• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

no piece of paper?

Marlo

imported post

some guy tried to beat me up and when the cops showed up they took my gun and permit as evidence against the guy. i just got my gun back but the permit wasnt with it. it was damaged and covered in blood so i just assume they disposed of it. so meanwhile i'm trying to scrounge up some extra cash to go get a replacement and i dont actually have the piece of paper in my pocket. am i still good to go? or if asked to produce it will i get in trouble for not having it? it seems to me unreasonable to persecute me for not having it since it's a special circumstance. and i certainly didnt commit a crime or lose any rights

DEROS72

imported post

You being the victim here I find insane they would take YOUR gun and permit!!!!When I got my permit I scanned it into my computer incase I lost the original I can print a copy.

911Boss

Gone... Nutty as squirrel **** around here
imported post

No where near enough infoto be able to offer much here. Did you ASK where your permit was?

As to whether you'd be ok, the law says you need to have the permit in your possession. 1000 people could tell you otherwise, but that doesn't change the law. My advice would be to not carry concealed until you have the permit in hand.

The penalty for not having it with you is pretty minor (civil infraction, not even criminal) so long as you have one. For all you know, they may for some reason have invalidated it and you are not entitled to one, in which case CC does become a criminal issue.

You need to roll your sleeves up and do the leg work to resolve the matter.

911Boss

imported post

DEROS72 wrote:
You being the victim here I find insane they would take YOUR gun and permit!!!!When I got my permit I scanned it into my computer incase I lost the original I can print a copy.

This raises an interesting question, is a copy valid? The law says: "Every licensee shall have his or her concealed pistol license in his or her immediate possession at all times that he or she is required by this section to have a concealed pistol license and shall display the same upon demand to any police officer or to any other person when and if required by law to do so".

Anyone had occasion to present a copy when requested by an officer? If so, were there any problems?

Bear 45/70

imported post

911Boss wrote:
No where near enough infoto be able to offer much here. Did you ASK where your permit was?

As to whether you'd be ok, the law says you need to have the permit in your possession. 1000 people could tell you otherwise, but that doesn't change the law. My advice would be to not carry concealed until you have the permit in hand.

The penalty for not having it with you is pretty minor (civil infraction, not even criminal) so long as you have one. For all you know, they may for some reason have invalidated it and you are not entitled to one, in which case CC does become a criminal issue.

You need to roll your sleeves up and do the leg work to resolve the matter.
You have no idea how much this hurts! But I agree with 911 on this.:shock:

Slugger

imported post

Duh, why didn't I think of that before. Everyone should have a backup copy around in a secured location. I'm interested to find out if a copy is in fact valid . . . . I'd much rather carry the copy.

Slugger

Slugger

imported post

Well Monroe PD says no . . . it's like a driver's license and the original must be on your person. However they agreed that it was an excellent idea to have a backup copy at home in case.

Slugger

Marlo

imported post

wow you guys are all over the place lol ... 1. of course i talked to them they talked to me etc etc i'm not revoked for getting assaulted lol that doesnt even make sense. infact they said i should have just shot the guy haha but there were people standing around it was a tough choice i decided not to. 2. they held the firearm and piece of paper as evidence i was assaulted. but the guy plead guilty so they returned the gun pretty quick. but not the paper because it was covered in blood 3. i went and asked for a replacement but i didnt have the fee so they said well come back with money and you can get one

i'm sure they wouldnt actually try to stick me for not having it on me while i await the replacement, they can even verify it was legitimately damaged / lost. heck they are the ones who disposed of it lol

besides, even if it means i can't carry concealed, that just means i gotta switch to open carry lol which is the one that causes a ruckus when you go out.

oh and a photocopy of a permit is not a permit lol ever show a bartender a photocopy? lol you guys are silly

heres a picture of me. i'm on the right. the far right.

Marlo

imported post

oh another thing i was wondering... the state crime victim program people want me to decide between taking the guy to civil court and waiving that right and letting them pursue him directly. cuz they paid the bills. what do you think? the medical bills were like 6k so i was thinkin maybe have a lawyer get the 6k plus an extra 6 that we could split? i still have like 5 weeks to decide so im just askin around first

911Boss

imported post

I'd make sure it's a cow and not a steer before you try to milk it. Assuming the person has the resources to pay, an attorney working on your behalf is probably going to do better than the state. They will probably only look to collect their costs and not be concerned with anykind of punitive or "pain and suffering" type compensation.

