• Firearm

39 32.23%
  • Pistol

16 13.22%
  • Gun

15 12.40%
  • I interchange them all

29 23.97%
  • I call it by Brand (Kimber, Glock, etc)

14 11.57%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Weapon or other (Firearm, Gun, Pistol, Shotgun, Rifle)?

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

I called my firearm a weapon for many years while in the Marine Corps (This in my weapon.. THIS is my GUN, this is for FIGHTING, this is for FUN!)

Then, even before I became a firearms instructor (and the NRA "asked" me not to use the "W" word in training) another senior instructor told me that only two groups use WEAPONS legally. Law enforcement and military. WEAPON(s) are used in an OFFENSIVE tactic. Guns, Pistols, Rifles are used for DEFENSE (unless you are hunting). So.. since we are all being watched by the public all the time.. maybe we should use all the same speak? What do you think about using the W word?

As a pilot, for years we called airports with no Tower.. an UNCONTROLLED AIRPORT. That scared the crap out of non-pilots, passengers and those that lived close by. Now we call those airports "Non-Towered Airports" and everyone feels safer. I think the gun/pistol/firearm community should take a lesson.

Going to lunch with a sidearm or pistol sounds much more friendly that going with a WEAPON!

Ed
    Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Post imported post

I'm the same, Ed. During my Navy career, firearms were always called "weapons." Once I took the training to become an NRA Instructor, I purged it from my vocabulary, and although I'm no longer an Instructor, I still don't use the term.

Post imported post

I tend to use the term Pistol or Firearm. In my mind they have less of a negative connotation than Weapon or Gun, but in a gun grabber's mind they're all equally naughty terms I'm sure.

I remember being really big into paintball a few years ago, and I too didn't use the term gun to reference my paintball marker. Marker was the more "politically correct" term and I used it to get more people into the sport.

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA

Post imported post

I say handgun, since you get a handgun permit or firearm. The NRA still frowns upon the use of "weapon"
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Post imported post

Personally, I call it what it is and what I use it for.

To Military/LEO folks: They are trained that it is a weapon. Whether I agree with that or not is kind of irrelavant. To them thats what it is and it will always be.

Now if your wearing a Civilian Hat, acting in the capacity of a Civilian (even though you maybe in the military) rules of engagement have changed. Your Firearm is strickly defensive. Therefore is it a weapon? I say no its not.

If one uses a pistol to defend oneself, and your on the stand, when asked by the prosecuting attorney (remember your butt is on the line) what sounds better.

I pulled my weapon, because he had a weapon.

or

I pulled my defensive firearm because he had a weapon.

You are always using it in reaction to an aggressor. Even the state of Virginia states it on your permit that it is a Handgun permit not a a Weapon permit.

Some will say its irrelavant. I say well if its my butt on the line and I'm defending my self on the stand from a prosecuting attorney, I'm going to use any thing in my tool box to save my skin both verbal and non verbal.

Post imported post

rob99vmi04 wrote:
    If one uses a pistol to defend oneself, and your on the stand, when asked by the prosecuting attorney (remember your butt is on the line) what sounds better.

I pulled my weapon, because he had a weapon.

or

I pulled my defensive firearm because he had a weapon.

You are always using it in reaction to an aggressor. Even the state of Virginia states it on your permit that it is a Handgun permit not a a Weapon permit.

Some will say its irrelavant. I say well if its my butt on the line and I'm defending my self on the stand from a prosecuting attorney, I'm going to use any thing in my tool box to save my skin both verbal and non verbal.
    +1 and I think we should educate the newbies on this as well.
    Carry On.

Ed

- - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

I agree that we all should speak and write with precision and especially on the subjects of law, advocacy and defense.

Post imported post

Just on a personal note. I was in a class one time and the instructor called guns weapons.

The class was for a permit to carry a concealed firearm in that state. One of the older ladies in the class finally couldn't bear it any longer and got up in tears and walked out of class.

After stopping her, I asked if she was okay. With tears in her eyes she said she was taking the class obtain her permit to carry a firearm because of what had happened to a member in her family who was murdered. At the trial the she kept hearing the word "WEAPON" thrown around. The devicelabeled asa weaponwasactually a claw hammer which was used by the murderer to kill IIRC her daughter. She couldn't bear hearing the instructor say it anylonger because it was bringing up bad memories.

In this case the term usage made this person not want to carry a gun for a simple incorrect term usage. I know a lot of people think its not a big deal to inner change the term I say I couldn't agree with you less. Turning somebody off to carrying a gun, because somebody wants to sound cool calling a Firearm a weapon is in my mind a lack of understanding of what their actually teaching expecially if their teaching courses civilians can use to obtain a carry permit.

