• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

WSU Pullman Campus Attacks

Shy_Panda

imported post

I obviously couldn't have said it any better myself shadowfax... because I didn't when I had the chance. And your words that you feel are potentially inciteful... guess what the first amendment has your back on this one, even if the ACLU does not.

shad0wfax

imported post

Shy_Panda wrote:
I obviously couldn't have said it any better myself shadowfax... because I didn't when I had the chance. And your words that you feel are potentially inciteful... guess what the first amendment has your back on this one, even if the ACLU does not.

Yeah, I wore my Celebrate Diversity T-Shirt that I photographed and put up in my previous post as a response to yesterday's front page article in the Evergreen about the GLBT rally.

I am seriously considering writing a letter to the editor of the Evergreen about celebrating diversitywith very similar wording to what I posted here (without any references to firearms)but I honestly fear reprisal from the school if it gets published. (They require a full name, phone number, and school association to be given with the letter submission, although they don't publish your phone number.) I can just see it backfiring on me as a current student; I'm not a biggot, but insinuating that we'd have to celebrate all forms of diversity rather than just a select few would have me labeled as a biggot by the campus in general.

Shy_Panda

imported post

Dude, the general populous of campus would probably consider you a bigot but I feel as though the intelligent ones would read it and understand the point that you would be making... it sounds like we need to get a pullman meet going here real soon.

shad0wfax

imported post

Well, Panda, you give me a time and a place and I'll be there.

It's going to take more than two of us to make any type of statement. Perhaps some of the folks from the Moscow and Lewiston-Clarkston area would make a short trip as well.

computerizedfish

imported post

I was thinking that I would write to the editor as well, but on a slightly different topic. The university keeps talking about spending hundreds of thousands of dollars on new lightbulbs and improved lighting for safety, instead I think the university should lift the firearms ban, put the indoor gun range back into the field house, and offer training and classes. That would make this area more safe than spending the students organizations money on lighting.

shad0wfax

imported post

computerizedfish wrote:
I was thinking that I would write to the editor as well, but on a slightly different topic. The university keeps talking about spending hundreds of thousands of dollars on new lightbulbs and improved lighting for safety, instead I think the university should lift the firearms ban, put the indoor gun range back into the field house, and offer training and classes. That would make this area more safe than spending the students organizations money on lighting.

+1 I couldn't agree more.

The full page ASWSU advertisement on the last page of the Evergreen reads:

[line]

Our Goal:

$100,000

Our Dream:
Lighting on COllege Hill

"Safe Walk" Prorgrams

Safety Kiosks on Campus

Self-Defense and Personal Safety Scholarships

Our Only Hope:

Please join ASWSU and the Cougar family in our efforts to raise money to support safety at WSU. Sponsor a table at our dinner to be held on Friday, November 14, 2008 in the CUB Senior Ballroom beginning at 6:00 p.m.

To reserve a table contact:

[url]www.students4safety.wsu.edu[/url]

or call: 509.3354717

ASWSU

Working together. Getting results.

[line]

I think they should be advocating for the repeal of the unconstitutional (state and federal) WACs that prohibit firearms on campus and award the self-defense and personal safety scholarships to students who (after the repeal) lawfully carry openly and/or concealed on campus.

Hey, I'm allowed to dream, right?

shakul

imported post

University cmpuses are not "protected" by federal law, only state law or school regulations... Note how in UtAH there are schools where you can carry (concealed)

joeroket

imported post

computerizedfish wrote:
I dont understand why the ASWSU is doing this and what is a self defense/personal safety scholarship anyways? I want an self defense scholarship so I can go buy a new gun:D
The scholarship pays a $40 dollar fee for a self defense class. These guys actually want to take your own money to pay for stuff that the school should be paying for. They should be taking that money and using it for lobbying purposes to allow students to protect themselves instead of having to rely on volunteers to walk them home at night.