• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Another Pizza Delivery Self Defense Story

PointofView

imported post

MetalChris wrote:
nakedshoplifter wrote:
I swear, if PJ's fires this worker, I will never eat their pizza agin. They are the only place I order from so I hope they do the right thing.
I doubt the dude will get fired. It's Texas! :)
The can't open carry state that has many sanctuary cities! Wow they have it together there! I have lived there for about 3 years and they are not all there.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Evil Ernie wrote:
The shooting was Tuesday night, after the delivery man walked up to a house and rang a doorbell, Lufkin police said. It turned out the house was vacant and two armed men approached him from the side of the house, The Lufkin Daily News reported Thursday. The delivery man drew a .22 caliber Derringer and fired two shots, and the assailants ran away, police said.

It appears unlikely the delivery man will face any charges since he "was defending himself at the time of the shooting," Lufkin Police Lt. David Young said.

Pizza delivery into the hood is a dangerous gig.

Good for the delivery man on this one.
41.gif

Let's hope the guy can get an upgrade in his carry weapon.

nofoa

imported post

I have worked pizza delivery before and i really enjoyed the experience i got from it. I only had one wierd call in the 1 1/2 i worked there. Someone asked us to deliver the pizza to the crossroads of this residential area. So i meet him at the intersection and we trade paper for dough and tomatoe paste.

I never got hastled, but i got invited to alot of parties. Also delivering to a house where a really nice looking lady answers the door in her underwear can make for a good day. ;)

drjoker

imported post

I am calling Papa Johns Thurs or Fri to see if this guy was fired. If he was, then I suggest that we do a Papa Johns letter writing campaign. If any of y'all are in Texas and want to do a protest in front of this Papa John's, let me know (either post or PM) and I'll arrange a date. I'll let y'all know what Papa John's response by posting here after I call them. I'll let you know, so stay tuned.

I'm already boycotting Domino's and Pizza Hut for firing pizza delivery drivers who've saved their own lives by using legal firearm self-defense. I sure hope that Papa John's doesn't fire this kid or I'll have to start learning how to make my own pizza!

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

HankT wrote:
Evil Ernie wrote:
The shooting was Tuesday night, after the delivery man walked up to a house and rang a doorbell, Lufkin police said. It turned out the house was vacant and two armed men approached him from the side of the house, The Lufkin Daily News reported Thursday. The delivery man drew a .22 caliber Derringer and fired two shots, and the assailants ran away, police said.

It appears unlikely the delivery man will face any charges since he "was defending himself at the time of the shooting," Lufkin Police Lt. David Young said.

Pizza delivery into the hood is a dangerous gig.

Good for the delivery man on this one.
41.gif

Let's hope the guy can get an upgrade in his carry weapon.
+1

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

protector84 wrote:
Your life is more important than unconstitutional laws and feel-good policies. It has gotten to the point where if a place has a posted no-weapons sign but no guard with a wand or metal detector, that pretty much means conceal your gun well and keep your mouth shut. In bars and government buildings they might have storage lockers or let you check them in but I really don't trust that either. The one time you desparately need your gun will be the time when it is locked up in the storage locker where you can't get to it and the rent-a-cop will be long gone.
:exclaim:

Amen to everything you just wrote!

Harper1227

imported post

nakedshoplifter wrote:
I swear, if PJ's fires this worker, I will never eat their pizza agin. They are the only place I order from so I hope they do the right thing.
just thinkin the same thing.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

protector84 wrote:
In bars and government buildings they might have storage lockers or let you check them in but I really don't trust that either. The one time you desparately need your gun will be the time when it is locked up in the storage locker where you can't get to it and the rent-a-cop will be long gone.

The question is: If there is a gun check-in arrangement at a building for security--will you be able to get your gun on demand--instantly if an emergency situation should arise?

If the answer is not "yes," the system is fatally flawed.

:(

M

McX

imported post

We see it every now and again in the paper around here. Criminals preying on the pizza delivery guys. A solid case for OC if I ever saw, or heard one.

Jenn

imported post

More than likely that driver was fired immediately! I worked for Papa John's for many years. No weapons on you or in your car is their corporate policy. They will even fire you if you have more than $20 on you when you are robbed. I was always pro gun but would not let my husband own a gun because we have young kids and I was paranoid they would get ahold of it. That changed when I was looking down the barrel of two thugs gun. Same scenario as that driver, vacant house thugs hiding around the side. I had a gun to my head for $13 and my cell phone! I figured why am I unarmed and they are. I had a full minute to react, once I got to the door I knew what was up. I was too far from my car to make it back and being unarmed all I could do was stand there and wait for the ambush. If I had been armed it would have been a different story. They also robbed a store and two other delivery drivers that night and were looking at over 100 years behind bars (one of the detectives told me). They were never caughtand that was my last delivery. I did not get fired, that job just was not worth it. Now me and my husband both OC.

protector84

imported post

I say carry anyway in violation of company policy and then when you have to use the gun to save your life and they fire you, you file a lawsuit for hundreds of thousands if not millions of dollars claiming "gross negligence" on the part of the company. People have to work to put food on the table and keep roofs over their heads and companies should not be allowed to interfere with Americans' constitutional rights while being honest hardworking American citizens.

