12040. (a) A person commits criminal possession of a firearm when
he or she carries a firearm in a public place or on any public street
while masked so as to hide his or her identity.
(b) Criminal possession of a firearm is punishable by imprisonment
in the state prison or by imprisonment in a county jail not to
exceed one year.
(c) Subdivision (a) shall not apply to the following:
(1) A peace officer who is in the performance of his or her
(2) Full-time paid peace officers of other states and the federal
government who are carrying out official duties while in this state.
(3) Any person summoned by any of the officers enumerated in
paragraph (1) or (2) to assist in making arrests or preserving the
peace while he or she is actually engaged in assisting that officer.
(4) The possession of an unloaded firearm or a firearm loaded with
blank ammunition by an authorized participant in, or while
rehearsing for, a motion picture, television, video production,
entertainment event, entertainment activity, or lawfully organized
and conducted activity when the participant lawfully uses the firearm
as part of that production, event, or activity.
(5) The possession of a firearm by a licensed hunter while
actually engaged in lawful hunting, or while going directly to or
returning directly from the hunting expedition.