• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

WSU Pullman Campus Attacks

kenny31

imported post

There have been a number of attacks on members of the "alternative lifestyle community" on the WSU campus. The interesting thing is that 3 have been publicized, I have it on good authority that another 7 have been hidden by the administration. I find this both interesting and disturbing. Yet another example of the effects of a victim disarmament zone. Regardless of what I may think of their lifestyle, I don't think that they should have to put up with this crap. Here's the letter from President Floyd.

------

Universities must be welcoming places. People with different beliefs and interests, people of different ethnicities and sexual orientations, people who grew up around here and people who grew up on the other side of the world — they all come together on a college campus. And they build a community dedicated to learning.

That feeling of community is precious to us. It is integral to what we, as a university, can accomplish. We must be willing to defend it.

Today, some members of our community feel threatened as a result of several assaults that have occurred in recent days on and around campus. The most recent came on Monday evening, when a person in the Center for Undergraduate Education parking lot was assaulted by someone who expressed bias against members of the gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender community.

WSU and Pullman police are also investigating two other assaults, which appear to be bias-related, that have happened in the past week.

To say such assaults are an outrage is, of course, to state the obvious. Any criminal assault should be punished. However, when there is evidence that people are being targeted simply for being who they are, our sense of outrage is heightened. We feel great compassion for the individual victims. At the same time, the sense of safety and of community that we all value is threatened.

We must not be a community that merely "tolerates" diversity or "accepts" diversity, but a community that celebrates the diversity of its members. We learn from people with different points of view and life experiences. When any segment of our population is targeted, is marginalized, is silenced, we all are the poorer for it.

So I ask you to reach out to those fellow students who feel threatened by these recent assaults. Offer them aid and comfort, a friendly smile or a helping hand. Take care of one another.

Also, anyone with any information regarding these crimes, please contact the police departments of Washington State University or the city of Pullman. The best outcome would be to have the perpetrators of these acts quickly arrested and prosecuted.

Even though our campus remains a safe place, it is clearly not immune from the elements of intolerance and hatred that too often plague the larger society.

We are not immune, but we should be steadfast. This is our community. We won't be divided.

Sincerely,

President Elson S. Floyd, Ph.D.

G27

imported post

I'm not sure if I speak for all, but I would rather be judged by the dean of the school for defending myself or someone else rather than become a victim or a witness. I am sure anyone with enough common sense can see that point of view.

Too bad common sense is scare these days; even at our highest levels of education.

johnfenter

imported post

I certainly agree that nobody should have to tolerate this kind of harassment and assault. But I'd also make clear to the University President that I will determine for myself what I "must celebrate" when it comes to the lifestyles of others, or even "accept". Tolerance is all that is required. And this is not just about the GBLT lifestyle choices, but others as well. Things like goth, emo, PETA, and others. I will tolerate their right to live their lives as they wish; but I won't tolerate their forcing it down my throat by trying to get special "rights" for themselves. There are no women's rights, gay rights, animal rights, black rights, white rights, Native American rights, etc. There are only human rights.

kenny31

imported post

I agree. I know Floyd professionally and do not necessarily agree with his comments on the issue regarding diversity and the like. At the same time, I'm a libertarian and could care less what the GBLT community does. I'd like to catch the folks responsible for this in the act. This is a valid case for concealed carry on campus, perhaps some letter writing is in order.

shakul

imported post

kenny31 wrote:
So I ask you to reach out to those fellow students who feel threatened by these recent assaults. Offer them aid and comfort, a friendly smile or a helping hand. Take care of one another.
Ok this is called a 1911, you insert the magazine like this *inserts mag* you pull this *pulls the slide* then you hold it like this *combat holds w. finger off trigger* then when the attacker doesn't retreat and lunges... you shoot 'em dead. *all the while with a reassuring smile*

This is my helping hand and smile:)

kenny31

imported post

shakul wrote:
kenny31 wrote:
Ok this is called a 1911, you insert the magazine like this *inserts mag* you pull this *pulls the slide* then you hold it like this *combat holds w. finger off trigger* then when the attacker doesn't retreat and lunges... you shoot 'em dead. *all the while with a reassuring smile*

This is my helping hand and smile:)

That's my preferred method of training. Again, while I do not necessarily agree with their mindset - I have a great respect for the "Pink Pistols" (the gay CCW group). Any person who takes their self-defense as their own personal responsibility is considered an ally of mine.

