• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

(Oklahoma) KSBI TV News Video cites to OpenCarry.org

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

http://www.ksbitv.com/home/32493244.html- with video

Openly Carrying Guns In Public Debate

OfficerInvolvedShooting3401.jpg

Wednesday, October 22, 2008; Posted: 4:25 p.m. (CDT)

Donald Ohse has a vision.

He says, "Currently, we have 1,970 signatures. My personal goal is at least 5,000 signatures."

The Midwest City man is working to gather signatures for a petition to present to lawmakers.

"I want a choice to either be able to have it out in the open or have it concealed," says Ohse.

Jim Cox is with the Oklahoma Association of Chiefs of Police. Cox says, "No, I don't think it's a good idea."

He believes carrying weapons openly could be dangerous.

"If I know that you have it, you have no advantage over me," says Cox. "I have that advantage."

He's worried it's those criminals who would try to take advantage.

He says, "The main thing is consider those circumstances."

Meanwhile, it's something Ohse says he has considered especially since he has a 4-year-old daughter.

Ohse says, "I want people to know that most criminals aren't going to have a weapon out in the open because they don't want to draw attention to themselves."

He admits there are benefits to both. But he still believes, those who carry guns should ultimately have the choice.

"I feel it's a right that we have and if you don't exercise your rights, you're bound to lose them," says Ohse.

There is also a web site that's pushing for the right to carry guns in public. It's called www.opencarry.org. On the web site, there is a link to the petition. It's located at http://www.petitiononline.com/oc4ok/petition.html.

As for Jim Cox, he just wants to stress to people keep in mind the possible ramifications.