Thread: Anyone have some US made AK 47 parts?

State Researcher

Post imported post

I'm building an AK from a kit and while assembling US compliant parts decided to go with a US made gas piston. Well the gas piston is a PITA to remove, so rather than change out a perfectly made (and brand new looking part) I've decided to replace the pistol grip instead (mine is chipped bakelite anyhow)

So if anyone has a US made AK pistol grip I'd be interested before I go ordering one somewhere with insane shipping costs.

OR

US made stock furniture, preferably folding buttstock.

Post imported post

The gas piston, like some mosin nagant rear sight bases, is sometimes silver-soldered in place and can require heat to melt the solder and allow it to un-thread. Also, there should be a pin in the top right (as looking from breech to muzzle with it upright) that prevents the gas piston from spinning out.

Outside that, there's lots of US-made parts for-the-cheap online.
    B.S. Chemistry UofWA '09
    KF7GEA

State Researcher

Post imported post

just_a_car wrote:
    The gas piston, like some mosin nagant rear sight bases, is sometimes silver-soldered in place and can require heat to melt the solder and allow it to un-thread. Also, there should be a pin in the top right (as looking from breech to muzzle with it upright) that prevents the gas piston from spinning out.

Was hoping to find parts locally before I ordered more parts. Oh well...

Post imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
    just_a_car wrote:

Was hoping to find parts locally before I ordered more parts. Oh well...
    You'll still get 'em cheaper if you include shipping from online. Locally, you have to include tax. You could always just pick up a Tapco folder to get it legal and then change to something you like better (unless you like the folder) later on.
    B.S. Chemistry UofWA '09
    KF7GEA

State Researcher

Post imported post

What I want to do is get this thing put together. I didn't realize what a PITA removing the gas piston would be, otherwise I would have ordered the pistol grip. Can't find a stupid pistol grip for cheaper than nearly $20 or more shipped. Stupid places want $8 or more to ship the dang things.

Damn you Congress for 922(r)!

I'm probably gonna put a folding buttstock on there, but don't want to spend the money. By the time I'm done I might as well have bought a ready built AK. Oh well, will be fun, and I have the sneaking suspicion I should "do it while I can":X

Post imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
    Damn you Congress for 922(r)!
    Blame the ATF for recommending to Congress these idiotic and stupid rules.

Post imported post

Did you check gunbroker?

State Researcher

Post imported post

Yes I checked gunbroker. The parts are out there but with more shipping than I care to pay. That's why I was hoping someone locally had a pistol grip or buttstock they cared to sell, as it will be a couple more weeks before I'm ready to order enough stuff to make shipping worthwhile.

Post imported post

Don't give up on the piston replacement.The stock grips look so much better than the US made ones. I've done four of them and its really not that hard. Toughest part believe it or not, is locating the original cross pin. Do this by polishing the suspected location, it will then show. Drill one side and punch it out. Screw in new piston (not tight, it MUST wiggle) drill it and fabricate a new "rivet" from a nail.

State Researcher

Post imported post

I've already found the rivet. I've got a beater stock set anyway, so I don't care about the grip so much. I may change the piston later but don't feel like it right now...