• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Completing CHL

jdv

imported post

Did the online application. Says I need to provide the following. Just want to make sure i provide the right ones here. Excuse my ignorance. Coming from Colorado and it was a lot easier to obtain.

1) 3 Affidavits signed and initialed by applicant and notarized.

Will these affidavits be mailed to me or do i download them? I saw a site to download but there are more the 3 affidavits there. Which ones?

2) Passport photo holder with signature.

Is this required? Where do I obtain?

3) Two Passport Photos.

I figure walgreen passport photos or post office will do?

4)Two fingerprint cards.

Where or Who does this for the community? I recall doing it for a security clearance but Uncle Sam had that covered. Out here in the civilian world... where does one get this service done?

I think that covers it all right? Online application plus the above.

By the way, i have signed the petition for open carry. I support it.

Thank You.

John

Canyon Lake, Texas

Update...

I did find the FAST fingerprint service for the finger print. Made an appointment already. To easy. Just curious now if i have the right 3 affidavits and the passport requirement. Not sure if the passport pics have to come from a specific place such as the finger prints. I dont want to get rejected due to "a place" not being legit in the Texas book requirements. First time go doing the right thing is what im aiming for.

rodbender

imported post

Have you taken the CHL class yet. Most instructors have everything you need to send in. Mine took the passport photos, fingerprints, affidavits, everything.Check with instructor before you send anything. You need to take the class first anyway.

jdv

imported post

Left that out. I believe Active Duty Military dont have to. Is that correct? Can someone verify/clarify that for me.

I have done the class and rangein Colorado back in 99 but not recently.

rodbender

imported post

jdv wrote:
Left that out. I believe Active Duty Military dont have to. Is that correct? Can someone verify/clarify that for me.

I have done the class and rangein Colorado back in 99 but not recently.
Looks like youmay beexempt from the handgunproficiency portion of the class, but not the entire class. Check withTexas Dept. of Public Safety to see if you can transfer your Colorado license. Read belowthe part in red and particularly the word after (B) that is in blue.

REGULATORY LICENSING SERVICE MSC 0245
TEXAS DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC SAFETY

PO BOX 4087
AUSTIN TX 78773-0245
Phone: (512) 424-7293 or (512) 424-7294
Helpline: (800) 224-5744

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/ftp/forms/ls-16.pdf

[align=left]GC
9411.1 88. HANDGUN PROFICIENCY REQUIREMENT. (a) The[/align]
[align=left]director by rule shall establish minimum standards for handgun profi-
[/align]
[align=left]
ciency and shall develop a course to teach handgun proficiency and[/align]
[align=left]examinations to measure handgun proficiency. The course to teach[/align]
[align=left]handgun proficiency must contain training sessions divided into two[/align]
[align=left]parts. One part of the course must be classroom instruction and the[/align]
[align=left]other part must be range instruction and an actual demonstration by[/align]
[align=left]the applicant of the applicant's ability to safely and proficiently use the[/align]
[align=left]category of handgun for which the applicant seeks certification. An[/align]
[align=left]applicant may not be certified unless the applicant demonstrates, at a[/align]
[align=left]minimum, the degree of proficiency that is required to effectively[/align]
[align=left]operate a handgun of.32 caliber or above. The department shall[/align]
[align=left]distribute the standards, course requirements, and examinations on[/align]
[align=left]request to any qualied handgun instructor.[/align]
[align=left](b) Only a qualified handgun instructor may administer a handgun[/align]
[align=left]proficiency course. The handgun proficiency course must include at[/align]
[align=left]least 10 hours and not more than 15 hours of instruction on:[/align]
[align=left](1) the laws that relate to weapons and to the use of deadly force;[/align]
[align=left](2) handgun use, proficiency, and safety;[/align]