Post imported post

The only reason I don't normally say "weapon" is because people who don't know about firearms seem to associate "weapon" with "assault", "offensive", and "criminal" even though they can be (and are use more as) "defensive weapons"

I say gun, firearm, pistol, revolver, rifle, shotgun, and more rarely, handgun.

Post imported post

gun for handguns, machineguns, shotguns. Rifle or weapon for the rest

Post imported post

"Weapon" or "Sidearm."

Post imported post

Typically? Weapon.

Rarely: Firearm.

More-often-than-rarely: Gun.
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

Post imported post

Now I pay $5.00 in my classes ifI used the W word to the student the points it out first. Some days it is really hard as I used to say W for years andyears.. but NO MORE.

Just like those of us in Virginia should call the permit a CHP and not a CWP or a CCW, etc. People learn from us.. we should teach them correctly.

EFS
    Carry On.

Ed

- - - -

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA

Post imported post

ed wrote:
    Just like those of us un Virginia should call the permit a CHP and not a CWP or a CCW, etc. People learn from us.. we should teach them correctly.
    +1
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Post imported post

AbNo wrote:
    Typically? Weapon.

So I guess my question to you (and those others that use the W word in a typical fashion).. would you be willing to use it less or not at all for the greater good?
    Carry On.

Ed

- - - -

Post imported post

I'm an NRA certified instructor. I had it beaten into me to say "firearm".
    --- Gun control: The theory that 110lb. women have the "right" to fistfight with 210lb. rapists.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Main Entry:
    1weap·on
    Pronunciation:
    ˈwe-pən
    Function:
    noun
    Etymology:
    Middle English wepen, from Old English wǣpen; akin to Old High German wāffan weapon, Old Norse vāpn
    Date:
    before 12th century
    1 : something (as a club, knife, or gun) used to injure, defeat, or destroy
    2 : a means of contending against another

weap⋅on 

var interfaceflash = new LEXICOFlashObject ( "http://cache.lexico.com/d/g/speaker.swf", "speaker", "17", "18", " [wep-uhn]

–noun

1. any instrument or device for use in attack or defense in combat, fighting, or war, as a sword, rifle, or cannon.

2. anything used against an opponent, adversary, or victim: the deadly weapon of satire.

You guys do whatever the heck you want, I'm going to call my weapons, weapons if that is what suits me. Arguing that a weapon is indicative of an offensive action is assinine.If someone attacks me, I intend to use whatever weapon(s) is available to defend myself with.

I would love to see a cite that indicates the term weapon is indicative of an offensive engagement.

A Weapon is a type of tool. Firearm, sword, spear, club, etc are all types of weapons. Handgun, shotgun, rifle, etc are all types of firearms, of which pistol and revolvers are types of handguns.

Think folks, think.

Post imported post

Reverend73 wrote:
    You guys do whatever the heck you want, I'm going to call my weapons, weapons if that is what suits me. Arguing that a weapon is indicative of an offensive action is assinine.If someone attacks me, I intend to use whatever weapon(s) is available to defend myself with.

I would love to see a cite that indicates the term weapon is indicative of an offensive engagement.
    A Weapon is a type of tool. Firearm, sword, spear, club, etc are all types of weapons. Handgun, shotgun, rifle, etc are all types of firearms, of which pistol and revolvers are types of handguns.

Think folks, think.
    Rev.. thanks for your service to our country.
    Carry On.

Ed

- - - -

Post imported post

"Weapon" carries emotional connotations. I call it whatever it is: shotgun, rifle, pistol, revolver, knife, club.

Even in the Army I never used "weapon". For one thing, "this is my weapon" implies it's the only tool at your disposal, but my weapon is between my ears. My tools that may be employed as weaponry are not limited to firearms nor blades.

Post imported post

Weapon, gun, pistol, rifle, or whatever. Matters not to me.

I've never met anyone who got upset at the word weapon. Besides, emotional ninnies who'd get upset of one of those words could just as easily get upset at any of them.

Doing smallbore competition as a kid, the coaches called the rifles weapons, as in "Cease fire, ground your weapons." Maybe it was their military background, but no one was emotionally scarred by the experience.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Let's think about this. Most of us carry firearms openly. Sometimes it scares people or evokes an emotional response. This does not stop us from OCing does it? Just because the term "weapon" may evoke somekind of irrational emotional response does not mean I will not use it. I honestly can't even believe some weapon's enthusiasts have a problem using the term. Like it or not, your Glock is a type of weapon. So is my HK, or haji's AK.

