• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

VOTE 2008

Dave Workman

imported post

TIME TO PUT YOUR WORDS TO ACTION.

Get out there and vote.

I'm endorsing:

Dino Rossi (re-elect the right man!)

Dave Reichert for Congress, 8th District (This guy needs our help bad, Burner has crawled into the lead and Reichert needs television money and more importantly he needs your vote if you live in the 8th District.)

Doc Hastings for Congress, 4th District

Cathy McMorris Rodgers for Congress, 5th District

In the 5th Legislative District (MY District):

Cheryl Pflug
Glenn Anderson
Jay Rodne

WRITE IN: For Pierce County Sheriff: Bill Burris

And of course: NObama...

Pull the lever for McCain (hold your nose) and ESPECIALLY Palin

The strategy here is to keep an Obama White House from putting more anti-gun liberals on the Supreme Court and federal courts. The only way to guarantee that is to make sure there is no Obama White House in 2009.

A vote for NObama..

OR A VOTE FOR SOME 3RD PARTY CANDIDATE :banghead:

means a vote to overturn the Supreme Court's Heller ruling. It could not be plainer than that.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

kparker

imported post

Well then, for Congress 6th District: Doug Cloud. (I usually vote against Norm Dicks anyway, the only recent exception being when the R. candidate appeared to be almost a 9/11 truther-type, but good grief--did you realize Dicks has an F rating from the NRA?)

State 28th District:

Re-elect Mike Carrell to the Senate, he's completely pro-gun-rights.
House (1): Dave Dooley
House (2): Denise McCluskey (a personal acquaintance of mine
and very much a good gal!)

Dave Workman

imported post

kparker wrote:
Well then, for Congress 6th District: Doug Cloud. (I usually vote against Norm Dicks anyway, the only recent exception being when the R. candidate appeared to be almost a 9/11 truther-type, but good grief--did you realize Dicks has an F rating from the NRA?)

State 28th District:

Re-elect Mike Carrell to the Senate, he's completely pro-gun-rights.
House (1): Dave Dooley
House (2): Denise McCluskey (a personal acquaintance of mine
and very much a good gal!)

Well, regarding Normie... that is one explanation why he doesn't appear on MY list!

;)

bluer1

imported post

Snohomish co.
Prez. - Bob Barr
Gov. - Dino Rossi
Something else - Rob McKenna
Congress - Whoever was running against Larsen (Can't remember)
Jud. - Had no choice
Other stuff, Can't remember

thewise1

imported post

bluer1 wrote:
Snohomish co.
Prez. - Bob Barr
Gov. - Dino Rossi
Something else - Rob McKenna
Congress - Whoever was running against Larsen (Can't remember)
Jud. - Had no choice
Other stuff, Can't remember
This is basically me except I'm writing in Ron Paul since I donated the max and I'm still bitter that my retarded party didn't nominate the one guy that could have spoken to the current economic crisis.

Rossi
Hope
McKenna
etc

thewise1

imported post

btw whoever says to vote for mccain to keep obama out of the white house... I understand where you're coming from, but obama is polling 15% ahead of mccain in this state, and is in no danger here.

You might as well vote your principles at this point, at least you'll be a loser that actually voted for what you believe in instead of a loser that didn't even do that much.

Dave Workman

imported post

thewise1 wrote:
btw whoever says to vote for mccain to keep obama out of the white house... I understand where you're coming from, but obama is polling 15% ahead of mccain in this state, and is in no danger here.

You might as well vote your principles at this point, at least you'll be a loser that actually voted for what you believe in instead of a loser that didn't even do that much.

Wrong.

Who the hell said Obama has this state locked up? The guy who figures that people like you will "vote their principle" instead of voting for their liberty.

No insult meant, but this sort of logic is predictable, especially to the other side. They count on folks like us to "vote our principle" and thus essentially give them one more vote.

This year, this time, vote freedom.

