• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

open carry law, state or u.s. issue?

mjarnold

imported post

If it is in the Constitution for us to have the "right to bare arms", shouldn't it be up to the U.S. to decide if we can open carry, not the individual states? It should be all or none.

Of course, I would side with all states should be legal to open carry.

Also, why can't I buy a gun in Texas or Arkansas if I am a Florida resident?:question::question: Shouldn't I be able to purchase in any state if I have a valid U.S. id?:cuss:

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

mjarnold wrote:
If it is in the Constitution for us to have the "right to bare arms", shouldn't it be up to the U.S. to decide if we can open carry, not the individual states? It should be all or none.

Of course, I would side with all states should be legal to open carry.

Also, why can't I buy a gun in Texas or Arkansas if I am a Florida resident?:question::question: Shouldn't I be able to purchase in any state if I have a valid U.S. id?:cuss:

It already is a "right to bear arms" at the national level. It's just that some of the states, and locales, have decided to pervert that right. I understand what you're suggesting, but I would caution this. It is a very bad thing to move more power to the central government while removing it from state governments. This is not what the Framers had in mind at all. The more limited the federal government is, the better for all of us. If it was left up to the feds to "decide if we can open carry", then they can just as easily decide that we all cannot.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Welcome to OCDO.

Your questions are deeper than you realize - and mostly already addressed here and there, somewhere on OCDO. Read for a while and not of the easy shotgun-chic and I-love-guns threads.

For a start, the Second Amendment has not been 'incorporated' against the States.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA KMA$$

mjarnold

imported post

I was thinking along those lines too. I would be afraid that they would rule that wewouldn't be able toopen carry.

It's unfortunate how some of these laws and rights get infringed on like this. You would think it would be a no brainer that we should be able to open carry in any state. Goes to show you what a few wack jobs can do when there isn't any body that cares there to stop them.