• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Diane Feinstein Response to National Capitol Security and Safety Act" (H.R. 6842)

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Diane Feinstein Response to National Capitol Security and Safety Act" (H.R. 6842).

Dear Mr. Scott:

I received your letter expressing support for the "National Capitol Security and Safety Act" (H.R. 6842). I want you to know that I appreciate hearing from you on such an important topic. I welcome the opportunity to respond.

Representative Eleanor Holmes Norton (D-DC) introduced H.R. 6842, which would require the District to conform its laws to the Supreme Court's ruling in District of Columbia v. Heller. During consideration of the bill, Representative Travis Childers (D-MS) attached an amendment that would repeal most of the existing District of Columbia gun laws. Among other things, the bill would repeal D.C.'s ban on semi-automatic weapons, including military-style assault weapons and it would repeal the Federal law prohibiting District residents from traveling to other states to buy handguns. It would also prohibit D.C. from enacting common sense gun laws, like requiring safe storage of guns in homes with small children. And it repeals gun registration requirements, making it more difficult for police to trace guns used in crimes. On September 17, 2008, the amended bill passed the House of Representatives by a vote of 266-152.

I believe this legislation is reckless and irresponsible - and will lead to more weapons and violence on the streets of our nation's capital. As a former Mayor of San Francisco, I have seen firsthand what happens when guns fall into the hands of criminals, juveniles, and the mentally ill. I believe that the legislation repealing Federal and District gun laws would place the families of the District of Columbia in great jeopardy.

Currently H.R. 6842 is not expected to be called up for a vote in the Senate. Please know that while this may be an issue on which we disagree, it is helpful to hear the views of Californians. I will keep your thoughts in mind as the gun control debate continues.

Again, thank you for letter. I hope you will keep in touch on matters of importance to you. Best regards.

Sincerely yours,

Dianne Feinstein
United States Senator

cccook

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Theseus wrote:
Diane Feinstein Response to National Capitol Security and Safety Act" (H.R. 6842).
I believe this legislation is reckless and irresponsible - and will lead to more weapons and violence on the streets of our nation's capital. As a former Mayor of San Francisco, I have seen firsthand what happens when guns fall into the hands of criminals, juveniles, and the mentally ill. I believe that the legislation repealing Federal and District gun laws would place the families of the District of Columbia in great jeopardy.

Sincerely yours,

Dianne Feinstein
United States Senator
This woman is reckless and irresponsible. H.R. 6842 has nothing to do with putting guns in the hands of criminals, juveniles, and the mentally ill. These people will acquire guns regardless of any laws to the contrary, if they so desire. H.R. 6842 only allows law abiding citizens access to guns, as it should be. Her response is a red herring.

Huck

imported post

cccook wrote:
Theseus wrote:

Sincerely yours,

Dianne Feinstein
United States Senator
This woman is reckless and irresponsible. H.R. 6842 has nothing to do with putting guns in the hands of criminals, juveniles, and the mentally ill. These people will acquire guns regardless of any laws to the contrary, if they so desire. H.R. 6842 only allows law abiding citizens access to guns, as it should be. Her response is a red herring.

When Feinstien was mayor of San Francisco she pushed through a handgun ban in SF, with exceptions for politicians and the wealthy of course, and the crime rate went up dramaticly. So in a sense she's right about having seen what happens when handguns get into the hands of criminals since, thanks to her, the crims were the majority of the city's residents who had them.

Her statement is just another of the "blood in the streets!" bleating that the libs squeal about all the time but never happens. No surprise there.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

"As former mayor of San Francisco, I have seen firsthand how gun control endangers families of innocent victims and empowers criminality, turning a once-peace-loving city into haven a for murderous gangsters of all varieties."

MetalChris

imported post

Feinstein said:
I will keep your thoughts in mind as the gun control debate continues.

I call bullcrap! She only cares about the mindless sh33ple that vote her in term after term! /stating obvious

Decoligny

imported post

Theseus wrote:
I believe this legislation is reckless and irresponsible - and will lead to more weapons and violence on the streets of our nation's capital. As a former Mayor of San Francisco, I have seen firsthand what happens when guns are taken away from everyone butcriminals, juveniles, and the mentally ill. I believe that the legislation repealing Federal and District gun laws would place the families of the District of Columbia in great jeopardy.

Sincerely yours,

Dianne Feinstein
United States Senator
There, fixed that to show what she really meant to say. Guns don't just "fall into the hands" of criminals. They have been and always will be in the hands of criminals. The only reason it is so noticable in S.F. and D.C. is that they have tried to keep them out of the hands of law abiding citizens.