• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gubernator Says "Hasta la Vista" to Proposed California Open Carry Ban!

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

[align=center]OpenCarry.org
[/align]

[align=center]For Immediate Release – October 23, 2008[/align]
[align=center]Gubernator Says “Hasta la Vista”[suP][suP][1][/suP][/suP]to Proposed California Open Carry Ban

[/align]
[align=center]Senator Jack Scott’s S.B. 1171 Crushed[suP][suP][2][/suP][/suP] by Veto[/align]

[align=left]OpenCarry.org congratulates Governor Schwarzenegger for responding to our May 30, 2008 press release[suP][suP][3][/suP][/suP][suP] [/suP]and standing with the open carry movement by vetoing S.B. 1171, the Brady Campaign’s “top priority”[suP][suP][4][/suP][/suP] bill for California in 2008.

In most states adults may openly carry loaded handguns in public without any license. This is true in most of California as well because most of California is unincorporated land. In incorporated areas of California, state law requires openly carried guns be unloaded, e.g., magazine kept separately in a magazine pouch on one’s belt while walking through the Santa Monica Mall.

S.B. 1171 would have extended the current ban on openly carrying LOADED handguns in incorporated areas to essentially **ALL of California while in any vehicle,** i.e., “prohibit a person from carrying a loaded firearm in a vehicle while in any public place or on any public street, public road, or public highway in any part of an unincorporated territory.”[suP][suP][5][/suP][/suP]

As a legal matter S.B. 1171 would have superseded People v. Knight, 121 Cal.App.4th 1568 (Cal. App. 3 Dist. 2004) (holding that the open carry of LOADED handguns in or outside of vehicles is lawful in unincorporated areas except where locally prohibited).[suP][/suP]

OpenCarry.org calls on the California Legislature to come back next session prepared to conform California law to the Second Amendment’s right to openly carry handguns[suP][suP][6][/suP][/suP] by repealing the state ban on carrying loaded handguns in incorporated areas of California.[/align]

[align=center]###[/align]

[align=left]Media Contacts[/b]:

OpenCarry.org co-founders:
John Pierce:
John@OpenCarry.org

Mike Stollenwerk: Mike@OpenCarry.org

[suP][suP][1][/suP][/suP][suP] [/suP]Listen to http://politicalhumor.about.com/library/multimedia/arnold_hastalavistababy.wav

[suP][suP][2][/suP][/suP] Listen to http://politicalhumor.about.com/library/multimedia/arnold_conan.wav

[suP][suP][3][/suP][/suP] [/i]See [/i]opencarry.org/Press/May-30-08.pdf.

[suP][suP][4][/suP][/suP] See http://www.bradycampaign.org/legislation/state/news.php.

[suP][suP][5][/suP][/suP][suP] [/suP]See S.B. 1171 at http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/07-08/bill/sen/sb_1151-1200/sb_1171_bill_20080822_enrolled.html.

[suP][suP][6][/suP][/suP] District of Columbia v. Heller[/i][/b][/i][/b], 128 S.Ct. 2783, 2793-2798 (2008) (“bear means to carry” but concealed carry is not constitutionally protected).
[/align]

Anubis

imported post

It's good that the governormade the pro-gun decision on this one. I heard that he previously signed an anti-gun micro-stamping bill into law. Seems inconsistent...

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I bet he probably saw how rediculous this was. . . This law would have done ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to prevent or reduce crime, or increase safety.

Micro-stamping was a way for him to say he is tough on crime...but without anything being really committed or done.

demnogis

imported post

I'm glad this frivilous legislation was struck down. As stated, it wouldn't circumvent crime at all. It was originally proposed on an emotional front with the assumption that making transportation or carrying in un-incorporated areas would deter crime. Inversely, it would make criminals of those who legally do so.

mpolo79

imported post

Great news! It's hard to wait for ultimate success but victories like these yield much motivation to carry responsibly, quietly, and with an eye towards steadily and incrementally acclimating people to accept open carry by law abiding citizens.

FreedomJoyAdventure

imported post

This was a pleasant surprise.

I've read that Arnold admires dictators, and so many Hollywood actors (Sly Stallone, for example) have gun permits but think the rest of us shouldn't.

And then there was all that talk of changing the Constitution so Arnold could run for President.