Unless you want to go on thinking like a loser. That's up to you. Nothing is a given. Nothing is "written."

thewise1

imported post

Dave Workman wrote:
Wrong.

Who the hell said Obama has this state locked up? The guy who figures that people like you will "vote their principle" instead of voting for their liberty.

No insult meant, but this sort of logic is predictable, especially to the other side. They count on folks like us to "vote our principle" and thus essentially give them one more vote.

This year, this time, vote freedom.

Unless you want to go on thinking like a loser. That's up to you. Nothing is a given. Nothing is "written."
If you want me to vote freedom, then why are you suggesting I vote McCain?

Guns aren't the only freedom, sir.

kparker

imported post

Dave,

As I said, I almost always vote for Dicks' (sacrificial-lamb) challenger, unless he appears to be an actual nutcase.

I was just surprised by the F rating--I never bothered looking, as I was voting against him anyway, but he has always seemed to me to be a lunch-pail, fairly pro-defense Democrat (look at our district--Ft Lewis, Camp Murray, Madigan, McChord AFB, PSNS, and perhaps Bangor though the latter may be in district 1) rather than Jim McDermitt's soul mate.

kparker

imported post

Thewise1,
If you want me to vote freedom, then why are you suggesting I vote McCain
If I may inject my take in the matter...

"Freedom" isn't an absolute, all-or-nothing proposition. It's a continuum. You can have more freedom, or less (and actually it's not a single continuum, as you note: "guns aren't the only freedom".)

And sure, McCain is fairly dreadful, no question about that. His name is on one of the most unconstitutional pieces of legislation passed in recent history, after all.

But the choice in this election is not between McCain and Nobody, it's between him and Obama. So please explain to me what Obama will do to give you more freedom, in any area, than McCain. Freedom of speech? GMAB, it's the O campain that's been threatening people with that; it's the D's overall that keep talking about reviving the "fairness doctrine", etc.

thewise1

imported post

kparker wrote:
Thewise1,
If you want me to vote freedom, then why are you suggesting I vote McCain
If I may inject my take in the matter...

"Freedom" isn't an absolute, all-or-nothing proposition. It's a continuum. You can have more freedom, or less (and actually it's not a single continuum, as you note: "guns aren't the only freedom".)

And sure, McCain is fairly dreadful, no question about that. His name is on one of the most unconstitutional pieces of legislation passed in recent history, after all.

But the choice in this election is not between McCain and Nobody, it's between him and Obama. So please explain to me what Obama will do to give you more freedom, in any area, than McCain. Freedom of speech? GMAB, it's the O campain that's been threatening people with that; it's the D's overall that keep talking about reviving the "fairness doctrine", etc.
Neither will give me freedom, and both will take it away. Don't get me wrong; I don't support Obama.

Speaking in a pragmatic fashion, Obama will win. I can cite polls, I can cite my gut check, or I can just predict arbitrarily, but whether I like it or not, he's going to win this state, and my vote isn't going to change that.

What I can do, however, by refusing to vote for McCain, and voting my principles instead, is to deny the national Republican party a mandate for their piss poor platform. The harder they lose this election, the more they will need to look at their policies and go from big government, ignoring the constitution, and trying to control people's lives back to a small, constitutional government that isn't out to outlaw everything under the sun, instead choosing to outlaw those things that actually harm the property rights of others.

Since McCain can't win this state at this point, I'll take the booby prize and deny the Republicans their right to brag about their horrible national platform and choice of candidates.

Sorry this went so long. Definitely not trying to troll up the boards with politics. Gun rights are very important to me - don't get me wrong. I wish we could defeat Obama in this state as well, but it's not going to happen.

Bear 45/70

imported post

thewise1 wrote:

You believe the polls put out by the media? Not very wise!

thewise1

imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
thewise1 wrote:

If the result is even within 5% on election day - in Washington state - I will personally buy you a beer and admit I'm wrong.

bluer1

imported post

My take on third party voting is this. I'm very happy for you guys that vote McCain, I think he's OK. But the reason I voted Barr is because he represents how I feel on ALL the issues. I honestly would have voted McCain if he changed just 2 things.