DEROS72

imported post

I totally disagree with the mindset.It taught against in our church and My Kids went through private Christian schools that taught against it.Now they being grown also teach against it.As is our right.That being said we are also taught to never ever attack a neighbor or harm or allow harm to come to another person because of that belief..As I ademently disagree, I will defend a gay neighbor or anyother if they came under attack .I would also stand with the Pink Pistols in their basic rights but that doesn't mean I will say the lifestyle is ok.We are all allies on this point and need to get together.The anti's will win if they can divide us.Which so far they are doing ok with that.I have seen many here including myself start after each other to make various political statements .In my opinion we all, and again I include myself have to stop attacking each other and Refocus on 2A or indeed they will take it from us while we have our backs turned arguing with each other.Again,I don't like the gay lifestyle ,but if someone trys to take my gay neighbors gun away and his right to protect himself ,then they will need toget through me first.

shakul

imported post

DEROS72 wrote:
I totally disagree with the mindset.It taught against in our church and My Kids went through private Christian schools that taught against it.Now they being grown also teach against it.As is our right.That being said we are also taught to never ever attack a neighbor or harm or allow harm to come to another person because of that belief..As I ademently disagree, I will defend a gay neighbor or anyother if they came under attack .I would also stand with the Pink Pistols in their basic rights but that doesn't mean I will say the lifestyle is ok.We are all allies on this point and need to get together.The anti's will win if they can divide us.Which so far they are doing ok with that.I have seen many here including myself start after each other to make various political statements .In my opinion we all, and again I include myself have to stop attacking each other and Refocus on 2A or indeed they will take it from us while we have our backs turned arguing with each other.Again,I don't like the gay lifestyle ,but if someone trys to take my gay neighbors gun away and his right to protect himself ,then they will need toget through me first.
I agree we should refocus more on the 2A and our rights than fighting and arguing over who has the most correct political ideology or who can read law better or whatever argument we are having atm.

Take the Port of Seattle Meeting, right now we have 9 votes up there but only a few people have said that they can go/participate. We should get as many people (even if not everyone OC's) to go in support of our rights.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum55/17571.html

DEROS72

imported post

I am with you on that Shakul .I am pretty much retired and have a lot of time but no car.So if anyone is up for it I would just need a lift...

DEROS72

imported post

Tell me more about these meetings.I will go but I need to be tuned up on whats going on there.

computerizedfish

imported post

Some of the attacks happened in areas where firearms are allowed for the time being, but the university is trying to extend their reach even farther into Pullman to make an even bigger victim disarmament zone.:(

DEROS72

imported post

The anti gun people aren't getting it.If someone is bent on steeling you car or wallet willthey go where there is a chance someone may be armed and able to protect themselves or to an area that is adesignated gun free zone?

Vandal

imported post

ok, I have a little update on this including some a linky from the WSU paper.

http://www.dailyevergreen.com/story/26701

Now for some new, like just happened info. I am sitting here with my girlfriend in Pullman when she got a phone call about 10 minutes ago about a person being attacked tonight down by the downtown. He was approached by a big, well built male who was calling him a "fag" and other things before he attacked. The victim tried to run but was chased down and hit multiple times as he tried to escape. He got away after being hit a couple of times and has only bruises. The attack came from behind and the suspect had his hand under a jacket giving the impression of a firearm. Note, the victim is not gay. I am a good friend of the victim. He is the son of a cop and got a good look at his attacker and is meeting with the sketch artist tomorrow. I really hope the cops get off their butts, stop worrying about the frat parties and actually go do police work and find who ever is doing this.

These attacks in Pullman are bull@#$% in my opinion. I am going to be bringing my 12 ga 870 up for my girlfriend and as long as I am not on WSU campus my xd45 will be on and either OC'd or stashed under my jacket. I used to feel pretty safe in the Moscow/ Pullman area but over the past few years it seems to have gone down hill fast. What is going on around here?

Maybe it's time for a large OC gathering in Pullman again.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

AS Vandal's story shows, this is not about GBLT and I'm not any more outraged because a homosexual or guy in a dress is attacked than any other person. There is no need for an awareness campaign. The fact is that whoever is perpetrating these attacks is a bully. He or they is attacking people he/they see as weaker. The very attack on a straight guy who is being called "fag" during the attack shows this is the case. Who didn't see it in high school where some bully called the kids he didn't like or thought he could take "fags" as an insult. It didn't matter if they were gay or straight, but rather that they could be bullied at that moment.

