• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Holster Safety

noittinen

imported post

Hi, I am new to the forum and have a question regarding holster safety. I recently purchased a Super Blackhawk 5.5" and a mexican loop style holster. The only form of retention is a rawhide loop that hooks over the hammer spur. While this does keep the gun inside the holster when inverted or otherwise jostled is this an adequate level of retention? Would i be liable or otherwise in violation of rules written or not written if I oc'd with this holster. Thanks for your time.

G27

imported post

There is no law regulating how a firearm may be holstered or what kind of holster must be used.

This also doesn't mean being lax on your holsters, though. Some level of retention isn't only smart, but is necessary in my opinion if you're open carrying. May it be the form of a Blackhawk holster or a leather strap or some other means of retention.

noittinen

imported post

Does anyone know if a flap holster that fully covers the firearm counts as concealing it? I do not have my concealed weapons permit yet and would hate to jepordize my getting one in the future. As far as i've seen this is the only holster made for the Super Blackhawk that affords an extra level of retention.

G27

imported post

noittinen wrote:
Does anyone know if a flap holster that fully covers the firearm counts as concealing it? I do not have my concealed weapons permit yet and would hate to jepordize my getting one in the future. As far as i've seen this is the only holster made for the Super Blackhawk that affords an extra level of retention.
Good question. I personally would err on the side of caution with that one. While in the end it would most likely get thrown out, some people get harassed for legally open carrying. Wouldn't want to push the envelope too far unless you got the time and money to see it through to the end. Just my honest opinion.

noittinen

imported post

Thanks G27 and Bear! You guys and the people on this forum are the kind of people that make this state great and give a good name to non-conformists and free thinkers. :)

Bear 45/70

imported post

AbNo wrote:
Ravenhawk wrote:
I OC with no retention whatsoever I carry @ 11:00 ... Never a problem.
Yeah, but I bet you also hit on an 18 in Blackjack, don't you? ;)
Retention does not require a retention holster. Cops need retention holsters because they have to chase down and mix it up with bad guys. Citizens don't, hence retention is not required unless you plan on standing on your head or falling down a lot. If you think you need a retention holster for OC you are either paranoid or doing cops work for free and need to stop.

Bear 45/70

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
Thank you. I CCW'd Mexican for a long time in SC with no incidents. I am 6'2" 250# and my CCW is a H&K USP compact.
What cal? My wife' second favorite carry pistol in her 45 ACP H&K USP Compact with lefthand saftey.

AbNo

imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
AbNo wrote:
Ravenhawk wrote:
Retention does not require a retention holster. Cops need retention holsters because they have to chase down and mix it up with bad guys. Citizens don't, hence retention is not required unless you plan on standing on your head or falling down a lot. If you think you need a retention holster for OC you are either paranoid or doing cops work for free and need to stop.
That doesn't mean retention is a bad idea, however. :D

Bear 45/70

imported post

AbNo wrote:
Bear 45/70 wrote:
AbNo wrote:
Ravenhawk wrote:
IMO, relying on your holster to do the retention job for you is not a good thing. You can become complacent about retention because the holster is suppose to be so good at it. I would rather rely on my abilities than trusting the holster. We are not cops who play wrestle mania with bad guys. Also what if the holster fails andreleases the weapon at the wrong time or place or worse does not release the weapon when you need it? I've never lost a weapon other than in training scenarios.

AbNo

imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
AbNo wrote:
IMO, relying on your holster to do the retention job for you is not a good thing.
Show me ANYWHERE in this thread where I've used the word "rely", and you'll have a point.

Until then, I stand by my statement. :)

Bear 45/70

imported post

AbNo wrote:
Bear 45/70 wrote:
AbNo wrote:
IMO, relying on your holster to do the retention job for you is not a good thing.
Show me ANYWHERE in this thread where I've used the word "rely", and you'll have a point.

Until then, I stand by my statement. :)
Where did I say that anybody here said they relied on there holster for retention? I just said I did not think it was a good thing. By retention, do you mean mechanical retention as in a hammer retention strap or holster clip, or do you mean overall retention, including using your brain for something more than keep sound from echoing between your ears? Because it sounds like you mean mechanical only. Why is it that I'm always being accused of not reading other's posts before responding, but it is just fine or others to not read my posts?

spurrit

imported post

If it's properly made and employed, that gun should stay put, no matter what. If it'll keep my pistol holstered while my horse has a bucking fit, it ought to stand up to anything you'll probably do with it.