[align=left](3)
nonviolent dispute resolution; and[/align]
[align=left](4) proper storage practices for handguns with an emphasis on[/align]
[align=left]storage practices that eliminate the possibility of accidental injury to a[/align]
[align=left]child.[/align]
[align=left](c) The department by rule shall develop a continuing education[/align]
[align=left]course in handgun proficiency for a license holder who wishes to[/align]
[align=left]renew a license. Only a qualiied handgun instructor may administer[/align]
[align=left]the continuing education course. The course must include:[/align]
[align=left](1) at least four hours of instruction on one or more of the[/align]
[align=left]subjects listed in Subsection (b); and[/align]
[align=left](2) other information the director determines is appropriate.[/align]
[align=left](d) Only a qualified handgun instructor may administer the proficiency[/align]
[align=left]examination to obtain or to renew a license. The proficiency[/align]
[align=left]examination must include:[/align]
[align=left](1) a written section on the subjects listed in Subsection (b); and[/align]
[align=left](2) a physical demonstration of proficiency in the use of one or[/align]
[align=left]more handguns of specific categories and in handgun safety procedures.[/align]
[align=left](e) Only a qualified handgun instructor may administer the proficiency[/align]
[align=left]examination to modify a license. The proficiency examination[/align]
[align=left]must include a physical demonstration of the proficiency in the use of[/align]
[align=left]one or more handguns of specific categories and in handgun safety[/align]
[align=left]procedures.[/align]
[align=left](f) The department shall develop and distribute directions and[/align]
[align=left]materials for course instruction, test administration, and recordkeeping.[/align]
[align=left]All test results shall be sent to the department, and the[/align]
[align=left]department shall maintain a record of the results.[/align]
[align=left](g) A person who wishes to obtain or renew a license to carry a[/align]
[align=left]concealed handgun must apply in person to a qualified handgun[/align]
[align=left]instructor to take the appropriate course in handgun proficiency,[/align]
[align=left]demonstrate handgun proficiency, and obtain a handgun proficiency[/align]
[align=left]certificate as described by Section 41 1.1 89.[/align]

[align=left](h) A license holder who wishes to modi a license to allow the[/align]
[align=left]license holder to carry a handgun of a different category than the[/align]
[align=left]license indicates must apply in person to a qualified handgun[/align]
[align=left]instructor to demonstrate the required knowledge and proficiency to[/align]
[align=left]obtain a handgun proficiency certificate in that category as described[/align]
[align=left]by Section 411.189.[/align]
[align=left](i) A certified firearms instructor of the department may monitor any[/align]
[align=left]class or training presented by a qualified handgun instructor. A qualified[/align]
[align=left]handgun instructor shall cooperate with the department in the[/align]
[align=left]department's efforts to monitor the presentation of training by the qualified[/align]
[align=left]handgun instructor. A qualified handgun instructor shall make[/align]
[align=left]available for inspection to the department any and all records maintained[/align]
[align=left]by a qualified handgun instructor under this subchapter. The[/align]
[align=left]qualified handgun instructor shall keep a record of all certificates of[/align]
[align=left]handgun proficiency issued by the qualified handgun instructor and[/align]
[align=left]other information required by department rule.[/align]

[align=left]GC
5411 .I 881. EXEMPTION FROM INSTRUCTION FOR CERTAIN[/align]
[align=left]PERSONS. (a) Notwithstanding any other provision of this[/align]
[align=left]subchapter, a person may not be required to complete the range[/align]
[align=left]instruction portion of a handgun proficiency course to obtain or renew[/align]
[align=left]a concealed handgun license issued under this subchapter if the[/align]
[align=left]person:[/align]
[align=left](1) is currently serving in or is honorably discharged from:[/align]
[align=left](A) the army, navy, air force, coast guard, or marine corps of[/align]
[align=left]the United States or an auxiliary service or reserve unit of one of those[/align]
[align=left]branches of the.armed forces; or[/align]
[align=left](B) the state military forces, as defined
by Section 431.001;[/align]
[align=left]and[/align]
[align=left](2) has, within the five years preceding the date of the person's[/align]
[align=left]application for an original or renewed license, as applicable,[/align]
[align=left]completed a course of training in handgun proficiency or familiarization[/align]
[align=left]as part of the person's service with the armed forces or state military[/align]
[align=left]forces.[/align]
[align=left](b) The director by rule shall adopt a procedure by which a license[/align]
[align=left]holder who is exempt under Subsection (a) from the range instruction[/align]
[align=left]portion of
the handgun proficiency requirement may submit a form[/align]
[align=left]demonstrating the license holdets qualification for an exemption under[/align]
[align=left]that subsection. The form must provide sufficient information to allow[/align]
[align=left]the department to verify whether the license holder qualifies for the[/align]
[align=left]exemption.[/align]