AbNo

imported post

Jenn wrote:
More than likely that driver was fired immediately! I worked for Papa John's for many years. No weapons on you or in your car is their corporate policy. They will even fire you if you have more than $20 on you when you are robbed.
Like that ever stopped me when I worked at the PJ in Bridgewater. :lol:

eddyys

imported post

"Gruu's Postulate For How Not To Get Shot - It is always bad strategy to steal people's sh**. Especially in Texas. "

I think this would apply here.

Streetbikerr6

imported post

Statesman wrote:
Was it determined if this deliveryman was fired for defending himself? I need to know so I can decide if I want to buy pizza elsewhere.

Same here. I buy 3pizzas for every UFC fight usually from papa johns. Knowing this outcome will determine if my business goes elsewhere. Anybody?

Edit: Ok just spoof-called my phone number as a texas number and calledthat Lufkin Papa Johns. Apparently the driver quit, he was not fired. The woman on the line said they only fire drivers that are robbed if they were carrying more than 20$ at the time of the robbery. They are supposed to put their cash in a drop box before they make their delivery. As for Papa Johns corporate policy on carrying firearms, I still don't know. Though she assured me they did not fire him.

Btw- Omgher accent was the biggest turn on I've ever heard haha. Just one more reason to move to Texas.

drjoker

imported post

A lot of companies will try to avoid controversy by NOT "firing" their employees. Instead, they'll ask them to "resign" in exchange for a favorable letter of recommendation to the next employer. If the pizza guy was forced to "resign", then he probably got a job at another pizzeria. I've been calling various low-paying teenage jobs in Lufkin trying to track this guy down at his next place of employment to determine if this guy was forced to resign (fired) or if he really quit. If he was forced to resign, then I will arrange a pizza party at the Papa John's. I will buy everyone non-Papa John pizza just for showing up wearing red-white-and-blue clothes with an empty holster in protest. No, you will not get in trouble for "picketing without a permit" because you will NOT be holding a picket sign. However, last time I checked, it IS a free country and you could wear patriotic clothes and carry an empty holster. You also have the right to free speech and you could vocally express your dissatisfaction with Papa John's by chanting a catchy slogan such as "Pappa John delivers death to teenage drivers! Don't buy their pizza!" As long as you are not yelling it over 85 decibels, they cannot arrest you for "disturbing the peace." Or we can wear T-shirts where we've marked this slogan on the T-shirt with a big black marker. I'll let you guys know as soon as I track the pizza kid down. I am not a private investigator so it is taking me awhile to track the pizza kid down....

P.S. even if you were to carry a picket sign, it will be ok as long as it is not over a certain number of people. For example, in Collin County, this number is 16 (correct me if I'm wrong as I am not sure). This number may be different in Lufkin, TX.

BTW, this is how companies avoid getting sued, too. You have to sign a legal waiver in order to get this letter of recommendation. This waiver says that you've given up your right to sue Papa John's.

drjoker

imported post

UPDATE:

I called Papa John's again today. The guy on duty today did not give me the runaround. He answered my question. He said that the poor kid was fired for violating their weapons policy.

Let's go to Papa John's and protest! PM me if you're interested. I will buy the pizza.

Also, I invite you to write a letter to the Papa John:

John Schnatter
2002 Papa Johns Boulevard
Louisville, KY 40299

This is what my letter will say:

Dear Mr. Schnatter,

The Papa John's in Lufkin Texas had fired an employee for defending his life from murderous robbers. Instead of commending him, Papa John's has fired him for violating the corporate weapons policy. You might be surprised to find that the right to self-defense is a basic human right. This employee had a legal gun permit that required an extensive police background check in order to attain. Statisically, it is probably more likely for you to win the lottery than for you to be attacked by people who have passed this extensive background check at the age of 21 (the legal age to get a gun license in Texas). Per 2006 statistics from the Dept of Public Safety (police) in Texas, the general population over age 21 is 8 times more likely to commit assault than a concealed handgun licensee. The general population over age 21 is 63 times more likely to commit robbery than a licensee. 2 percent of Texans are licensees. We have friends and family. Therefore, if we were to boycott Papa John's, then you should be prepared to lose about 8 to 10 percent of your business in Texas. Various internet forums serve as a free and easy method to organize such boycotts. I invite you to hire back the poor pizza delivery driver back and pay him any applicable lost wages. Failure to do so by Dec 11 will result in a boycott. I genuinely love eating Papa John's pizza and I want to continue ordering your pizza. That's why I am doing this. I invite you to do the right thing. If you are concerned about your insurance premiums, then just show them the Dept of Pub Safety statistics and change the language to ban only UNLICENSED weapons. If your insurance carrier will not go for it, then contact the NRA's insurance. I'm sure they will be more than happy to replace your current insurer. All of this legal stuff takes time, but rehiring that delivery driver will only take a 1 minute phone call to Lufkin, Texas.

Thank you for doing the right thing,
XXX XXX

An avalanche of letters to corporate cannot be ignored. I invite you to do so now! PM me a copy of your letter and I will mail you a coupon for pizza after Papa Johns rehires this kid. Hurry, I have a limited number of pizza coupons, so hurry up and write your letters and PM me!

Again, PM if you want to eat free pizza for just wearing red white and blue clothes and an empty open carrry holster in front of the Pappa John's in Lufkin, Texas.

Thanks.

P.S. I invite you to email, text and call all your friends about this. We need to get the word out. Thanks!