By calling for awareness campaigns and the like just separates GBLT from the rest of humanity. It doesn't make them special or unique. It just points out to people that they are different and I think breeds resentment. The fact is that some animals are attacking people on and around the WSU Pullman Campus. It is unacceptable for them to attack their fellow citizens in such a manner regardless of the proclivities of the victim. The ONLY way GBLT enters into it is that they appear to be the primarily targeted group so the "awareness campaign" should be limited to warning more effiminate men and sort of butch women regardless of their orientation and those who are openly GBL or T that there are criminals in the community who are attacking people who they think fit into those categories the same way the community would be alerted if they were targeting students who carry a blue backpack or wear certain brand clothing.

To make this political or into an special interest matter is to ignore the fact that bullies are bullies and will always find a justification and target for their violence and criminal acts.

Shy_Panda

imported post

From what i have gathered there are actually two separate types of attacks going as far as who is committing these attacks. There is a group of three guys that appears to be attacking people who they think are gay (one of the victims in the earlier attacks was not gay); and there is a single individual committing the other attacks. It sounds like it it the single male who frighteningly matches my description somewhat well is the one who is committing the more violent attacks.

I am going to chime in with everyone else and say that although i don't necessarily agree with the lifestyle it is not my life that they are living so i really don't care. The fact that someone, anyone, is being attacked for any reason is BS. I don't care who you are, the second your fist crosses into my rights is the second you lose yours, same thing applies if I witness you beating up someone else. Indiscriminate violence can not and will not be tolerated here in Pullman or anywhere else upstanding citizens such as ourselves are located.

Hammer

imported post

Having taught at a state sponsored post secondary institution, I find a curious dichotomy in all this.
On the one hand, total acceptance of alternate lifestyles is expected- nay, even demanded.
However, when I volunteered to represent a differing viewpoint in the PolySci class (only the most left-wing liberal viewpoint was taught or tolerated) I was told no "Neo-Con" right wing Republican would be able to represent a differing viewpoint.
I'm not for bashing (literally or figuratively) the queers, but if the learning institution is about diversity, all viewpoints need to be represented.
And yeah, I OC'd on campus. It's legal where I taught.

shad0wfax

imported post

As a WSU student, I have always felt that the WSU campus is a disarmament zone because of WAC's that directly contradict our states constitution and the RCW that allows for concealed carry. (Nowhere does it state that carrying at places ofhigher education is against the law. It specifically states K-12 with gun-free signs posted. It's the WACs that each University tailors for its own purposes that disarm me, not the RCW and I would think that the state constitution should trump the WACs.)

TheUniversity presidenttells me that I must not only accept or tolerate diversity, but celebrate it. That's ridiculous. I'm not advocating violence and I believe that it is legally and morally wrong to physically assault someone, regardless of motivation. If the perps get caught, and I hope they do, they should be tried and punished according to the law. However, I think that hate-crime legislation is ridiculous. Assault is a criminal offense, having a prejudiced or biggoted viewpoint is not. Hatred is not against the law. The first amendment guarantees us the right to speak our minds, provided we don't slander or libel someone, but Washington state has hate-crime legislation which guarantees the perps of these crimes far stiffer sentances if they are convicted.

By the way, this same presidentwants to expand the campus boundaries into the city of Pullman by creating a "partnership" zone where the campus will take responsibility for street-lighting and additional University Police patrols. The president neglected to mention that the campus WACs will also apply to the private housing that falls into this "University District" of Pullman. It's all in the name of curbing this violence (which is actually happening on-campus, not off-campus), reducing the alcohol related crimes, and making the surrounding areas of the campus more safe for residents.

I do not tolerate violence, or more specifically the recent assaults, but I will tolerate the victims' choice(s) to be gay just as I will tolerate the perps' right(s) to hate the gay lifestyle.

Celebrationis a two-way street. If we are to not only accept and tolerate, but celebrate this diversity, then we should be celebrating all diversity, and that means celebrating biggotry as well... Wow, those sure are dangerous and inciteful words...

Maybe we should scrap the whole celebration issue and just tolerate everyone's right to their own opinions and lifestyles instead. The campus would be a nicer place that way. I don't want to celebrate the anti-gun crowd any more than they want to celebrate my diversity: (clickable thumbnail)

Vandal wrote:
Maybe it's time for a large OC gathering in Pullman again.
That sounds like a good idea. I'd participate.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

shad0wfax wrote:
Maybe we should scrap the whole celebration issue and just tolerate everyone's right to their own opinions and lifestyles instead. The WORLD would be a nicer place that way.
Fixed it for ya ... ;) And the rest was well said.

DEROS72

imported post

If I here that celebrate diversity one more time I think I'll puke.The certainly don't celebrate my rt wing ,pro life ,pro gun ,Christian diversity.

This is the only diversity I celebrate!