• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Man shot while vandalizing neighbor’s home

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

http://www.lacrossetribune.com/articles/2008/10/22/newsupdate/11crawfordshooting.txt
An Eastman woman shot a neighbor Monday evening while trying to scare him away as he smashed more than a dozen windows at her home, authorities said.

A police dog later found Harvey Townsend, 53, in a nearby wooded area with a gunshot wound to the left abdomen, Crawford County Sheriff Jerry Moran said today.
“I can only think of what would have happened if we had not found him,” he said.

Townsend was in fair condition today in the intensive care unit at Gundersen Lutheran Medical Center.

Townsend reportedly used a steel fence post to smash 16 windows at his neighbor’s home about 6:15 p.m. Monday, Moran said.

The 54-year-old told authorities she shot warning rounds from a .22 caliber pistol and didn’t intend to hit Townsend, Moran said.

“I don’t expect she will be charged, but the final decision is that of the (district attorney),” he said.

Townsend may have caused the damage because the woman was not interested in having a romantic relationship, Moran said, adding Townsend was under the influence of alcohol when found Monday.

This was the first incident between the neighbors.

The incident remains under investigation, as police need to speak with Townsend before it can be completed, Moran said.

Townsend could face charges of disorderly conduct and criminal damage to property, Moran said.

smithman

imported post

“I don’t expect she will be charged, but the final decision is that of the (district attorney),” he said.

Newspaper stories about self-defense with firearms always seem to contain this phrase. Prosecution of Lawful self-defense should never even be hinted at because prosecution should never happen.

edit: fixed wording

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

I don't think it's that cut and dried.

1) Warning shots are ill-advised, at best.

2) Statements that she "didn't intend to hit him" suggest negligence.

If she gets no charges, she should consider herself lucky.

If you have shot somebody, or even just at somebody, you better be able to articulate something better than "I didn't intend to hit him."

smithman

imported post

Shotgun, indeed both your points are correct. I was referring to a broader set of newspaper articles which I read a few times a week. Though I bet she's never taken a firearms class. Probably she thinks that proving she didn't intent to hurt someone in self-defense is better than proving that she was left with no other choice. Though in this case as you point out she may have been left with other choices.