• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A Question from a Michigan Neighbor

maeqFREEDOMfree

imported post

Hello everyone!
I am a Michigan resident and i was wondering if some of you could help me clear up some rumors i've been hearing about...

I've heard that there is some sort of "loop hole" in ohio pertaining to purchasing handguns from "gun shows". Word is that one can purchase a handgun from a gun show (provided that person can prove they are of age) and no registration is required...

Furthermore i've heard that if I wanted to purchase a gun at an ohio gun show, i wouldn't have to go get a "purchase permit" like we are required to here in michigan... .

is this true?

thanks in advance!

Brian D.

imported post

No, buying a handgun in a state in which you do not reside is not that simple to do--legally, that is. Using the methods you describe, if you were dealing with a Federal Firearms Licensee at the gun show, the handgun would have to be transferred to an FFLer in your state. And it is quite illegal for you to purchase a handgun in that manner from an individual who does not reside in your state.

Please visit the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives website for a fuller explanation.

maeqFREEDOMfree

imported post

Thanks for the insight! So person to person or "private sales" can be done by an ohio resident so long as they are selling to another ohio resident... is that correct?
I wouldn't be able to participate in one of these transactions unless i was a resident of ohio?

Sorry to beat a dead horse, just trying to make sure i understand correctly

thanks again!

Deanimator

imported post

maeqFREEDOMfree wrote:
Thanks for the insight! So person to person or "private sales" can be done by an ohio resident so long as they are selling to another ohio resident... is that correct?
I wouldn't be able to participate in one of these transactions unless i was a resident of ohio?

Sorry to beat a dead horse, just trying to make sure i understand correctly

thanks again!
Private sales between non-prohibited Ohioans are perfectly lawful and there is NO registration of any kind in Ohio, apart from Federal registration of NFA items.

Scooter123

imported post

Just to make sure that your very clear on things, using family or a friend to do a "straw purchase" is a Federal Violation. I have family in Ohio, my boss has family in Ohio with access to LE turn-ins, so a "straw deal" is a tempting thought. There are times when reading the net makes me thinkit would be nice to have a handgun or two unkknown to the local PD. However, my contact with my local PD has always been gun friendly so, in reality, I think the prospect of them trying to sieze any of my guns is extremely low. It's also a Federal Offense that carries some serious consequences so I abide by theregistration laws to the letter, as much as I hate the concept.

Bottomline, you can make a purchase in Ohio and have the gun transferred to an FFL delaer in Michigan. I would suggest that you follow that procedure to the letter. BTW, if your into revolvers, I have heard rumors that southeast Ohio PD's are still turning in some Colt and S&W service issue guns. If true, you might find a good enough bargain to offset the shipping and transfer costs of doing a legal, out of state, purchase.