1.) He says he is against Lobbyists and special interest group spending, yet I saw him up there on stage with Obama and Clinton kissing AIPAC's feet as has become the standard to become a candidate. No Go.

2.) Immigration, he along with Obama has sold the american majority out on this issue. Have you noticed that this is a major issue for people yet there was NO mention of it in the debates? ANY candidate that would have put ANY sort of effort into this issue ala Tancredo, would get my vote and would have had a wealth of support from both sides of the public. No Go.

I understand the "Lesser of two evils" voting method, but I can't bring myself to vote for anyone that would not even so much as recognize some of the major problems in this country.

3.) This one is extra credit, voting no on the bailout. Neither did.

Bear 45/70

imported post

thewise1 wrote:
Bear 45/70 wrote:
thewise1 wrote:

If the result is even within 5% on election day - in Washington state - I will personally buy you a beer and admit I'm wrong.
Well, since I quit drink alcohol more than 40 years ago, I'll pass. But it's the third party vote that hurt the Republican canidates most.

Dave Workman

imported post

kparker wrote:
Dave,

As I said, I almost always vote for Dicks' (sacrificial-lamb) challenger, unless he appears to be an actual nutcase.

I was just surprised by the F rating--I never bothered looking, as I was voting against him anyway, but he has always seemed to me to be a lunch-pail, fairly pro-defense Democrat (look at our district--Ft Lewis, Camp Murray, Madigan, McChord AFB, PSNS, and perhaps Bangor though the latter may be in district 1) rather than Jim McDermitt's soul mate.

Dicks has never supported gun rights. He may talk a good fight, but so did Joe Biden the other week when he told some goober down in South Carolina, IIRC, that "nobody would take away his Beretta shotgun."

Sheesh!

I read your other post and you are spot on. We're not talking about McCain's opponent being just some other guy, we're talking about a fellow who represents or has represented everything people on this forum seem to oppose. Gun control, gun registration, handgun bans, AW/EBR bans, take your pick.

Obama, give him credit, is a marvelous and inspirational public speaker. But good diction does not a leader make.

But Obama at the head of a Democrat party that rules Washington DC, with people like Pelosi, Schumer, Clinton, Dodd, and even ailing Ted Kennedy at the helm should be considered a perfect nightmare for people who claim to value their firearm civil rights.

But perhaps you and I are mistaken about people here. Perhaps there is just wind, people who would rather fall on their swords (or at lest claim to) than use those swords decisively, surgically, at the ballot box, in the legislatures and city councils, in the letters to the editor columns, to protect the liberty they have.

Last year, I did a book "America Fights Back: Armed Self-Defense in a Violent Age" that sold pretty well on Amazon and a few other places. It was about the one thing that sets Americans apart from all the other people on the planet: We're fighters. We fight back. And as we prove here all too often, some would rather fight amongst themselves than to unite against a common foe.

Alas, there seem to be far too many who are willing to throw in the towel, declare themselves losers, perhaps just to assure they will have something about which to complain tomorrow as they complain today.

Maybe gun rights activists need to think of themselves as defenders of the Alamo, or Bataan...we're buying time for the rest of the nation to come to its senses. A "holding action" that must be fought, using our wits and uncanny luck, guts and whatever political savvy we have accumulated.

We're in trouble. Some of us recognize it, others don't. If the polls are right, in about 6-8 months, we're ALL going to know just how much trouble we're in.

We have the ability to stop it now, and stop it cold. McCain was not my first choice, not my last choice, even though his record on gun rights isn't all that bad (if you overlook McCain Lieberman). Right now, he's the only serious option we have to keep the Supreme Court and Federal Courts from being seriously altered for our lifetimes.

