Thread: Refinished 91/30s and M44

Post imported post

From the BIG 5 Sporting Goods 91/30 sale and an M44 I picked up at the Spokane Gun Show. I said I would post pics when done... Well I have been done for a while but just finally decided to get the photos onto a computer and online.

Starting with the M44:

Than a 1942 Tula 91/30 that had a nice surprise of a laminate stock underneath the red shelac... Left it blonde:

Here is another 1942 Tula, refinished in a brown, don't know how I feel about this one yet:

And finally a 1943 Izhevsk also left natural as a blonde:

Post imported post

Excellent! May I ask what you refinishing process involved? I've got a 91/30 (hex receiver) that I would love to clean up, but don't really know where to start.

Thanks!
    Support these forums, please donate if you are able to OpenCarry.Org!

Post imported post

Anyone have some parts laying around for a M44 or 91/30? I'm looking for a magazine spring.

Post imported post

So this is why you take the day off you jerk??? To make me sit a desk all day while you take pictures of your toys??? jackhole....

Post imported post

K_Bjornstad wrote:
    So this is why you take the day off you jerk??? To make me sit a desk all day while you take pictures of your toys??? jackhole....
    ROFL!!!

Those look very nice David. The brown looks very close to the original color with the shellac; if that's what you were going for, I'd say leave it as-is.
    B.S. Chemistry UofWA '09
    KF7GEA

Post imported post

I hope they zapped you blind as a bat and left you with no sonar!! so you would be a truly deaf and dumb bat..well..you see my point!!! i'm just kidding, i like your shift. sitting all day with my thumb in my butt is just fun as all hell!!

Post imported post

K_Bjornstad wrote:
    You know very well my surgery wasn't until the afternoon needed to fill the morning somehow

State Researcher

Post imported post

Nice rifles!

Post imported post

Jamfish wrote:
    Excellent! May I ask what you refinishing process involved? I've got a 91/30 (hex receiver) that I would love to clean up, but don't really know where to start.

Thanks!
    First completely dissasemble the whole rifle. All metal parts get a soaking and cleaning in mineral spirits. The barrel takes many cleanings with spirits, than hoppes, than final lubricant coat.

The wood components first get baked to clean out the cosmoline. Many methods on how to do this, I used the oven, but you can find others online.

Than I used easy off spray oven cleaner to strip off all the shelac. It takes 2 coats. Wait 15 minutes after applying coat than clean off with hot water.

Next you sand lightly. Than finish with either a stain, or just a finish coat. Again many ones you can choose, just look around.