• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NRA Treachery in Pa. ?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

What do you know about this? :shock:

Code:
"[i]snip[/i]..... that the National Rifle Association... has been caught redhanded
pimping for illegal and immoral legislation to register long guns in
Pennsylvania.  Legislation that's also supported by Handgun Control,
Incorporated."
http://keithlynch.net/lns/ntip

Yata hey

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

I can connect the dots. Notice that he's talking to "Tanya". The Tanya that Smith is talking about was Tanya Metaksa. Tanya is the head of the NRA-ILA back in 1995. In 1995, A bill called "Act 17" was passed, which brought to Pennsylvania the Uniform Firearms Act. This law did a bunch of stuff, however it made the entirety of the state shall-issue, allowed out of state applications, and so on.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Thanks Lonnie - had no personal recollection - received as an attachment.

Glad it ended well as it did.

Yata hey

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

I went back and browsed Lynch's web stuff. He apparently writes from a terminal and in old low level code so browsing his directories is possible.

http://keithlynch.net/lns/
Here are 97 essays and open letters by the award-winning libertarian science fiction author L. Neil Smith. These essays are maintained here by Keith Lynch (who agrees with most but not all of this material) with L. Neil Smith's permission. His e-mail address is lneil@ezlink.com. New material from The Libertarian Enterprise added May 15th, 1996. More from the same source added August 1st. One more added in November 2000. Here are all mentions of L. Neil Smith in the SF-Lovers digest in the 1980s. 1980 1981 1982 1983 1984 1985 1986 1987 1988 1989
Page last updated November 3rd, 2000.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Ancient history, reborn and buried -

As mentioned earlier, this came to me as an attachment to an email. It had no dateline and my knowledge of the author was non-existant. It did not fit anything I knew (inconsistant with) regarding the current situation/climate in Pa. and knew I would not be on PC for at least 24 hr. so I threw out the question for those better able to respond.

In retrospect, I likely should have saved it 'til I had a chance to do some research.
Sorry - my bad. Lesson reinforced.

Good digging though guys - appreciate the response.

Yata hey

Tomahawk

imported post

Nothing to be ashamed of, GS. Any history which uncovers NRA shenanigans is good history. The more we know about NRA's faults the better we can deal with them, by fixing them or fighting them as needed.

Thundar

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Ancient history, reborn and buried -

As mentioned earlier, this came to me as an attachment to an email. It had no dateline and my knowledge of the author was non-existant. It did not fit anything I knew (inconsistant with) regarding the current situation/climate in Pa. and knew I would not be on PC for at least 24 hr. so I threw out the question for those better able to respond.

In retrospect, I likely should have saved it 'til I had a chance to do some research.
Sorry - my bad. Lesson reinforced.

Good digging though guys - appreciate the response.

Yata hey
It might be old news, but NRA Treachery in Pa. is certainly alive and well. It is sad that such stories are so believable.