• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Well, that was a logical response...

tricityguy

imported post

Prosser expels 4 after gun brought to school.

Four students at Housel Middle School in Prosser were emergency expelled Wednesday after an Airsoft pistol was brought to school.

Airsoft pistols fire plastic pellets.

Let's count the idiots in this scenario:

1. School officials, for their asinine policies! Check!
2. Police, for bothering to respond at all? Check!
3. Kids, for bringing a plastic "gun" to school when they know darn well there will be serious repercussions, however ridiculous they may be? Check!

I'm sure district officials are "taking this seriously" and will continue to aggressively protect our children from plastic BBs that might sting a bit if they hit bare skin.

Now, just wait for prosecutors to file felony charges...

911Boss

Gone... Nutty as squirrel **** around here
imported post

It is the "Notolerance" mentality at it's finest. God forbid we use reason and common sense, especially in a place (school) where people are supposed to be learning how to think (note I didn't say what to think) andreason.

Come to think of it, schools are alsoone of the places that push so hard for "tolerance" in other areas.

My son's elementary suspended a third grader for bringing a "gun" to school. It was a GI Joe type figure that as part of the figure, had a 1911 molded into the hand.

And we wonderwhy people have such a irrational reaction to firearms....

Edited to add- I can't fault the cops, if the report was of a possible gun at school, I would expect them to respond. Once it was determined to be an Airsoft REPLICA, then they should have (and probably did) bow out.

Airsofts aren't "guns" they are toys or replica's. Paper is inflamatory by the headline they wrote. There was no GUN at the school, there was a disallowed TOY at the school and that is what the kids have been expelled for.

bluer1

imported post

I love airsoft! The problem schools have with them is that they are to scale replicas (the tournament grade ones, Tokyo Marui, classic army, etc.) correct in size/weight/action. The good ones cost upwards of $300 + upgrades (barrels, batteries, gearboxes) and shoot a plastic 25gr. pellet at 350fps+. It's great full auto fun for people that want something more realistic than paintball. They hurt a little more than a paintball, but you absolutely must wear a mask to prevent broken teeth/sight loss. If you guys ever get a chance, try it, it's a blast. Lots of ex-military, myself included play.

Here's a pic of my wife with my g36c airsoft rifle.

PICT0014.jpg

PT111

imported post

In most cities it is illegal to fire a gun inside the city limits. Did you know that in many if not most cases that includes airsoft guns, bb guns, bow and arrows, sling shots etc. and makes no distinctionabout toys. I realize it is rarely enforced but it is illegal and if someone can provide a definite line to be drawn on what to include and what not to other than include nothing you will be way ahead of the school officials and their asinine policies. Maybe then you should run for school board or city council and straighten things out.

911Boss

Gone... Nutty as squirrel **** around here
imported post

PT111 wrote:
In most cities it is illegal to fire a gun inside the city limits. Did you know that in many if not most cases that includes airsoft guns, bb guns, bow and arrows, sling shots etc. and makes no distinctionabout toys. I realize it is rarely enforced but it is illegal and if someone can provide a definite line to be drawn on what to include and what not to other than include nothing you will be way ahead of the school officials and their asinine policies. Maybe then you should run for school board or city council and straighten things out.
Washington has had a definite line drawn for quite a while. A "gun" (firearm) is defined as a "weapon or device from which a projectile or projectiles may be fired by an explosive such as gunpowder." The problem is the schools don't us the legal definition of what a weapon is, they make up their own (kind of like the antis determining that black plastic and a pistol grip turns a rifle into an assault weapon).

Most laws prohibit discharge of "firearms" inside city limits and BB guns, Airsoft, etc are NOT included. Some cities may have ordinance about "Air Rifles", but I am not aware of any.

The schools my area is list "possession of firearms, weapons, or other dangerous objects, including toy or facsimile weapons;" as "Exceptional Misconduct" and grounds for immediate expulsion.

Charles Paul Lincoln

imported post

While I wouldn't support a permanent expulsion of middle school student for having an airsoft gun at school, it is important to note this was an emergency expulsion. The emergency expulsion is intended to give the school a means of immediately excluding a student that may present a danger or risk of substantial and material disruption. (note the emphasis)

The 10-day appeal window quoted in the article isn't quite right. The parents can appeal within 10 days, but in that same 10 days the district must decide whether they are going to let the students return, convert the emergency expulsion to a suspension, or permanently expel the students. Before they can long-term suspend a student or permently expel a student, they have to provide due process in the form of a hearing. The emergency expulsion gets the students out of the school until the hearing is scheduled.

That being said, it would be assanine to long-term suspend or expel middle school students for this behavior. The zero-tolerance laws and policies infuriate me as a former educator -- they do not take into account that many high school students and essentially all middle-school students (and younger) have no capability or minimal capability of abstract thought. That is, they think in concrete terms and cannot necessarily foresee the consequences of their actions. They also are probably not capable of extrapolating rules to "grey areas" -- in this case, I would imagine if the rule said "guns are prohibited" they would think "guns" literally, not "toy guns." (I thought everbody who has ever been around a middle schooler understood that they don't think before they act -- teaching them to do so is part of what school is supposed to do!)

I'll finish my rant with this -- the gun free schools act, like other gun control legislation, was pushed by the Dems. Those same Dems like to point out how we need to dump more and more money into the schools because of the high dropout rates and poor test scores. They apparently aren't capable of abstract thought, either. It seems pretty obvious that if you expel a kid for a year, he won't graduate on time, and is probably headed toward a lot of problems after he gets done with the juvenile court, etc. But the Dems can't make that connection.

What we need is an army of angry gun owners and parents with expelled kids to descend on Olympia this session and change the statute. Something like this:

:cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss:

Edited for typo.

PT111

imported post

Sec. 14-19. Weapons--Discharge.
It shall be unlawful for any person to use, shoot or discharge any gun, pistol, rifle or other firearm or any slingshot, bow and arrow, air gun or any device for throwing missiles.
(Code 1973, § 18-32)
State law references: Discharging weapons at or into dwellings, S.C. Code 1976, § 16-23-440.
The code for the city I live in.

bluer1

imported post

PT111 wrote:
Sec. 14-19. Weapons--Discharge.
It shall be unlawful for any person to use, shoot or discharge any gun, pistol, rifle or other firearm or any slingshot, bow and arrow, air gun or any device for throwing missiles.
(Code 1973, § 18-32)
State law references: Discharging weapons at or into dwellings, S.C. Code 1976, § 16-23-440.
The code for the city I live in.
Two words...NERF FIGHT! Also can water be construed as a missile?

kenshin

imported post

John Hardin wrote:
911Boss wrote:
Here is a pic of the gang on one of our outings...
TRIGGER DISCIPLINE!!!:banghead: It's never too early to learn.
That's the first thing I saw too, when I looked at that pic. They may be young, but that's the best time to instill in them the basic principles of firearm safety.