• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hooters in Roanoke

bayboy42

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Lets cut to the chase -

You can do what is good for the cause - in an effective manner with the least colateral damage or not. It is your right.

It is legal to sit at the bar, OCing and actually drink alcohol? Yes, It's legal.

Is it in the best interest of our cause. IMO - it is not.

Suggesting not giving our opposition fuel for their bonfire is good advice. Is it your right - yes.

Can exercising your right(s) in a particular manner be determental to our goals? Yes.

Come on guys - pick a better nit.

Yata hey
I'm not advocating for folks to sit around a bar while OCing. My heartburn is with the rationale that folks are spouting against it. According to what I've read on this thread, maybe open carrying at a youth soccer game isn't such a good idea...doing so could definitely "give our opposition fuel for their bonfire". Maybe Danbus carrying at Waterside was a bad idea as that could definitely "give our opposition fuel for their bonfire".Both situations were legal but were they good for the cause?See once you apply this line of reasoning to one situation, what stops it from being applied to all OC situations?

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

bayboy42 wrote:
I'm not advocating for folks to sit around a bar while OCing. My heartburn is with the rationale that folks are spouting against it. According to what I've read on this thread, maybe open carrying at a youth soccer game isn't such a good idea...doing so could definitely "give our opposition fuel for their bonfire". Maybe Danbus carrying at Waterside was a bad idea as that could definitely "give our opposition fuel for their bonfire".Both situations were legal but were they good for the cause?See once you apply this line of reasoning to one situation, what stops it from being applied to all OC situations?
If you read the discussion for understanding, it should be evident that the rationale is cabined by the 3d rail imagesof "alcohol" and "bars" in the context of the effort to repeal the VA restaurant ban on concealed carry and the already floated back-up proposal by legislators (e.g., Del. Sickles) to ban drinking while possessing a gun in any manner to spike efforts to repeal the restaurant ban!

DonTreadOnMe

imported post

If you do not think being at the Bar is responsible and gives the right image, chances are you wont radiate the air of confidence and responsibility anyway....sit at a table.

If you think your confident and responsible at the bar....more power to you.

Me, I will be at the table. Why, because I think that is the step that most advances OC for me to do. It is what seams the most responsible choice for me. What is true for you and what is true for someone else may not be the same thing.

I would love for people to think of an OCer at a bar/restaurant/whatever as one sees a designated driver, someone that has chosen to be social, but also responsible.

;)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Hasn't this horse been beaten enough. Good judgement is always a factor for me and that is a personal decision. Would you deny me that?

We don't need to go there and I know that isn't your intent anyway.

Carry on - gotta go.

Yata hey

CPerdue

imported post

Smurf, thanks for the references. I'll pass them along to the management and the owners.

For what it is worth folks, the bar is at the entrance - I was sitting in the first available seat to wait for people - a table in the back was not reasonable. I was also just in from work so dressed nicely - poloshirt, slacks, not offensive or alarming at all. Yes, it is a retention holster.

Now then, how many of you will please call Hooters of Roanoke and ask them not to do this anymore if they want your business? This summer we convinced the Carrabbas not two miles away to change their policy and signage. More of the same please.

Mike, what is wrong with your wheeties this morning?

C.

DonTreadOnMe

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
razor_baghdad wrote:
doing so RESPONSIBLY,...
Who is the arbiter of "responsibly" but a willing tyrant?

The first and best arbiter in a free society of responsibility is the citizen with the right. Does that mean we should not offer our fellow citizen counsel so he can not make the best and most wise decision possible?

If I felt that I had nothing to gain from or offer to my fellow man in the way of information or advice....I would not bother with this forum.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

DonTreadOnMe wrote:
Doug Huffman wrote:
razor_baghdad wrote:
doing so RESPONSIBLY,...
The first and best arbiter in a free society of responsibility is the citizen with the right. Does that mean we should not offer our fellow citizen counsel so he can not make the best and most wise decision possible?

If I felt that I had nothing to gain from or offer to my fellow man in the way of information or advice....I would not bother with this forum.
"...the citizen with the right." What 'right' is that? Advice is worth just what is paid for it. Information is sought, 'pulled', rather than pushed. Info pushed is advertisement or marketeering, at best, propaganda at worst.

