• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cal Knife Laws

stevenh512

imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote:
(Luckily I was a collector of blades long before I was a collector of firarms, so my options here vary from 0.5" to 42" blades.)
42" blades? Wow, I'd be hesitant to even call that a knife (although I understand that by law it's classified as a knife), sounds more like a sword. I actually have a "medieval style" one-handed sword that isn't quite that long.. lol

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

stevenh512 wrote:
CA_Libertarian wrote:
(Luckily I was a collector of blades long before I was a collector of firarms, so my options here vary from 0.5" to 42" blades.)
42" blades? Wow, I'd be hesitant to even call that a knife (although I understand that by law it's classified as a knife), sounds more like a sword. I actually have a "medieval style" one-handed sword that isn't quite that long.. lol
I don't call them knives either, but since there is no statute against katanas or 'bastard swords' it would fall into province of a 'dirk or dagger.' As long as it's not concealed, it's legal (except for those pesky local laws).

Robin47

imported post

HI All back to the fun !:lol:

Yeah a "Dirk and Dagger" has a blade thats sharp on both sides.

A Katana sword is sharp on one side of the blade.

Anyway there was an article I read about Australia when the gun bans came there and many were opencarrying swords, then they also banded them to. WOW ! :what:

Makes one wonder "whats Next"? I wonder if people will wakeup when it comes to baseball bats ! and kitchen knifes !

I think in this next year we might find out ! :(

Interesting that I remember when in the 1950's when they tried to ban Bows & Arrows in this country, however there was a "Back-lash" and all went out and bought them, and Archery became a big thing in the late 1950's and many shooting ranges opened up all over the country. I still got my first Bow a recurve, and it workes fine even today !:celebrate SO Yeah to usactivists& the merry group ! Robin47

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Robin47 wrote:
Yeah a "Dirk and Dagger" has a blade thats sharp on both sides.

A Katana sword is sharp on one side of the blade.
While us sane people only refer to double-edged blades as dirks and daggars, we are talking about our legislators' definition (from PC 12020):

Code:
[quote](24) As used in this section, a "dirk" or "dagger" means a knife  or other instrument with or without a handguard that is capable of  ready use as a stabbing weapon that may inflict great bodily injury  or death. A nonlocking folding knife, a folding knife that is not  prohibited by Section 653k, or a pocketknife is capable of ready use  as a stabbing weapon that may inflict great bodily injury or death  only if the blade of the knife is exposed and locked into position.[/quote]

stevenh512

imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote:

Code:
[quote]A nonlocking folding knife, a folding knife that is not  prohibited by Section 653k, or a pocketknife is capable of ready use  as a stabbing weapon that may inflict great bodily injury or death  only if the blade of the knife is exposed and locked into position.[/quote]
In rereading this definition, I notice something VERY interesting. Notice that a fixed blade is only considered a 'dirk' or 'dagger' IF "the blade of the knife is exposed."
Might want to reread that again.. to me it looks like the "if the blade of the knife is exposed" part is referring to a folding knife or pocketknife, not a fixed blade.

Robin47

imported post

Long knife, sheath knifes, PC12020 24,d.

Can't conceal a fixed knife, also can't carry on a college campus either. PC626.10b.

Swithblade knife meaning is in PC 653k "Released Automatically" or "Any other similar type knife", "Flip of the wrist or OTHER MECHANICAL DEVICE,or is Releasted by the weight of the blade or by any type of MECHANISM whatsoever.

A "Gravity knife" can be flicked open by the average person by flicking of the wrist. Now I think I figured a way to open a knife with the flick of the wrist, as CA_libertarian has done BUT I won't tell how its done ! It ain't necessary ! However not every one will want to do this on the average .

So yes being said all knifes COULD be concidered Illegal, but then whats a TOOL if one can't USE IT ! :?

Just like the mental thinking that guns kill people, HOWEVER they (Guns) can also save a life or lives.

We could start a "Cars are weapons movement" and cause a lot of grief, however not all would agree ! :banghead:

This is why we OC to educate people and to USE our rights as law abiding citizens and for ours and others safety. Wrong thinking people will always be here and are called criminals which willalways be here to.

We can thank Senator Betty Kamette who wrote the bill SB 274, making "Spring Assist Knifes " Legal Also in 1996, AB 3314 (CH 1054) An exemption was created for one-handed folding knifes, and are designed to fall under the language of the exemption to 653k. :cool:

Anyway thats it for today ! have a good one ! LOL ! Robin47

stevenh512

imported post

It happens. With the way California laws are written, I could have just as easily misread that same section.. especially since I keep such odd hours and a lot of my reading happens late at night/early in the morning when I should be sleeping.. lol