Post imported post

Reverend73 wrote:
    Let's think about this. Most of us carry firearms openly. Sometimes it scares people or evokes an emotional response. This does not stop us from OCing does it? Just because the term "weapon" may evoke somekind of irrational emotional response does not mean I will not use it. I honestly can't even believe some weapon's enthusiasts have a problem using the term. Like it or not, your Glock is a type of weapon. So is my HK, or haji's AK.

Your right to some it is, but it depends what hat your wearing. If your in Virginia and your walking around as a civilian. Your gun is not a weapon, if you don't believe me look on the permit and see what the state calls it.

Weapon is a generic term, however, to those who are firearm educators we want to be technically correct in what say.Just like saying bullets and rounds vs. cartridges.

Bullets are a component, a "Round", to some, shooters is 25 targets on a skeet or trap field involving a box of 25 shotgun shells.

Pistol, revovler are all fairly precise in definition. Weapon is generic and can cover anything not excluding firearms if they are such used in the act of violence.

Terminology also depends on your audience. A good and knowledgeable instructor is one that is well rounded and versed in a few areas. Bringing all tactics/terminology from one walk of life to another and teach people that they apply to another may be helpful but may also be illegal if that person is of that mindset and is trained in that school of thought.

I fully discourage teaching/ or reinforcingany civilian walking around the street witha handgun for protection that his gun is a weapon. Civilians have one of the hardest hats to wear when making the decision to pull a pistol/revovler and use it. Civilians are reacting to situations vs. being proactive therefore we are already behind the power curve and we are always going through a defensive OODA loop. If I use my pistol to defend myself I'm certian two things will happen 1) problem in most states is they most certainly will deal with a criminal charge immediately no matter what the circumstance even in a clear cut case of self defense. In Virginia this is almost certainly true,2) I'm probably facing civil litigation as well. Therefore, if I have to use my gun to defend myself, I want to distance myself from anyOffensive ineundomade by anybody toincrease my chances ofsurving a criminal trial and acivil trial.

If you walk around and call it a weapon does it bother me. Most certainly not! I'm no more offended then if you call it a high speed 15 round bullet launcher.

However, remember this: If you shoot somebody in America you have a good chance of being in a court room both criminal and civil. You are not being judged by a jury of 12 peers. Because ifyou where being judged by a jury of your peers and you had a clean shoot i.e. members of OCDO or people that are rational in general, we would take one look at you and say Self Defense whats the problem why are we hear? Can I go home now? Hey Hooters is still serving chicken wings want to tag a long? I'll buy the beer for helping cleanse the gene pool of scum.

The real problem is your facing 12 idiots who could not find a valid way to get out of jury duty or the worseside 12 people who wanted to judge you because they think what you did is wrong. Just remember everything you say can and MOST CERTAINLY WILL BE USED AGAINST YOU. I want every advantageI call it a Defensive Firearm.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Let me be clear. I am not arguing that being more descriptive (ie my rifle is broken vice my weapon is broken) is not the preferred thing to do. I'm arguing that it is not logical to remove the term weapon from your vocabulary because some wrongly assume the term is indicative of an offensive engagement. Like Ed said, many states, such as Florida, have concealed weapons permits simply because they do not limit the type of weapon you may conceal. I think some truly have convinced themselves that their rifle or handgun is not a weapon, well, I hate to break it to you, it is. I also think instructing others that the term weapon indicates an offensive action is wrong and counter-productive.

Post imported post

ed wrote:
    AbNo wrote:
    Typically? Weapon.

So I guess my question to you (and those others that use the W word in a typical fashion).. would you be willing to use it less or not at all for the greater good?
    All right, but only if you can tell me what I should call this, as well.

Do I get bonus points for time in the Service, as well?
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

Post imported post

DrMark wrote:
    Weapon, gun, pistol, rifle, or whatever. Matters not to me.

I've never met anyone who got upset at the word weapon. Besides, emotional ninnies who'd get upset of one of those words could just as easily get upset at any of them.

Doing smallbore competition as a kid, the coaches called the rifles weapons, as in "Cease fire, ground your weapons." Maybe it was their military background, but no one was emotionally scarred by the experience.

I think it should matter. I don't get "upset" at the use of the word.. I choose not to use the word any longer in talking to others about firearms. As a kid I heard it called many things too. Now I am older and wiser... the W word has very negative connotations to it. Maybe those same instructors now don't use the W word either anymore.

I also correctfriends that ask me how many "bullets" are in my extra "clip".

When I posted the topic I did not expect everyone to agree with me 100% (or the NRA). I disagree with the NRA on many fronts.. on this one.. I agree with them.

Ed
    Carry On.

Ed

- - - -

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast