists, in my opinion.

I was going to reply but then you summed it up quite nicely.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

kenny wrote:
This issue could be better served by proactively approaching staff and management of all Hooter's if you you happen to be a regular customer.
No, as a practical matter this will force creation of a non gun policy - don;t ask don;t tell, and be discreet even if you are open carrying should be the rule.

razor_baghdad

imported post

Mike wrote:
kenny wrote:
This issue could be better served by proactively approaching staff and management of all Hooter's if you you happen to be a regular customer.
No, as a practical matter this will force creation of a non gun policy - don;t ask don;t tell, and be discreet even if you are open carrying should be the rule.
Damn you mike...you're gonna make me go eat at H:what:ters for lunch...with a gun on my hip, and sit at the bar while looking at b:what:bbies...:p

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

TexasNative wrote:
As I understand it, the whole point of open carry activism is to normalize open carry. In other words, to get folks used to seeing "normal people" armed in any given situation.

Just as the PA soccer mom was defended for open carrying at her kids' soccer game, I also defend CPerdue's carrying in the bar area of a restaurant. It's supposed to be a normal thing. We're supposed to be making people get used to seeing us armed, and behaving like normal people.

Sorry, I'm gonna hafta disagree with those who say CPerdue should have avoided the bar area while OC. I can understand that some will say he shouldn't do it, but those folks can't justifiably call themselves open carry activists, in my opinion.
+1

ODA 226

imported post

I've eaten at Hooter's in Norfolk, Williamsburg, Va. Bch, Hampton and Chesapeake on no less than 2 dozen occasions and never had a problem!

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

TexasNative wrote:

So far all I had to say was that I agreed that a table would have been a better place to sit, but I think I'll throw in my other penny.

A week or so ago, there was a thread concerning weapon retention. As usual, it was lively. Now we have many members here that do understand weapon retention and how to react in different environments, and general awareness and precaution.

Also as usual, we had people who had the latest, greatest holsters, have read the instructions and were therefore experts.

Hooters is a bar environment. An enjoyable bar environment granted, and perhaps better regulated than many, but people still go there to drink and have fun.

There is NO better way to start trouble than be the toughest looking fellow in a place where drunks are having fun. A little beer just makes you bigger...(also makes the women better looking:shock:)

IF YOU WEAR A HANDGUN OFTEN ENOUGH IN A BAR, YOU WILL NEED TO LEARN WEAPON RETENTION!

Now I think it was in the same thread that someone said I was pretty stupid for carrying a gun to stay safe but refusing to wear a seat belt. They were right! However not wearing a seat belt hurts no one but me.

The same can't be said about OC'ing on a barstool with his butt and the gun sticking out for every would be Rocky Balboa to see and grab. I UNDERSTAND THE oc'ER WAS NOT DRINKING, BUT OTHERS WERE!

I also think it was a judgment call and not deserving of some of the harsh criticism he has gotten.

darthmord

imported post

One thing to consider... (and a lesson I learned while in the military)

It's 70% appearance and 30% effort.

If you look or act like a dirt bag, slacker, scum, etc you will be treated as such regardless of the effort you put in.

So you could be the most conscientious OC person to ever exist. Hanging out at the bar giving the impression of irresponsibility will make people believe you ARE irresponsible even though you are the furthest thing from it.

Was anything done wrong by the OP? No (though I wouldn't put my back to an open room, but that's just me).

Could the OP's actions have been a little different to put OC in a better light? Probably.

So while nothing wrong was done, people will still think something was due to perceptions.

It's not just an information battle... it's a perception / image battle too. We have to fight this by providing good / accurate information AND do so while providing a good image.

bayboy42

imported post

peter nap wrote:
TexasNative wrote:

So far all I had to say was that I agreed that a table would have been a better place to sit, but I think I'll throw in my other penny.

A week or so ago, there was a thread concerning weapon retention. As usual, it was lively. Now we have many members here that do understand weapon retention and how to react in different environments, and general awareness and precaution.

Also as usual, we had people who had the latest, greatest holsters, have read the instructions and were therefore experts.

Hooters is a bar environment. An enjoyable bar environment granted, and perhaps better regulated than many, but people still go there to drink and have fun.

There is NO better way to start trouble than be the toughest looking fellow in a place where drunks are having fun. A little beer just makes you bigger...(also makes the women better looking:shock:)

IF YOU WEAR A HANDGUN OFTEN ENOUGH IN A BAR, YOU WILL NEED TO LEARN WEAPON RETENTION!

