Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Karmas are they forbiddon on OCDO

Post imported post

Just Curious are we allowed to do Karmas here on OCDO.

Post imported post

I've never seen one here, but never anything against it either. We do them all the time on the Sig and S&W forums.

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA

Post imported post

?
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Post imported post

huh?

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Sounds a little discriminatory to me.

Lemme know when we're allowed to do Resurrections and Valhallas.

I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

rob99vmi04 wrote:
    Just Curious are we allowed to do Karmas here on OCDO.

I think some people don't know what a karma is so you have to explain what you mean

Post imported post

WTH are karmas? Something to do with religion?

Post imported post

I don't believe he is talking about religion. If I am correct he is talking about a giveaway. Something laying around he will give away for free. You say I would like to be included in the Karma and then your name is drawn out of a hat and you get the karma. So it is like saying Karma chooses you.

Ex. I have done a karma's before to give away some home made cookies. Most people like to give away gun related things but I love to bake and know most people enjoy cookies. So I can set up some rules if I want for you to enter or I could just say who ever put your name down and then I pick the name out of a hat. Example of a rule would be lets say it is Mother's Day just cause I am a mom I use that as an example because I have done it before. I make a rule that you have to post a nice thing about your mother for Mother's Day to be included in the "karma." So it is pretty much the luck of the draw. It can be called other things also. On 2A forum it is called a PIFF. Pay it foward or something like that.

Post imported post

Naw , y'all got it all wrong. Karma is whatcha call a women who gives birth in da car.

Post imported post

kenny wrote:
    Naw , y'all got it all wrong. Karma is whatcha call a women who gives birth in da car.
    so funny

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

dragonmom wrote:
    SNIP I don't believe he is talking about religion. If I am correct he is talking about a giveaway. Something laying around he will give away for free. You say I would like to be included in the Karma and then your name is drawn out of a hat and you get the karma. So it is like saying Karma chooses you.
    Well, given the connotation of "pollyanna" around here, I guess we'd have to call it something else.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

If it is a new Wilson Combat 1911 CQB, I am in!

Post imported post

"Karma" in this instance refers to a user-rating system, in which people that read another user's threads and posts can give positive or negative points to a person's reputation.

A brief web search found this....

Karma is a built-in function within the Wilders Security Forums that allows a person to award and be awarded points for good forum postings.

The karma points (or cookies as some people call them) are listed on the left side of every member post, under their Member ID, Title and Stars. The format looks like this: Karma: ### Any member can receive karma at any point while they are a member here once they've made their first post.

However, to grant karma to others, you must have a Posts: count of at least 50 in these forums. Once you have made those 50 posts, you will see a new button in the same section of each members posts
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

Post imported post

I don't believe he is talking about religion.
    No, that would be dogma. Dogmas often chase karmas.

Karmas can be for no reason at all, or to celebrate something. For example, I recently did a karma on the S&W forum to celebrate my 1,000th post. I gave away a selection of premium cigars. I also recently won a karma from another member, who sent me a nice old S&W dealer's counter mat.

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA

Post imported post

sounds like fun
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Post imported post

I'm sorry to have to tell you, my Karma just ran over your Dogma.

Post imported post

Decoligny wrote:
    Don't get me started on Discordian catma.

Centurion

Post imported post

AbNo wrote:
    "Karma" in this instance refers to a user-rating system, in which people that read another user's threads and posts can give positive or negative points to a person's reputation.

A brief web search found this....

Karma is a built-in function within the Wilders Security Forums that allows a person to award and be awarded points for good forum postings.

The karma points (or cookies as some people call them) are listed on the left side of every member post, under their Member ID, Title and Stars. The format looks like this: Karma: ### Any member can receive karma at any point while they are a member here once they've made their first post.

However, to grant karma to others, you must have a Posts: count of at least 50 in these forums. Once you have made those 50 posts, you will see a new button in the same section of each members posts
    The old packing.org web site had that kind of rating system. Some loved it, some hated it.

Post imported post

Well, I for one would like it. There's a couple of guys that are allowed to run rampant around here, and I'd like to see the ability to ignore people below a certain karma/rating.

Hell, I'd like the ability to ignore certain people, so their threads never show.

Post imported post

AbNo wrote:
    Decoligny wrote:
    Don't get me started on Discordian catma.
    I prefer running over Catmas. It is much easier than cathing, spaying and releasing them.
    Revelation 1911 - And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Post imported post

AbNo wrote:
    Well, I for one would like it. There's a couple of guys that are allowed to run rampant around here, and I'd like to see the ability to ignore people below a certain karma/rating.

Hell, I'd like the ability to ignore certain people, so their threads never show.
    It would like to be able to give 2 certain people negative points
    Revelation 1911 - And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Post imported post

mobeewan wrote:
    AbNo wrote:

It would like to be able to give 2 certain people negative points

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

John told me back when the forum was small that we wouldn't have those "karma" user rating systems on OCDO. Even if they start out good with the best of intentions, they're too easily misused. I've been on other forums that had them and removed the system due to misuse.

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

Understanding a bit of the religious practice of karma/samsarah, I would say that the virtual practice abuses the word and concept by putting others in the place of God. I/we are responsible for our karma only to ourselves and God.

Some here mistake longevity for karma.

Gentleman Ranker

Post imported post

Fascinating replies, to be sure, but I believe the OP was asking about the practice of giving things away ("paying forward", like) as done on some gun sites. IMHO that would be the only sensible meaning of "doing a karma".

zoom6zoom got it.

Up to the mod(s) of course, but I can't imagine they'd be forbidden. I have doubts as to how well they'd work around here, though. Maybe just try one and see what happens.

Just MHO of course.

regards,

GR

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast