• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

open carry w/ suppressor?

squisher

imported post

TheMrMitch wrote:
In Pa...suppressors are legal as I see it. Therefore I would think it would be legal to open carry also.I won't ask why one would do that.
Easy, it would look kinda silly to be wearing earplugs all the time :)

We carry for the off chance that we might need it, but I doubt any of us have any hearing protection on all the time on the off chance that we'll have to use our weapons to defend ourselves. I know I'm resigned to the possible hearing damage, I just pray it never comes to that.

Now, if it were not cost prohibitive to equip our carry weapon with a suppressor/muffler, then we could defend ourselves, AND not go deaf from it. What a thought!

TheMrMitch

imported post

You're not going to go deaf from a gun fight as a general rule. You're not going to even hear the shots, in a sense. You will most likely have tunnel vision and not evenfeel the recoil.

Most people think they've fired 1 or 2 shots when in reality they've emptied their weapon. It's quick.

Lastly, think what a panel of your peers will possibly think if you had to use your weapon fitted with a suppressor.

Cost is $400 and up plus $200 to government and adds 6 or more inches to your weapon. Quite a sight.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

OC with a suppressor, huh? Sounds like something protector84 might want to consider. God forbid any mall customers suffer hearing damage... :uhoh:

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

TheMrMitch wrote:
You're not going to go deaf from a gun fight as a general rule. You're not going to even hear the shots, in a sense. You will most likely have tunnel vision and not evenfeel the recoil.

The auditory exclusion may prevent you from noticing the gunshots being loud, but that won't prevent you from suffering from hearing damage for the rest of your life.

TheMrMitch

imported post

Almost any loud noise will damage your hearing. Age damages it too. BUT....you will not go deaf at the first or more gunfight. When younger,I used to NEVER wear a hearing suppressor and at 66 I'm not deaf. Yes I could probably hear a little better had I protected my hearing.

Now that pistol with the extra long barrel (suppressed) sure sticks out to me.:)

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

True, any loud noise can damage your hearing.Ear plugs should be used for any noise within that threshold in my opinion.

I've been exposed to some loud noises, including about 50 9mm without ear plugs once due to my stupidity. (Sitting next to a drummer in a band for a few years didn't help either.)

I don't have much hearing loss, but I do have a constant ringing in my ears which does make it hard to concentrate at times.

I can't say for sure that it was exposure to loud noises asI've also had ear infections in the past, but I know that exposure to loud noises can cause such things.

I suppose it is true that the amount of hearing loss you are likely to accrue in a defensive shooting is not all that much, but it still sucks that some small degree of hearing loss is probable.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Like a gun dog or horse, we must train ourselves not to flinch.

After 25 years in submarine enginerooms at 100+% power on steam-dumps and not using hearing protection after I learned to shoot, I don't flinch. YMMV

We were required to make particular rates of power change with two manually operated steam-dumps - big globe valves - operated by two big sailors. We'd train one to beat out the one turn per beat rhythm with a sledgehammer on the deck plates. Literal megawatts of steam is extraordinarily noisy.

In training a 5 MW steam leak was simulated through a two inch valve off IIRC 600# steam. It looked like a ten foot long blue flame and made feathers out of a rag mop.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Felid`Maximus wrote:
True, any loud noise can damage your hearing. Ear plugs should be used for any noise within that threshold in my opinion.

I've been exposed to some loud noises, including about 50 9mm without ear plugs once due to my stupidity.  (Sitting next to a drummer in a band for a few years didn't help either.)

I don't have much hearing loss, but I do have a constant ringing in my ears which does make it hard to concentrate at times. 

I can't say for sure that it was exposure to loud noises as I've also had ear infections in the past, but I know that exposure to loud noises can cause such things.     

I suppose it is true that the amount of hearing loss you are likely to accrue in a defensive shooting is not all that much, but it still sucks that some small degree of hearing loss is probable.
Probably those 50 9mm or maybe the ear infections.

I've played in a metal band, seen more live shows than I can count (and before I took my music listening seriously I never wore ear protection), shot thousands of rounds of .22 LR, and been in the same room as a .45 ACP ND, but I have no tinnitus. Or if I do, it's below the "silence" threshold.

Flyer22

imported post

I've thought about the noise issue, especially indoors--say for example, a home invasion. I like classical music, so I'm more sensitive to the possibility of hearing loss thana lot ofpeople might be. But if I ever do need tofire in self-defense, the noise issue is going to take a very distant second place to staying alive and hopefully unhurt.

markand

imported post

"Can" and "Should" are very different questions. The practical reality is that any action taken to defend yourself with a class 3 device (gun with suppressor, full auto weapon of any kind, short barreled shotgun or rifle, etc.) is going to get lots of law enforcement scrutiny. No matter how justified the action might be. Not saying that's right, just reality.

kurtmax_0

imported post

Do what you want to do. If it's a clean shoot it's a clean shoot.

IIRC though, if you are convicted of any crime while using a suppressor that's extra time in federal prison.

Personally, I wouldn't carry a handgun with a suppressor. Too bulky. I do plan to have suppressors on all of my HD firearms though.