• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

standard or reverse?

Marlo

imported post

i just made a new holster out of some nice leather.... its a pretty tight fit but its open so i was thinking instead of keeping it on my right hip where someone could grab it from behind...do the reverse and put it on my left hip butt forward ... old west cross draw style. what do ya think? i never really tried it before

heres a picture of me. i'm on the right. the far right.

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

Some people like crossdraw. It makes it easier to draw while sitting and has a few other advantages, but also has its disadvantages like a longer sweeping draw. I guess it comes to personal preference.

I never really thought about it in terms of retention but I suppose if the grip was forward angledit could be an advantage.

WARCHILD

imported post

Crossdraw, without a doubt. Of course I have a biased opinion(I have always carried this way). The best advantage to it is security and retention. No one can grab it from behind. I wear mine at 9:00 while driving or sitting.... move it to 11:00 (next to my spare tire) while I'm walking. Second advantage..... quick access if needed. Of course this is all personal prefference and opposing arguments. As for the quick draw, if something goes down, it's not like a gunfight for a long draw swing. It's going to be, find cover and defend yourself. Try it anyway you want and decide what's most comfortable for you.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

one could just wear two 1911's...
urbane.jpg

JBURGII

imported post

OH great.. thanks.. now I WANT two 1911s.. AND that belt.. sigh..

I have found the crossdraw position comfortable in and out of a vehicle and fairly quick to pull and present if I step back right foot for smaller forward presentation.

This also depends on where the target is...

J

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

TheMrMitch wrote:
M1....That rig is beautiful. I shot competition in the late 70s using a Bianchi Cross Draw with my Colt Gold Cup.:dude:
I told the wife I want that for Fathers Day. $580 custom sized.

OldManMontgomery

imported post

Greetings, Marlo.

The biggest problem with cross draw holsters is they're difficult to conceal. Obviously, that problem is herein removed.

Seeing as driving is a major part of life for most of us, a strong side holster is not very handy when wearing a seatbelt. The cross draw strikes me as very useful - unless you get hugged a lot in your daily routine.

G. Wm Davis used to make a really nice open carry cross draw rig. I don't know if he's still in business or if anyone else makes a truly good item. Most of the competition rigs from the earlier times projected out from the body more than would be desired for daily carry.

The old Baker Pancake holster works very well in this application.

I'd say the basic thought is sound.

And just out of idle curiosity, how did you get in that picture; or get a copy thereof?

thx997303

imported post

Old west cross draw? Last I checked, the sword was used strong hand during the civil war, and so the weapon was fired weak hand, and drawn palm outward. Hence the butt forward position. This then carried over into the rest of the century.

Not cross draw, but off hand draw.

But cross draw works okay. I don't like it much though.