Bob Barr is a friend of mine but he hasn't got a prayer, and right now, we don't have the luxury of "sending a message" by voting for him. I'd be delighted to elect a Congress of libertarian-minded types, conservative Republicans and pro-gun Democrats. I'd be equally delighted to win the lottery, but that ain't gonna happen, either.

These people think they finally have us. They're probably already planning a victory party for the day they strike down Heller, and pass legislation to "reasonably regulate" our gun rights out of existence.

Well they don't have me, and they don't have you. They won't have us unless we give up and start acting like the fools they think we are.

It's up to you.

Bear 45/70

imported post

bluer1 wrote:
My take on third party voting is this. I'm very happy for you guys that vote McCain, I think he's OK. But the reason I voted Barr is because he represents how I feel on ALL the issues. I honestly would have voted McCain if he changed just 2 things.

1.) He says he is against Lobbyists and special interest group spending, yet I saw him up there on stage with Obama and Clinton kissing AIPAC's feet as has become the standard to become a candidate. No Go.

2.) Immigration, he along with Obama has sold the american majority out on this issue. Have you noticed that this is a major issue for people yet there was NO mention of it in the debates? ANY candidate that would have put ANY sort of effort into this issue ala Tancredo, would get my vote and would have had a wealth of support from both sides of the public. No Go.

I understand the "Lesser of two evils" voting method, but I can't bring myself to vote for anyone that would not even so much as recognize some of the major problems in this country.

3.) This one is extra credit, voting no on the bailout. Neither did.
So your reasoning is since McCain is behind in the polls,you wouldrather than bolster his numbers with your vote, you will vote for Barr, who hasn't any chance at all of winning and by doing so insure obama's election to the Presidency. There by insuring that your gun and Constitutional rights will be hammered in the next 4 years. Wow! FYI and don't really like McCain and would prefer a truly viable candidate, but the people of this country missed their chance of a third party win when the passed on Perot.

thewise1

imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
Well, since I quit drink alcohol more than 40 years ago, I'll pass. But it's the third party vote that hurt the Republican canidates most.
Errm... Sorry man. I had a nagging feeling as I posted that, that I might have said something wrong but couldn't place it. I apologize and hope you know that it was not meant in a bad way.

As for the comment about third party voters... if Republicans would just go back to their small, constitutional government, free market, free enterprise roots, I would be all over it. But even as a Republican precinct committee officer, I have no interest in supporting the current national platform.

Locally I'm pretty gung ho about some of our options, though.

Bear 45/70

imported post

thewise1 wrote:
Bear 45/70 wrote:
Errm... Sorry man. I had a nagging feeling as I posted that, that I might have said something wrong but couldn't place it. I apologize and hope you know that it was not meant in a bad way.

As for the comment about third party voters... if Republicans would just go back to their small, constitutional government, free market, free enterprise roots, I would be all over it. But even as a Republican precinct committee officer, I have no interest in supporting the current national platform.

Locally I'm pretty gung ho about some of our options, though.
Don't worry about the alcohol thing. It isn't a problem. Don't get me wrong, I don't like either major party and think they should be abolished as they represent no one except themselfs to obtain power. For proof of that statement, look at this years candidates.

bluer1

imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
bluer1 wrote: So your reasoning is since McCain is behind in the polls,you wouldrather than bolster his numbers with your vote, you will vote for Barr, who hasn't any chance at all of winning and by doing so insure obama's election to the Presidency. There by insuring that your gun and Constitutional rights will be hammered in the next 4 years. Wow! FYI and don't really like McCain and would prefer a truly viable candidate, but the people of this country missed their chance of a third party win when the passed on Perot.
I already *did* vote for Barr :) My family (dems) said the same thing to me last time, but it was about Kerry's loss. I feel that I should be able to vote for a third party, I DID fight for our country and my rights. Voting from the heart has been completely lost in this country, the two party thing sickens me. If no-one voted anything other than Dem/Rep nothing would ever change. I do respect your opinion though, at least you're voting right?