• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Constitution-Free Zone

Jubbie

imported post

Haven't seen this posted on this forum yet, and was wondering if anyone else knew about the 2nd amendment's involvement. Every article I've read mentions the 4th amendment, or the lack of it from the U.S. border to 100 miles inland. Just the wording has me worried. They could have called it 4th Amendment-Free Zone, but they lumped the whole thing in there.

http://www.aclu.org/privacy/spying/areyoulivinginaconstitutionfreezone.html

The premise reminds me of Harold & Kumar Escape From Guantanamo Bay. The DHC freaks out with power.

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

Didn't Hitler start WWII in the name of "homeland security"?

And because I love funny-but-true pictures.

HomelandSecurity1492.jpg

HomelandSecuritySS.jpg

dissenters_hate_freedom_copy.jpg

pledge.jpg

951dd72a30dea65ejl2.jpg

I could go on for days. Google is amazing.

frommycolddeadhands

imported post

Wow, that's an eye opener. I actually live in that 'constitution free zone' and if something like that ever happens to me, I know for a fact that I'm going to jail, because I'll be the most uncooperative SOB they've ever met. That's alright though, I've always wondered what the inside of the supreme court looked like.....

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

marshaul wrote:
AWDstylez wrote:
Didn't Hitler start WWII in the name of "homeland security"?
Actually, I think it was in the name of the "Third Reich". Same difference.

I could have sworn he actually used the phrase (translated obviously) "homeland security" in mein kampf. I remember laughing about it.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

http://gutenberg.net.au/ebooks02/0200601.txt

"Homeland" appears four times. "Security" twenty times and not any near 'homeland' that I noticed.

"Fatherland" is much more common. I imagine that the German tradition of das Vaterland http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatherland#English_usage_and_Nazi_connotations influenced the naming of the Department of Homeland Severity

Drawing from the Nazis' usage of the term "Vaterland", the direct English translation "fatherland" featured in news reports associated with Nazi Germany and in domestic anti-Nazi propaganda during World War II. As a result, the English word is now associated with the Nazi government of Germany[citation needed] (unlike in Germany itself, where the word means simply "homeland"). The word is not used often in post-World War II English unless one wishes to invoke the Nazis, or one is translating literally from a foreign language where that language's equivalent of "fatherland" does not bear Nazi connotations. The word Motherland in modern English carries similar associations with the Soviet Union. Homeland is the latest version of the trend, currently popular in the United States.

Prior to Nazism, however, the term was used throughout Germanic language countries without negative connotations, or often to refer to their homelands much as the word "motherland" does. For example, "Wien Neerlands Bloed", national anthem of the Netherlands between 1815 and 1932, makes extensive and conspicuous use of the parallel Dutch word. In Iceland (and other places) it is the norm to use the term "fatherland" (föðurland) and many would be offended if it was in any way compared with the Nazi term of the word.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Hitler used a lot of language like that. And yes, it is funny in a rather disturbing way.

My point was that there was a strong element of overt imperialism in Hitler's plan for Germany. We Americans still seem divided as to our imperialist tendencies. (Or do we?)

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Fatherland (Nazis) and Motherland (USSR) were the words that came immediately to mind when I first heard the government use the word Homeland--actually I saw it in print before I heard.

Orwellian was the third word that came to mind.

Tomahawk

imported post

Prior to 9/11 I had never heard of anyone using the word "Homeland" with a capital H to describe the United States. Nor had I ever imagined we'd ever see an internal security agency in the United States. Law enforcement, sure, we already have FBI, etc., but an internal security agency like KGB (aka. Committee for State Security), never. Very vomit-inducing to see how far we fell in just a few months.

Congrats, Mr. bin Laden, you won! And congrats to intrusive government control freaks, you won too!

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
marshaul wrote:
Careful posting that here, the ACLU apparently has arrest warrants out for a good number of our members. :quirky
Tell us you're joking. You are... right?
lol of course I'm joking. I was making fun of DEROS72, who was going off about being arrested by Obamunist, gun-grabbing ACLU officers.

Edit: Why, what did you think I was getting at?

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
Doug Huffman wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:
Congrats, Mr. bin Laden, you won! And congrats to intrusive government control freaks, you won too!
The dirty little secret.  The Obamination is evidence.

Um... yea... because it wasn't Bush that created Homeland Security... :quirky
You know, if you stop and think for a second, Doug has a point (although I'm not positive it's the point he was trying to make).

He cites "The Obamanation" as evidence, but not a causal factor. And I think he may be right: only in post-Bush America could such a statist, elitist, interventionist, militaristic, anti-individualist, Nationalistic-yet-not-Patriotic (he loves his government but not his country), and generally heinous character become so resounding popular among the Democratic left, who otherwise blindly pride themselves on their self-professed opposition to all the "isms" I mentioned above.

I think Obama makes good evidence for a certain unfortunate trend in American mainstream politics. A trend towards tyranny.

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

marshaul wrote:
You know, if you stop and think for a second, Doug has a point (although I'm not positive it's the point he was trying to make).

He cites "The Obamanation" as evidence, but not a causal factor. And I think he may be right: only in post-Bush America could such a statist, elitist, interventionist, militaristic, anti-individualist, Nationalistic-yet-not-Patriotic (he loves his government but not his country), and generally heinous character become so resounding popular among the Democratic left, who otherwise blindly pride themselves on their self-professed opposition to all the "isms" I mentioned above.

I think Obama makes good evidence for a certain unfortunate trend in American mainstream politics. A trend towards tyranny.

I don't think he meant it like that, nor did I take it like that, but that's a very good point. That isn't something I had thought of.