Believe nothing you read or hear without verifying it yourself unless it fits your pre-existing worldview.

DonTreadOnMe

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
DonTreadOnMe wrote:
Doug Huffman wrote:
razor_baghdad wrote:
doing so RESPONSIBLY,...

"...the citizen with the right." What 'right' is that? Advice is worth just what is paid for it. Information is sought, 'pulled', rather than pushed. Info pushed is advertisement or marketeering, at best, propaganda at worst.

Believe nothing you read or hear without verifying it yourself unless it fits your pre-existing worldview.
ROFLMO, why bother even trying to exchange ideas with any of us if you think we are just at best...trying sell you a bill of goods?

If I felt I could gain nothing form the advice and experiences of those in this forum, I for one would not bother to read them.

I don't swallow advice of any man as gospel, but I also am not arrogant to think there is no value from advice of others. I take it for what it is, something to take under advisement as I decide what is a responsible course of direction for myself and the continuing evolution of my world view.

Sometimes, even those that I have the strongest disagreement with....who seek to change my view....who hold very differing beliefs than I do, offer a bit of information or an idea that I can not refute. When such an idea or bit of information challenges my world view or the wisdom of my course of actions in some manor....that is when I have gained from a conversation. I don't fear another world view, I relish it. It will reaffirm mine or offer it a chance for improvement.

LEO 229

imported post

DonTreadOnMe wrote:
Doug Huffman wrote:
DonTreadOnMe wrote:
Doug Huffman wrote:
razor_baghdad wrote:
doing so RESPONSIBLY,...

ROFLMO, why bother even trying to exchange ideas with any of us if you think we are just at best...trying sell you a bill of goods?

If I felt I could gain nothing form the advice and experiences of those in this forum, I for one would not bother to read them.

I don't swallow advice of any man as gospel, but I also am not arrogant to think there is no value from advice of others. I take it for what it is, something to take under advisement as I decide what is a responsible course of direction for myself and the continuing evolution of my world view.

Sometimes, even those that I have the strongest disagreement with....who seek to change my view....who hold very differing beliefs than I do, offer a bit of information or an idea that I can not refute. When such an idea or bit of information challenges my world view or the wisdom of my course of actions in some manor....that is when I have gained from a conversation. I don't fear another world view, I relish it. It will reaffirm mine or offer it a chance for improvement.

Well said....

How many people on here have posted unsolicited "information" that many would find useful or at least make them think or research more on it??

People do not just ask.. yes and no questions and expect an answer here.Even then.... the information being "pulled"can be just as loadedwith propaganda as one that is pushed.

We are all here to learn from each other. But if someone does not like what you have to offer.... it is anything but "information"

Advice is free. You do not have to accept it. But when you ask for it.. do not get bent out of shape at what is provided.

Some advice is given is from past experience so that should have some value.

And no matter how you feel about information that is provided to you. You should ALWAYS verify it even if you trust the source. The source could be wrong.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

bayboy42 wrote:
Grapeshot wrote: I'm not advocating for folks to sit around a bar while OCing. My heartburn is with the rationale that folks are spouting against it. According to what I've read on this thread, maybe open carrying at a youth soccer game isn't such a good idea...doing so could definitely "give our opposition fuel for their bonfire". Maybe Danbus carrying at Waterside was a bad idea as that could definitely "give our opposition fuel for their bonfire".Both situations were legal but were they good for the cause?See once you apply this line of reasoning to one situation, what stops it from being applied to all OC situations?

Your heartburn is with whatever you choose for the day.
You just want to sit around and bitch and anyone that doesn't agree with you is "anti-gun or anti-OC people".

I don't know what others feel, but I take serious offense to being called things like that !

TexasNative

imported post

I guess it's kinda like being told that waiting in the bar of a restaurant for the rest of your party to arrive harms the open carry cause, eh, Peter?

bayboy42

imported post

peter nap wrote:
bayboy42 wrote:
Grapeshot wrote: I'm not advocating for folks to sit around a bar while OCing. My heartburn is with the rationale that folks are spouting against it. According to what I've read on this thread, maybe open carrying at a youth soccer game isn't such a good idea...doing so could definitely "give our opposition fuel for their bonfire". Maybe Danbus carrying at Waterside was a bad idea as that could definitely "give our opposition fuel for their bonfire".Both situations were legal but were they good for the cause?See once you apply this line of reasoning to one situation, what stops it from being applied to all OC situations?

