• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Letters from the "X" community, requested

Gmofftarki

imported post

How essential is it to have the 3 "requested" letters as opposed to required? I just recently moved to the area in which I live, and they're asking for 3 letters from the [town] community, as a "request", rather than a requirement.

The community isn't New Haven... but the instructor who had taught my class IS from New Haven and would likely be one of the people to write a letter on my behalf?

Everyone I know is pretty adamantly anti-2A and probably would be unwilling to write a letter on my behalf regarding my right to exercise my constitutional rights?

I might be able to get 2 letters, but 3 is stretching it.

GoldCoaster

imported post

I'm pretty sure that since the state implemented standardized requirements that you don't need to get letters of recommendation anymore. The towns can ask for it but you don't have to supply them.

If the town refuses to move on the application without the letters , then you call up the state police and tell them that the locals are requiring more than the state requires and you'd like to do your permit appilcation with them.

I don't know if that would work (or how quickly) but it sucks for you that your local police are asking for things that other towns don't. It makes it a double standard.

good luck

srage10

imported post

When I was first interested in getting my permit, I was living in Danbury (I know they "ask" for 3 letters of reference). At my permit class we went around the room saying which town we were from. When I told the instructor, he said "are you planning on moving anytime soon? If so, I would wait". Luckily I'm in Washington now with Resident Troopers who are very professional and by the book.

It's a question of how much you want to beat your head against the wall and with who. If you don't do what they "ask" they could hold your permit process up for quite sometime (longest wait I've heard was someone in New Haven waiting 8 months) and then deny you in which case you have to appeal the decision: the backlog for appeals is over two years long. OR spend the unnecessary time getting the 3 letters, get your permit, and then try to do something about it.

JUMPMASTER

imported post

It is unlawful for a local issuing authority to ask you and/or require you to provide any information other than what it required in the state application. Three letters of reference is not a part of the application. What town are you in?

LKB3rd

imported post

They can't deny your request based on refusal to provide more than the State requires, but you never know how honest they are. They might find or invent another "problem."
Maybe you could request to meet with the Chief, and tell him that you are aware that you are not required to provide the letters, and be honest. Tell him you want to keep your permit status private. You could decide how to proceed after getting his take on it. Maybe he would take your showing up in person, and giving him your explanation as a positive, and not give you problems for leaving out the letters.
Or, get one letter from your instructor, and contact or meet with the chief as above, making sure to let him know you are aware that they are not allowed to deny you based on leaving out the letters entirely. I'd do it in a non-confrontational manner. This option has you offering to meet partway, and doesn't have you disclosing private matters to people who might not take it well.

LKB3rd

imported post

Branford didn't request any letters. I was wondering if they would, since at the time I was apprehensive about approaching people to write such a letter too.
My pistol permit instructor included a letter with my class completion, which I voluntarily gave along with my certificate and application. It basically said that I conducted myself responsibly during the class, and was able to safely operate semi- automatic handguns and revolvers.

sdrct

imported post

I'm in Middletown too, and I submitted the letters because it was very easy for me to do. The entire process in Middletown was pretty straightforward, and they were not confrontational or resistant to issuing a permit. Ask them to forego that request and see how it goes.

Steve

Gmofftarki

imported post

Yeah... I walked in there and felt sorta "awkward" like I was buying tampons for a girlfriend...

They didn't bat an eye, handed me the application, and we parted ways.

Pretty impressed actually, at least thus far.

bradco

imported post

West Haven also required it, I got one from a coworker, one from my Brother Wife wo also has a CCW and one from a buddy who is manager of a Security company, even though we are not required it is a good idea and would avoid any problems in delay if you could find someone not antigun to endorse you.

sdrct

imported post

I will say it took about 6 weeks, and I know that the point person on permits that I worked with is no longer there. When you turn in your paperwork, ask them to look at everything and let you know then if anything isn't correct. Ask when they would like you to check back and with whom. Good luck.

Steve

GoldCoaster

imported post

Gmofftarki wrote:
Yeah... I walked in there and felt sorta "awkward" like I was buying tampons for a girlfriend...

They didn't bat an eye, handed me the application, and we parted ways.

Pretty impressed actually, at least thus far.
It's a lot less awkward buying those than EPT strips....