Now I think it was in the same thread that someone said I was pretty stupid for carrying a gun to stay safe but refusing to wear a seat belt. They were right! However not wearing a seat belt hurts no one but me.

The same can't be said about OC'ing on a barstool with his butt and the gun sticking out for every would be Rocky Balboa to see and grab. I UNDERSTAND THE oc'ER WAS NOT DRINKING, BUT OTHERS WERE!

I also think it was a judgment call and not deserving of some of the harsh criticism he has gotten.
How come when anti-gun or anti-OC people use type of reasoning, people on OCDO are quick to ask for cites/references/examples??? This thread has got to be full of the most double-speak I've ever seen in an OCDO thread.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

bayboy42 wrote:
peter nap wrote:
TexasNative wrote:
How come when anti-gun or anti-OC people use type of reasoning, people on OCDO are quick to ask for cites/references/examples??? This thread has got to be full of the most double-speak I've ever seen in an OCDO thread.

You want a Cite on how to get your ass kicked in a bar?

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Let's pretend the weapons retention issue is not an issue, this is an information war (especially in Virginia with it's restaurant ban on concealed carry) - carrying "at the bar," besides drawing undue attention to yourself and asking for creation of on the spot policies to ban you, plays into the hands of anti-gun lobbiests who charachterize all policy initiatives to maintian or expand carry rights in restaurants as efforts to be at the bar and drink alcoholic beverages or purposefully be in and around people who are doing so.

Did you see some of the tv spots against Chap Peterson when he was trying to beat anti-gunner jeannemarie Devolites Davis last year? That''s what they go for - the bar image, the alcohol medly, the irresponsible implications.

A tremendous amount of effort is spent on counter-charachterizing restaurant carry rights as merely good people going to sit at tables and just east food.

Think like an information warrior - the facts matter only as they play to perceptions:

Bar = bad. Alcohol = bad. Stay away.

Sitting down at table to eat food with family = good. Do it discreetly, no smart or cute comments, and mind your own business like everybody else.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Re perception of information; information has no subjective value until it is perceived and incorporated. Then its value depends on the perceiver's valuation.

Personal anecdote: Were I to hypothetically see an armed citizen at 'the bar' then I would consider; his appearance, his demeanor, the same of his associates and my impression of the bar. If on balance they were negative then I would leave.

razor_baghdad

imported post

Mike wrote:
Let's pretend the weapons retention issue is not an issue, this is an information war (especially in Virginia with it's restaurant ban on concealed carry) - carrying "at the bar," besides drawing undue attention to yourself and asking for creation of on the spot policies to ban you, plays into the hands of anti-gun lobbiests who charachterize all policy initiatives to maintian or expand carry rights in restaurants as efforts to be at the bar and drink alcoholic beverages or purposefully be in and around people who are doing so.

Sitting down at table to eat food with family = good. Do it discreetly, no smart or cute comments, and mind your own business like everybody else.
The information war is exactly the war we are fighting.

You seem to want to 'hide' from the information war. By openly carrying a pistol AT THE BAR, and by doing so RESPONSIBLY, projects the image of OC'ers who can carry and be mature, thus softening the public view of OC...IMO.

Situational Awareness is your friend in every circumstance, this one included.
Huh?? Then stay at home.

eta: nice cite Pete!!

darthmord

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
Re perception of information; information has no subjective value until it is perceived and incorporated. Then its value depends on the perceiver's valuation.

Personal anecdote: Were I to hypothetically see an armed citizen at 'the bar' then I would consider; his appearance, his demeanor, the same of his associates and my impression of the bar. If on balance they were negative then I would leave.

Which is why we should always endeavour to put our best foot and face forward.

For if we give nothing to the anti-OC/CC crowd to complain about, then any resulting complaintsare meaningless and baseless.

I'd rather see us all taking three steps forward than two steps forward and one back.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Lets cut to the chase -

You can do what is good for the cause - in an effective manner with the least colateral damage or not. It is your right.

It is legal to sit at the bar, OCing and actually drink alcohol? Yes, It's legal.

Is it in the best interest of our cause. IMO - it is not.

Suggesting not giving our opposition fuel for their bonfire is good advice. Is it your right - yes.

Can exercising your right(s) in a particular manner be determental to our goals? Yes.

Come on guys - pick a better nit.

Yata hey