• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Karmas are they forbiddon on OCDO

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Sounds a little discriminatory to me.

Lemme know when we're allowed to do Resurrections and Valhallas.

:)

dragonmom

imported post

rob99vmi04 wrote:
Just Curious are we allowed to do Karmas here on OCDO.

I think some people don't know what a karma is so you have to explain what you mean :)

dragonmom

imported post

I don't believe he is talking about religion. If I am correct he is talking about a giveaway. Something laying around he will give away for free. You say I would like to be included in the Karma and then your name is drawn out of a hat and you get the karma. So it is like saying Karma chooses you.

Ex. I have done a karma's before to give away some home made cookies. Most people like to give away gun related things but I love to bake and know most people enjoy cookies. So I can set up some rules if I want for you to enter or I could just say who ever put your name down and then I pick the name out of a hat. Example of a rule would be lets say it is Mother's Day just cause I am a mom I use that as an example because I have done it before. I make a rule that you have to post a nice thing about your mother for Mother's Day to be included in the "karma." So it is pretty much the luck of the draw. It can be called other things also. On 2A forum it is called a PIFF. Pay it foward or something like that.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

dragonmom wrote:
SNIP I don't believe he is talking about religion. If I am correct he is talking about a giveaway. Something laying around he will give away for free. You say I would like to be included in the Karma and then your name is drawn out of a hat and you get the karma. So it is like saying Karma chooses you.

Well, given the connotation of "pollyanna" around here, I guess we'd have to call it something else.

AbNo

imported post

"Karma" in this instance refers to a user-rating system, in which people that read another user's threads and posts can give positive or negative points to a person's reputation.

A brief web search found this....

Karma is a built-in function within the Wilders Security Forums that allows a person to award and be awarded points for good forum postings.

The karma points (or cookies as some people call them) are listed on the left side of every member post, under their Member ID, Title and Stars. The format looks like this: Karma: ### Any member can receive karma at any point while they are a member here once they've made their first post.

However, to grant karma to others, you must have a Posts: count of at least 50 in these forums. Once you have made those 50 posts, you will see a new button in the same section of each members posts

zoom6zoom

imported post

I don't believe he is talking about religion.

No, that would be dogma. Dogmas often chase karmas.

Karmas can be for no reason at all, or to celebrate something. For example, I recently did a karma on the S&W forum to celebrate my 1,000th post. I gave away a selection of premium cigars. I also recently won a karma from another member, who sent me a nice old S&W dealer's counter mat.

VCDL President

Centurion
imported post

AbNo wrote:
"Karma" in this instance refers to a user-rating system, in which people that read another user's threads and posts can give positive or negative points to a person's reputation.

A brief web search found this....

Karma is a built-in function within the Wilders Security Forums that allows a person to award and be awarded points for good forum postings.

The karma points (or cookies as some people call them) are listed on the left side of every member post, under their Member ID, Title and Stars. The format looks like this: Karma: ### Any member can receive karma at any point while they are a member here once they've made their first post.

However, to grant karma to others, you must have a Posts: count of at least 50 in these forums. Once you have made those 50 posts, you will see a new button in the same section of each members posts
The old packing.org web site had that kind of rating system. Some loved it, some hated it.

AbNo

imported post

Well, I for one would like it. There's a couple of guys that are allowed to run rampant around here, and I'd like to see the ability to ignore people below a certain karma/rating.

Hell, I'd like the ability to ignore certain people, so their threads never show. :D