• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Home Depot in Oak Harbor

Cougar125

imported post

My wife works at Home Depot here in town. I usually work nights and on Wednesdays I get off early to pick the kids up from daycare so she doesn't miss work.

Well, I had my pistol locked in the truck so when I went to switch vehicles, I chose to OC through the store then to the gas station across the parking lot. Walking through HD, I stopped and talked to my wife's manager (sone of the store Assistant Managers)for a few minutes to see how he'd been doing. He didn't hint that he had noticed my firearm nor did he say anything about. I really don't think he noticed it. After speaking with him I walked down the front raceway (front aisle) passing many customers and HD associates. It seemed everybody was pretty complacent with what was going on. I stopped and looked at the tool endcaps (the ends of the aisles with products) to see if there were any deals on a tool I didn't have. I noticed the people that passed me by and kept myself aware of my surroundings. Again, it seems to me that the common citizen in this country has given themselves a false sense of security, the "nothing is going to happen if I go out" ideation.

Fast Forward...

I find my wife and talk to her for a few minutes. We walk back to the break room so I can have the van keys. There are the Department Supervisors sitting around doing paperwork and all the stuff customers don't usually get to see. Nobody seems to even notice that I'm there. Had a person with ill intent come into the store, I think nobody would've been able to intervene because it was "just another day" or "just another trip" to the store. Why does this concern me? My own wife didn't even notice that I was carrying. When she does notice, she asks me why and thats about as far as it goes.

Fast Forward...

I pick the kids up from the babysitters, a friend of ours that loves it when I OC, and he doesn't notice until I'm carrying until I turn to leave. All he wanted to know was if there was one in the chamber. I simply smiled. We then discussed the desperation of of some people lately. IIRC it was Monday that a Mount Vernon man robbed a bank in Sedro Wooley then shot at a LEO behind the HD in Burlington.

Ok...enough of my blabbering. I just feel that people are too unaware of what is going on around. Other than nobody saying anything while I was out, it was a good carry.

bluer1

imported post

Wow, I wonder why it hasn't been in the paper. I usually keep my eyes peeled for things like that. Maybe I missed it? Anyone find a net article?

shakul

imported post

I've noticed this too in Downtown, I mean if you spend two minutes walking with me you'll notice one of two things, that I'm a twitchy bastard (I look everywhere) and I don't walk on the same side of the street for more than 3 blocks... This is not because I'm paranoid but because I've lived in 3rd world countries where you learn to watch your back without having to turn around. You learn to look everywhere at the same time while at the same time not tripping over the people in front of you.

But yea most people are oblivious to those who OC, case and point I had this school group project and we were meeting up at a Starbucks; which is three blocks from my apt building. I got there first then one of the guys in the group shows up and he's like "Ok cool you carry." this comment though came cause when I sit down I move my holster so that it's over my pocket that way I'm not sitting on it and the first thing you see when you look at me sitting down is a gun in a holster... However when the two others in my group showed up I had already stood up and they ordered coffee then we moved to another part of the Starbucks (to a table) to discuss our project. In the transition to the table I was talking to the guy (the other two are girls) about concealed carry and open carry. When one of the girls hears me say "Yea I usually just take the bus, it's allowed to carry on it if you have a CPL" she then asks me "What's a CPL?" she did not know I was talking about. So I told her "Concealed Pistol License, I was just telling <Insert name of group member :p> about how I usually either carry concealed or open carry." She clearly had not see the gun strapped to my hip. She goes on to say "Oh wow they actually allow that? Isn't that ilegal? You're not carrying now are you? Oh my God why do you have a gun? Don't you live like two blocks from here?" as I was about to reply the friend she had come in with says "Uhm I carry, you never know when you might need to defend yourself and Seattle is a pretty scary town, specially if you're a woman walking alone" when I heard this all I could do was laugh; I thought it was the funniest thing. Some background on them is that these two had known each other for about 2 years now and they were in the same graduating class.

heresolong

imported post

OTOH your typical bad guy isn't going to walk around shopping with his pistol in an OC holster. I wonder how many people might have noticed if you had snuck in with your pistol in your waistband, acting furtive, etc. Probably would have been more.

carhark

Opt-Out Members
Kitsap & Whatcom Counties, Washington, USA
imported post

I think it is ideal when nobody says anything when you carry. I don't carry for the purpose of eliciting comments, or for others to notice; I carry for self-defense. I don't want to be bothered by anyone, but rather just to go about my business without incident like every other normal citizen. We don't expect comments on, say, a belt we wear when we go into public, and nor should we expect comments on any other possession we choose to carry with us.

Cougar125 wrote:
Other than nobody saying anything while I was out, it was a good carry.

Cougar125

imported post

carhark wrote:
I think it is ideal when nobody says anything when you carry. I don't carry for the purpose of eliciting comments, or for others to notice; I carry for self-defense. I don't want to be bothered by anyone, but rather just to go about my business without incident like every other normal citizen. We don't expect comments on, say, a belt we wear when we go into public, and nor should we expect comments on any other possession we choose to carry with us.
True. From everything I've read though and the few time I've carried it seemed a bit akward that nobody said anything. I guess I'm just acustomed to people asking me about it...even if it is a short comment.

Triple Tap

imported post

If you would all like to read a very interesting book on why some people notice things and some dont. go find a copy of this book.

http://www.amazon.com/Blink-Power-T...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1224799321&sr=8-1

We use in it in sales training, but it dives into a lot of how people thin slice everything they come into contact with in world and use that information naturally. How someone can, in a split second, size up an opponent and come to a conclusion.

easy read.

unknownsailor

imported post

Oak Harbor refugee reporting in, currently overseas...

Glad to see OC is practiced by someone around town. I plan to OC also if I get the orders I want. Been carrying concealed on my permit up until I left last year.

Has WSDOT finished widening Route 20 by Burlington? They were just getting started when I left...

fatalhubris

imported post

Bout two or three weeks ago my other half and I were grabbing lunch at the Safeway in Monroe. As we were leaving there was a younger guy walking in wearing dark slacks, zipped lightweight jacket and a clearly visible sidearm in a plastic holster. He was relatively clean-cut and at first I thought he was possibly working for an armored car service. But I didn’t see any patches and when I got outside no truck. so maybe I finally saw a unicorn. Point is this all took place in a mater of seconds and she was completely oblivious. She asked what I was looking at and I when I told her “the kid that just walked into the store with a gun.” she was surprised and was doing the where is he thing…(yea I was screwing with her a bit) I told her it was ok it was holstered. She calmed down a bit after that….heh…

Cougar125

imported post

The 20 project from sharps corner to burlington is about 70% done. Now they're working on the Deception Pass to Sharps Corner section.