Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coach guns

Regular Member frommycolddeadhands's Avatar

Post imported post

Hey all,

Well, with Christmas right around the corner, and the fact that me and the lovely wife are moving into a new house, I'm seriously considering getting a nice double barrel 20 ga coach gun to help protect the castle. Does anyone have one? What do you like/dislike. Is there any real advantage to the smaller barrel vs a regular shotgun. And, as much as I hate to admit it, the only shotgun I've ever fired is a 12 ga, (my first hunting gun) which left a big bruise on my arm after .... well about two boxes of shells that me and my cousin got a little overzealous with. So if anyone can clue me in to how much recoil a 20 ga has I'd appriciate that too.

Stay safe.
    God is the one driving this stagecoach, I'm just riding shotgun.

Post imported post

If you're 12 or older, and your wife will hold you up, a 20 ga, shouldn't be a problem, for self defense I'd go with 00 or 000 buck, that'll be a formidable force inside any dwelling. and Yer honey will be able to manage it well with a little practice..

Post imported post

I misunderstood the title of the thread. I thought, "Coach gun?? Dammit, if Coach is making guns now I'm going to have to pay their inflated prices to get one for my very soon to be wife to put in her Coach purse, next to her Coach wallet and Coach make up bag and Coach key chain."

I have a full choke double barrel 12 ga with wooden stock and metal butt plate that wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea to shoot. I have shot 12 and 20 ga coach guns (buddy of mine has 'em). The 20 ga is pretty darn easy to handle, even if shooting from the hip. The shorter barrels, like with any other shorter shotgun, is just easier to maneuver through a home unless you live in Donald's Trumps old place. Downside is the wider shot pattern, but with 00 buck and heavier in typical home defense distances shouldn't be a problem.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

Post imported post

Next on my list is one of the Stoeger Nickle Coach 12 ga. mmmm... happy days..

One barrell at a time though.. hehe J

Post imported post

"Wider shot pattern" my aunt Fanny's ....

At 30 feet (probably the longest diagonal in your house) the shot has barely begun to open up - even with cylinder choke (AKA no restriction). Go to the range and pattern your guns to see, if you don't believe it.

Coach guns are good for HD. They are manuverable, the shorter barrel length reduces (somewhat) the risk of a grab, and the limitation to two rounds keeps you mindful that you need to think instead of blasting wildly. And best of all, IMHO, it eliminates the thought of the "click-clack" sound of a pump-action being able to scare off an intruder.

I have not seen any "testing" of 20-guage rounds ala Box of Truth regarding over-penetration of walls, as has been done for the .410. The "puny" .410 loaded with 3" 00 buck has more than enough energy to take down a BG without ripping through walls like a 12-guage round might. A .410 slug, at 1/4 ounce, is good enough to take whitetail out to 75 yards, so ought to do for BGs at home distances.

Just remember, at HD distances you need to aim - you are not going to get enough shot spread to be worth discussing. (Unless you are using something like a blunderbuss.:shock

stay safe.

skidmark
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

There are house-scatterguns, they're just not legal to be caught with one.

Decide, better to have one and risk being tried by twelve men good and true or carried by six perhaps paid mourners.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't see these being any more of an advantage than my Remington Express 870 Security. It also has a folding stock making it easier to hide.

The fact of needing to reload to me is a downfall. I am pretty good at aiming, but what if there are two or three of them?

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

My 'house gun' is a fully legal EBR 870. If it doesn't hold enough ammo to get to the SA1911 then that's OK, I did the best I could. An advantage of being an 'old' guy.

Post imported post

Does anyone make a riot choke anymore? I haven't looked lately.It has a spread of about 8 feet at a distance of 25 feet , almost all sideways.
    The thing about common sense is....it ain't too common.
    Will Rogers

Post imported post

skidmark wrote:
    "Wider shot pattern" my aunt Fanny's ....

At 30 feet (probably the longest diagonal in your house) the shot has barely begun to open up - even with cylinder choke (AKA no restriction). Go to the range and pattern your guns to see, if you don't believe it.
    Which is why I said at typical home defense distances shouldn't be a problem.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

Post imported post

A real coach gun delivers the fastest 2 rounds of 20 gauge possible...reloading is a B though!
    Bitka Sve Rešava!
    B-2-10 SFG(A)/ A-2-11 SFG(A) 1977-1994

Post imported post

Lots of people like 20 ga because they are big enough for a human target with less recoil than a 12ga. Personally, I think that break action shotguns are only for subjects of an authoritarian government. As a real US citizen, I would prefer a a Saiga semi auto or a rem 870 or mossberg 500 pump.

Post imported post

thorvaldr wrote:
    Lots of people like 20 ga because they are big enough for a human target with less recoil than a 12ga. Personally, I think that break action shotguns are only for subjects of an authoritarian government. As a real US citizen, I would prefer a a Saiga semi auto or a rem 870 or mossberg 500 pump.
    Break actions are a fail proof design that functions flawlessly and is very simple for any member of the family to learn to manipulate and maneuver. This design has been around for a long time and will most likely remain that way,

Look at what almost all Muzzleloading rifle manufacturers are doing with Break actions, these have become some very formidable rifles.