If you don't mind, would be interested inhearing the whole story, what happened, how it started, how it ended...

Marlo

imported post

well i said above what happened... i guess you mean play by play call . i was playin an online video game at a friends house, he was napping. i was kinda goofin around with another friend who was online playing and i was like hey i can get you some items or whatever and he was like no i dont want them and i was like really cuz they are excellent and everybody wants them i was like hmm thats weird you're weird about some stuff on this game lol and i guess he had a psychotic mental breakdown and like 5 minutes later he showed up and like snuck up behind me and started slappin me in the face and in the chest and was like i'm really mad about what you said in the video game! and i just froze and he walked out of the room and i was like umm ok and went to see if he left but he was on the back porch and i was like dude you cant do that i'll shoot you in self defense i dunno if you are jokin or going psycho . then he got all back up on me and resumed slappin me and punchin my chest and telling me to shoot him. i said i have a gun and he just kept saying go get a gun. i was like i already have it. he just kept pointing and saying go get it. so i just told him hes a freak and having a mental breakdown and kept trying to walk away but he wouldnt let me (big guy) and he just kept going and going and finally i was like dude i'm walking away and if you make one more move its medical bills and felony charges for you. well he blocked my path again and started to raise his hand again so i took a quick step back and pulled my glock out of my pants and pointed it right at his face and his face went white and he turned and walked away. at that point some neighbor kids called the cops. so i followed him inside and was like well youre f'd now. cops on the way. lets just wait for them out front. so we walk out front and we are standing there and my napping friend all the sudden comes out and is like who called the cops to my house!? and i was like some kids. and he just all the sudden started grabbin for my gun and i was like oh god time to start shootin but there was a ton of neighbors out and so i didnt wanna hit anyone else and i took a few steps back and then he started chasin me so i ran out into the street and purposely let him catch up and he tackled me and threw the gun aside and punched me in the face 12 times as hard as he could and while he was punching i was like dude you gotta stop or they will charge you with attempted murder but he was in a psycho blood rage then i yelled to some of the bystanders keep the gun away so he cant go on a shooting spree then he stopped hitting me and got up and walked away and i got right up (because i really am the toughest guy youd ever meet) and said hey you might wanna have that hand checked out. turns out he broke it. and an ankle. then the cops rolled up and arrested the 2 psychos and left me to the medics.

thebastidge

2519 E Fourth Plain Blvd, Vancouver Washington, US
imported post

Maybe I'm wrong, but I seem to detect a faint whiff of BS...

Why exactly did the CPL have blood on it? I would assume it was in your wallet... was everything else soaked with blood? Must have been an awful lot of blood to soak through (presumably) a leather wallet and whatever else you had in your pocket to stain the CPL.

Why exactly was the CPL evidence? Since the fact that one has a CPL is a matter of public record, and it a document you require on a daily basis of you carry all the time, it doesn't make sense that this is the one piece of blood-stained evidence required to make a case, and not the shirt, or pants you were wearing. Did they sieze and dispose of anything else that was bloodstained?

Did you request your property back (CPL) and demand an explanation for the disposal and recompense for replacement?

Marlo

imported post

well my face and hand were bleeding so it got bloody when i pulled it out of my pocket . and it's pretty standard procedure to lockdown a crime scene and tag everything as possible evidence. and i'm assuming they took the gun to have it printed to corroborate the story of him grabbing it. anddd the cops around here in my part of wa are pretty cool and they dont mess with peoples 2nd amendment right so its really not a big deal plus its not my only gun

oh and i got up and turned around and looked for my gun and started to walk over to it and some hero-type bystander got inbetween it and me and was like i'm not letting you get the gun so i showed him the permit and was like this gives me the right to carry that gun so unless you can show some credentials that prove you have authority over me you cant stop me. and he's all "i dont care" and i was like you dont care about the law? well you lay your hands on me and you'll be arrested too...you care about that? but before i could sidestep him the cops were on the scene guns drawn and i had to get down. plus i needed the witnesses to say i hadnt done anything wrong so i didnt want to get into it with him anyways.