[align=left]GC
541 1 .I 882. EXEMPTION FROM HANDGUN PROFICIENCY[/align]
[align=left]CERTIFICATE REQUIREMENT FOR CERTAIN PERSONS. (a)[/align]
[align=left]Notwithstanding any other provision of this subchapter, a person may[/align]
[align=left]not be required to submit to the department a handgun proficiency[/align]
[align=left]certificate to obtain or renew a concealed handgun license issued[/align]
[align=left]under this subchapter
R[/align]
[align=left](1) the person is currently serving in this state as:[/align]
[align=left](A) a judge or justice of a federal court;[/align]

[align=left](B) an active judicial officer, as defined by Section 411.201,[/align]
[align=left]Government Code; or[/align]
[align=left](C) a district attorney, assistant district attorney, criminal district[/align]
[align=left]attorney, assistant criminal district attorney, county attorney, or assistant[/align]
[align=left]county attorney; and[/align]
[align=left](2) a handgun proficiency instructor approved by the Commission[/align]
[align=left]on Law Enforcement Officer Standards and Education for purposes of[/align]
[align=left]Section 1702.1675, Occupations Code, makes a sworn statement indicating[/align]
[align=left]that the person demonstrated proficiency to the instructor in the[/align]
[align=left]use of handguns during the 12-month period preceding the date of the[/align]
[align=left]person's application to the department and designating the types of[/align]
[align=left]handguns with which the person demonstrated proficiency.[/align]
[align=left](b) The director by rule shall adopt a procedure by which a person[/align]
[align=left]who is exempt under Subsection (a) from the handgun proficiency[/align]
[align=left]certificate requirement may submit a form demonstrating the person's[/align]
[align=left]qualification for an exemption under that subsection. The form must[/align]
[align=left]provide sufficient information to allow the department to verify whether[/align]
[align=left]the person qualifies for the exemption.[/align]
[align=left](c) A license issued under this section automatically expires on the[/align]
[align=left]six-month anniversary of the date the person's status under Subsection[/align]
[align=left](a) becomes inapplicable. A license that expires under this[/align]
subsection may be renewed under Section 41 1 .I 85.

jdv

imported post

Thanks RodBedner. I figured much... and signed upfor the class already (15 Nov), to include the range. Only makes sense to do both whether exempt or not.

Thanks for feedback and response. Much appreciated.

rodbender

imported post

Here's some good news for you.

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/ftp/forms/ls-16.pdf

[align=left]GC$411.1951.
WAIVER OR REDUCTION OF FEES FOR[/align]
[align=left]MEMBERS OR VETERANS OF UNITED STATES &MED FORCES.[/align]

[align=left](a) In this section, "veteran" means a person who:[/align]

[align=left](I)
has served in:[/align]
[align=left](A) the army, navy, air force, coast guard, or marine corps of[/align]
[align=left]the United States;[/align]
[align=left](B) the state military forces as defined by Section
431.001 ; or[/align]
[align=left](C) an auxiliary service of one of those branches of the armed[/align]
[align=left]forces; and[/align]
[align=left](2) has been honorably discharged from the branch of the service[/align]
[align=left]in which the person served.[/align]
[align=left](b) Notwithstanding any other provision of this subchapter, .the[/align]
[align=left]department shall waive any fee required for the issuance of an original,[/align]
[align=left]duplicate, modified, or renewed license under this subchapter if the[/align]
[align=left]applicant for the license is;[/align]

[align=left](1)
a member of the United States armed forces, including a[/align]
[align=left]member of the reserves, national guard, or state guard; or[/align]
[align=left](2) a veteran who, within
365 days preceding the date of the[/align]
[align=left]application, was honorably discharged from the branch of service in[/align]
[align=left]which the person served.[/align]
[align=left](c) Notwithstanding any other provision of this subchapter, the[/align]
[align=left]department shall reduce by 50 percent any fee required for the issuance[/align]
[align=left]of an original. duplicate, modified, or renewed license under this[/align]
[align=left]subchapter if the applicant for the license is a veteran who, more than[/align]

[align=left]365
days preceding the date of the application, was honorably[/align]
discharged from the branch of the service in which the person served.

jdv

imported post

Yeah, your right. I filled out the app online and the balance owed was "0". Got my class scheduled and like you said the instructorprovides/does all the other requirements for applications for the applying student.

Thanks for info.

jdv

imported post

Finished the training today, and move on to the qualify tomorrow, and then the 60+ day wait.

It's worth it though in the long run.