You just want to sit around and bitch and anyone that doesn't agree with you is "anti-gun or anti-OC people".

I don't know what others feel, but I take serious offense to being called things like that !
Please remind me where I called anyone on here anit-gun or anti-OC people.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

bayboy42 wrote:
peter nap wrote:
bayboy42 wrote:

Here you go:

Posted: Thu Oct 23rd, 2008 08:38 am peter nap wrote:
TexasNative wrote:
As I understand it, the whole point of open carry activism is to normalize open carry. In other words, to get folks used to seeing "normal people" armed in any given situation.

Just as the PA soccer mom was defended for open carrying at her kids' soccer game, I also defend CPerdue's carrying in the bar area of a restaurant. It's supposed to be a normal thing. We're supposed to be making people get used to seeing us armed, and behaving like normal people.

Sorry, I'm gonna hafta disagree with those who say CPerdue should have avoided the bar area while OC. I can understand that some will say he shouldn't do it, but those folks can't justifiably call themselves open carry activists, in my opinion.

So far all I had to say was that I agreed that a table would have been a better place to sit, but I think I'll throw in my other penny.

A week or so ago, there was a thread concerning weapon retention. As usual, it was lively. Now we have many members here that do understand weapon retention and how to react in different environments, and general awareness and precaution.

Also as usual, we had people who had the latest, greatest holsters, have read the instructions and were therefore experts.

Hooters is a bar environment. An enjoyable bar environment granted, and perhaps better regulated than many, but people still go there to drink and have fun.

There is NO better way to start trouble than be the toughest looking fellow in a place where drunks are having fun. A little beer just makes you bigger...(also makes the women better looking:shock:)

IF YOU WEAR A HANDGUN OFTEN ENOUGH IN A BAR, YOU WILL NEED TO LEARN WEAPON RETENTION!

Now I think it was in the same thread that someone said I was pretty stupid for carrying a gun to stay safe but refusing to wear a seat belt. They were right! However not wearing a seat belt hurts no one but me.

The same can't be said about OC'ing on a barstool with his butt and the gun sticking out for every would be Rocky Balboa to see and grab. I UNDERSTAND THE oc'ER WAS NOT DRINKING, BUT OTHERS WERE!

I also think it was a judgment call and not deserving of some of the harsh criticism he has gotten.
How come when anti-gun or anti-OC people use type of reasoning, people on OCDO are quick to ask for cites/references/examples??? This thread has got to be full of the most double-speak I've ever seen in an OCDO thread.

bayboy42

imported post

peter nap wrote:
bayboy42 wrote:
peter nap wrote:
bayboy42 wrote:

Here you go:

Posted: Thu Oct 23rd, 2008 08:38 am peter nap wrote:
TexasNative wrote:
As I understand it, the whole point of open carry activism is to normalize open carry. In other words, to get folks used to seeing "normal people" armed in any given situation.

Just as the PA soccer mom was defended for open carrying at her kids' soccer game, I also defend CPerdue's carrying in the bar area of a restaurant. It's supposed to be a normal thing. We're supposed to be making people get used to seeing us armed, and behaving like normal people.

Sorry, I'm gonna hafta disagree with those who say CPerdue should have avoided the bar area while OC. I can understand that some will say he shouldn't do it, but those folks can't justifiably call themselves open carry activists, in my opinion.

So far all I had to say was that I agreed that a table would have been a better place to sit, but I think I'll throw in my other penny.

A week or so ago, there was a thread concerning weapon retention. As usual, it was lively. Now we have many members here that do understand weapon retention and how to react in different environments, and general awareness and precaution.

Also as usual, we had people who had the latest, greatest holsters, have read the instructions and were therefore experts.

Hooters is a bar environment. An enjoyable bar environment granted, and perhaps better regulated than many, but people still go there to drink and have fun.

There is NO better way to start trouble than be the toughest looking fellow in a place where drunks are having fun. A little beer just makes you bigger...(also makes the women better looking:shock:)

IF YOU WEAR A HANDGUN OFTEN ENOUGH IN A BAR, YOU WILL NEED TO LEARN WEAPON RETENTION!

