• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

'Chicago Beats New York, Los Angeles In Murders' CBS2Chicago.com

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

http://cbs2chicago.com/local/chicago.homicide.rate.2.847736.html

Police Supt. Jody Weis To Take Hot City Council Hot Seat CHICAGO (CBS) ― Chicago is the Second City in nickname and the third in population, but when it comes to murder, the city has the dubious distinction of being second to no city in America.

As CBS 2's Mike Puccinelli reports, the Chicago Sun-Times pointed out on Friday that Chicago has seen 426 homicides this year through Tuesday, compared with 417 in New York and 302 in Los Angeles.

At the end of 1998, Chicago made international headlines as the U.S. "murder capital" after surpassing New York's homicide totals for the first time ever. Chicago shed that dubious distinction when murders plummeted over the last decade.

There are more than 8 million people in New York, compared to slightly under 3 million in Chicago. The population of Los Angeles exceeds that of Chicago by more than 800,000.

Murder is also up, at a lower rate, in New York.

The alarming statistics were expected to come up on Friday when Police Supt. Jody Weis once again appeared before the City Council to address a crime rate that many believe has spun out of control. He appeared at a City Council budget hearing, which began at 10 a.m.

Weis, a career FBI agent, took office this year with a mandate to clean up the department in the wake of several scandals. But murders have risen, and arrests have fallen, on his watch.

Back in July, Weis addressed the media after being grilled by the Council on the subject.

"I don't mind tough questions," Weis said in July, not long after a shooting erupted on the streets of the Loop as crowds were leaving the annual Grant Park fireworks show. "The City of Chicago has the right to ask tough questions, especially when our crime is up nearly 13 percent."

Under tough questioning at a Council hearing that month, Weis suggested there was a "degree of timidness" among officers afraid of having lawsuits and citizen complaints filed against them.

At the hearing Friday, Weis may highlight what police view as a different problem: Officers have spent nearly 5,000 hours filling out inventory forms in the first nine months of 2008. "We'd rather they be on the street," said Beatrice Cuello, deputy superintendent of patrol.

Last year, the Cook County sheriff, who runs the jail, stopped inventorying arrestees' property. Under an agreement with the Police Department, cops took over the task.

"It's not our responsibility," said Steve Patterson, a spokesman for Sheriff Tom Dart. "We had an entire room filled with property.

Chicago is on pace to exceed 500 murders by the end of the year, but that number is far short of even approaching a record. In every year between 1991 and 1994, there were more than 900 homicides in the city, peaking in 1992 with 943 murders. The standing record for homicides in Chicago dates back to 1974, when there were 970 murders.

CBS 2's Mike Puccinelli and the STNG Wire contributed to this report.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
SNIP Under tough questioning at a Council hearing that month, Weis suggested there was a "degree of timidness" among officers afraid of having lawsuits and citizen complaints filed against them.

(chuckle)

Good!

Although I doubt that is the real reason, even in the police chief's mind. I'm thinking he's just using it toplant the seed in people's minds that taking a hard line on rights is detrimental to their own personal security.

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

"At a later meeting, Supt. Weis said this might be the time to seriously consider allowing citizens to carry firearms for self defense, and will ask Mayor Daley to allow a concealed carry option for Chicago."

:)

//sarcasm off// :(

I_Hate_Illinois

imported post

Dutch Uncle wrote:
"At a later meeting, Supt. Weis said this might be the time to seriously consider allowing citizens to carry firearms for self defense, and will ask Mayor Daley to allow a concealed carry option for Chicago."

:)

//sarcasm off// :(
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
No, my friend, the state of Illinois is going to have to force Shitcago and King Richard to deal with concealed carry. Its on the ballot in 14 counties in November. Its a non-binding referendum but it will bring the issue up and I think it has a good shot as more and more people are aware that they live in 1 of only 2 states that dont allow it in some form. The way I see it, Daley doesnt want concealed carry for a multitude of reasons, not the least of which is that the crime rate will plummet and he will be proven wrong about guns once and for all.

Deanimator

imported post

Let's see, Chicago cops aren't doing their jobs because... they're afraid of getting sued for getting insane drunk and kicking a barmaid in the face.

Fighting crime without the Chicago PD is like going swimming without your anvil.

I_Hate_Illinois

imported post

Deanimator wrote:
Let's see, Chicago cops aren't doing their jobs because... they're afraid of getting sued for getting insane drunk and kicking a barmaid in the face.

Fighting crime without the Chicago PD is like going swimming without your anvil.
Whats an anvil?

jeeper1

imported post

Whats an anvil?

It's a non aerodynamic projectile launched more or less vertically by small quantities of black powder.

Deanimator

imported post

I_Hate_Illinois wrote:
Deanimator wrote:

Whats an anvil?
Back in the 19th century when the Chicago Police Department first embarked on its uninterrupted reign of criminal violence, it was a substantial steel object on which blacksmiths hand forged various metal items, including horse shoes:

anvil.jpg

I_Hate_Illinois

imported post

Deanimator wrote:
I_Hate_Illinois wrote:
Deanimator wrote:

Whats an anvil?
Back in the 19th century when the Chicago Police Department first embarked on its uninterrupted reign of criminal violence, it was a substantial steel object on which blacksmiths hand forged various metal items, including horse shoes:

anvil.jpg
Ha ha ha. Thanks, guy. Now I get the joke. Good one, might I add.

EMSIG

imported post

But Chicago polotics dont need reform? That is where Barry H. Obama is currently serving as Senator? It is also a place where hand guns arent welcome? It is also against the law to have or use common sense in Chicago! Thank you King Richard you are a genius!:banghead: