• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Karmas are they forbiddon on OCDO

mobeewan

imported post

AbNo wrote:
Well, I for one would like it. There's a couple of guys that are allowed to run rampant around here, and I'd like to see the ability to ignore people below a certain karma/rating.

Hell, I'd like the ability to ignore certain people, so their threads never show. :D
It would like to be able to give 2 certain people negative points

AbNo

imported post

mobeewan wrote:
AbNo wrote:
Well, I for one would like it. There's a couple of guys that are allowed to run rampant around here, and I'd like to see the ability to ignore people below a certain karma/rating.

Hell, I'd like the ability to ignore certain people, so their threads never show. :D
It would like to be able to give 2 certain people negative points
:(

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

John told me back when the forum was small that we wouldn't have those "karma" user rating systems on OCDO. Even if they start out good with the best of intentions, they're too easily misused. I've been on other forums that had them and removed the system due to misuse.

G

Gentleman Ranker

imported post

Fascinating replies, to be sure, but I believe the OP was asking about the practice of giving things away ("paying forward", like) as done on some gun sites. IMHO that would be the only sensible meaning of "doing a karma".

zoom6zoom got it.

Up to the mod(s) of course, but I can't imagine they'd be forbidden. I have doubts as to how well they'd work around here, though. Maybe just try one and see what happens.

Just MHO of course.

regards,

GR

dragonmom

imported post

Gentleman Ranker wrote:
Fascinating replies, to be sure, but I believe the OP was asking about the practice of giving things away ("paying forward", like) as done on some gun sites. IMHO that would be the only sensible meaning of "doing a karma".

zoom6zoom got it.

Up to the mod(s) of course, but I can't imagine they'd be forbidden. I have doubts as to how well they'd work around here, though. Maybe just try one and see what happens.

Just MHO of course.

regards,

GR
That is what I said also. I explained the whole thing out.

ChinChin

imported post

AbNo wrote:
"Karma" in this instance refers to a user-rating system, in which people that read another user's threads and posts can give positive or negative points to a person's reputation.

A brief web search found this....

NO!

It was the death of Packing.org. i would be strongly opposed if this is what "Karma" is.

G

Gentleman Ranker

imported post

dragonmom (24 October 2008 Friday 07:59) points out:

That is what I said also. I explained the whole thing out.
So you did, and well, too. My apologies ma'am; I'm not always at my best first thing in the morning.

I've actually done karma before over at SigForum, but that's a different crowd than here. SigForum actually has a "Karmanator" application that will pick a winner for you from a thread title. I tried it on this thread at OCDO, but it didn't work.

If anyone wants or needs to know more, the link in my post was to a thread on SigForum where someone asks "What's a 'karma'?" in the context being discussed. But dragonmom did explain it well.

regards,

GR

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I've offered some things here on OCDO free to members that could use them. There's no specific area to do that, just post it in the General Discussion area!

No need to ask, just do it!:celebrate

Whatcha got?