Now I think it was in the same thread that someone said I was pretty stupid for carrying a gun to stay safe but refusing to wear a seat belt. They were right! However not wearing a seat belt hurts no one but me.

The same can't be said about OC'ing on a barstool with his butt and the gun sticking out for every would be Rocky Balboa to see and grab. I UNDERSTAND THE oc'ER WAS NOT DRINKING, BUT OTHERS WERE!

I also think it was a judgment call and not deserving of some of the harsh criticism he has gotten.
How come when anti-gun or anti-OC people use type of reasoning, people on OCDO are quick to ask for cites/references/examples??? This thread has got to be full of the most double-speak I've ever seen in an OCDO thread.
Sorry...you misunderstood.....heck I'll even take some responsibility for not portraying it clearly enough. I bolded some portions of a post that appeared to me to be based on the type of reasoning used by folks in society who don't necessarily believe in the RTKBA or in OC. Sometimes, these types of folks visit OCDO and make posts about how OC is a bad idea because people will grab their guns and use it. These folks are usually pounced upon without hesitation by one of the OCDO regularsand essentially told to "Prove It". Then they are chastised for presenting a point based on no facts. Inthis situation, we have an OCDO regular...YouPeter Nap, using this same type of reasoning. It just doesn't make sense. Is that clear as mud?

SlackwareRobert

imported post

Never been in a Hooters, but don't bars have big mirrors, so how can you not watch
your back?

+1 for just leaving. If they don't want your money you shouldn't have to force them.

Hate to add this, but since it isn't against the law to lie to people, what is wrong with answering yes. Unless the manager is also an leo. You aren't impersonating,
she is misunderstanding. If it makes her feal better to think your an officer, what is
the harm in letting her be happy. Of course if she is wanted it could cause other problems.
If yes is a problem with folks here, how about "shh, you'll blow my cover" :cuss:
This way you just misdirect.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

SlackwareRobert wrote:
Hate to add this, but since it isn't against the law to lie to people, what is wrong with answering yes. Unless the manager is also an leo. You aren't impersonating,
she is misunderstanding. If it makes her feal better to think your an officer, what is
the harm in letting her be happy. Of course if she is wanted it could cause other problems.

Wrong! and oh so terribly bad advice!

§ 18.2-174. Impersonating officer.

Any person who shall falsely assume or exercise the functions, powers, duties and privileges incident to the office of sheriff, police officer, marshal, or other peace officer, or who shall falsely assume or pretend to be any such officer, shall be deemed guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

SlackwareRobert

imported post

But sitting down drinking a coke could hardly be construde as impersonating a
police officer, not like eating a jelly donut. (sorry can't help it)
But if you realy want to split hairs then....
answer 'why do you not allow officers to carry in here?' now you haven't affirmed
her assumption and haven't admitted to anything. You are just getting clarification on
company policy about firearms. After all, that would be the only logical reason
(they don't want cops with guns in the bar) for the question in the first place.

It just seems that sometimes it isn't worth the trouble to correct some people.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

SlackwareRobert wrote:
But sitting down drinking a coke could hardly be construde as impersonating a
police officer, not like eating a jelly donut. (sorry can't help it)
But if you realy want to split hairs then....
answer 'why do you not allow officers to carry in here?' now you haven't affirmed
her assumption and haven't admitted to anything. You are just getting clarification on
company policy about firearms. After all, that would be the only logical reason
(they don't want cops with guns in the bar) for the question in the first place.

It just seems that sometimes it isn't worth the trouble to correct some people.

Manager says "are you a cop?"

You say "yes"

§ 18.2-174. Impersonating officer.

Any person who shall falsely assume or exercise the functions, powers, duties and privileges incident to the office of sheriff, police officer, marshal, or other peace officer, or who shall falsely assume or pretend to be any such officer, shall be deemed guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

You have falsely pretended to be an officer by saying yes.

Also, In the manager's mind, they may only allow cops to wear their guns in the place. When you acknowledge that you are a cop, you are placing the idea in her head that its ok to let you be there with a gun since they let other cops wear their guns....i.e - exercising the privilege given to real police officers..

Sheepdawg

imported post

Bulldog1967 wrote:
TexasNative wrote:

I was going to reply but then you summed it up quite nicely.
Same here. +1