Post imported post

A 20-ga piece is going to be noticeably less punishing on your shoulder. IIRC, a short-barreled cylinder-bore shotgun firing shot shells should give about a 1-foot pattern at about 10 yards. Choked guns with longer barrels will give tighter patterns. This difference in spread is negligible in the averaged sized home, given a self-defense situation.

-ljp

Post imported post

Carnivore wrote:
    thorvaldr wrote:
    Break actions are a fail proof design that functions flawlessly and is very simple for any member of the family to learn to manipulate and maneuver. This design has been around for a long time and will most likely remain that way,

Look at what almost all Muzzleloading rifle manufacturers are doing with Break actions, these have become some very formidable rifles.
    I didn't say they weren't useful. Break action shotguns are typically the last gun to be allowed when an authoritarian government takes away all the other guns. So to me, they symbolize oppression and I refuse to own one. I will never own a revolver either. I will live free or die and I will do it with a semi auto in my hand.

Post imported post

I still think that break-action guns have a place in the modern world. They're relatively inexpensive and they're good for instructing youth on basic technique. Single-shot guns are also good for learning the "one-shot" hunting ethic, and I like to use them for rabbit hunting since you don't generally get a second shot at something that runs that fast anyway. Also, considering the price of ammunition these days, it slows your rate of fire enough to make range trips more affordable. I still use my "hillbilly gun"New England Pardner 12-ga regularly.

-ljp

Post imported post

I have a 12 guage 20"3 inch chamberedCoach Gun. The hammers can be cocked and the thumb safety engaged.

She's a kicker....but in a stressful situation, you'll neither hear the gun go off nor feel the kick. $189 NEW OTD for me. Chinese, and I did have to tweak the fit for tightness. No problem at all.

Post imported post

The only Breakaction I own now is an old H&R Huntsman .58cal. muzzleloader an old slow freight train, but at 50 yds or less ain't anything i care to hunt gonna carry the 460gr. miniball very far.

here's a better pic. after I replaced the broken trigger guard.

Post imported post

Thanks for all the good info and thoughts. I know a double barrel is somewhat of a handicap because of it's limited ammo. It's what my grandpappy used to call a 'throw away gun'. I'm not very concerned about only having two shells, because after that I can drop it and pull out my .38special (6 shot) and when that's spent I've got a brand new .380 semi auto that I just purchased this month with 3 loaded clips handily positioned in the top drawer of my nightstand. If for some nightmarish reason I actually managed to burn through all that without stopping the threat 1.) I'm obviously dealing with some very determined adversaries if they haven't fled the premesis yet 2.) I probably deserve a bullet for all that crappy shooting and 3.) The wife can reload the shotty and the revolver while I milk the clips for all their worth. I can't conceive of a situation where both barrels of a shotgun, six rounds of revolver, and the first few shots of the .380 don't either elliminate a house breaker(s) or convince them to try a less lethal house.

In any case, thanks for all the input again. It's definately going on the Christmas list for this year.:celebrate

Post imported post

thorvaldr wrote:
    To each their own I suppose. I've always loved the simplicity and reliablility of revolvers and in most situations I'd take a lever action rifle or a break shotgun without any hesitation. I've had my .38 revolver for a couple of years now, and put a few hundred rounds downrange with it. It's only failed to fire twice in four years, (due to dud ammo, not because of the firearm) and when it does I just pull the trigger again and it goes bang.

I'm more comforatable with a revolver or a break action because that's what I'm used to using. Heck, I'd even be comforatable with a single action revolver in most cases/places. I just bought my first semi-auto pistol, and I'm still getting used to having to flip a safety switch off, and I'm still a bit uncomforatable walking around with one round in the pipe (I always leave the chamber under the hammer empty when carrying my wheelgun) So I guess it's a learning experience. I always look to reliability and shootability in a gun before I even begin considering ammo capacity or start evaluating stopping power. To me it doesn't make sense carrying around a .50 caliber cannon if it misfires half the time and I can't hit the broad side of the barn with it, no matter how much 'oomph' it packs or how many bricks it can spray out in any given second. Politics don't really compel me to buy any particular sort of gun. I just go with what I'm comforatable with.

Again, that's just me.

Post imported post

This little sweetie will make the bad guy reconsider.

Post imported post

My bro-in-law has an old Rossi double 12g stage gun. Will clear a hallway in a hurry but kicks like a mule as no recoil pad.

Post imported post

TheMrMitch wrote:
    This little sweetie will make the bad guy reconsider.

That's a thing of beauty. I love the hammers on the back. Did you buy that yourself or was it handed down?

Post imported post

ColdHands....I bought it new about two years ago. Chinese make and I had to tighten her a bit. $189 OTD and they go for about $229 +or-at present.

Those are working hammers (they hit the firing pins)and it also had a thumb safety on top. Chambered for 3" mags.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast