• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New Gun Issues

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

I've got a Rossi .357 with a 4 inch barrel. The problem is the trigger pull in double action. Its too stiff for the wife to pull. I don't have a problem and single action works fine for her.
I looking for reccomendations on what to do about the trigger pull. Can it be adjusted to better suit her or do I need to find something else.

holeinhead

imported post

Haha, I clicked on this thread thinking it was going to be about new gun issues, and something about Dino Rossi and a magnum, not new gun issues. Man I'm tired...

Bear 45/70

imported post

M1Gunr wrote:
I've got a Rossi .357 with a 4 inch barrel. The problem is the trigger pull in double action. Its too stiff for the wife to pull. I don't have a problem and single action works fine for her.
I looking for reccomendations on what to do about the trigger pull. Can it be adjusted to better suit her or do I need to find something else.
Depending on the model it will be an exact copy of a S&W and they are easy to trigger fix. A gunsmith can do it quick and fairly cheap. I had a buddy that was a whiz with S&W triggers, he did my wifes S&W 586 Distinguish Combat Magnum, unfortunately he died last year.

bluer1

imported post

I have all my triggers done by Bill Springfield. www.triggerwork.net He might do your 357, he's more of a rifle guy though, but you can email and ask him, turn around time is about 1 week all in all. Damn good price.

Bear 45/70

imported post

bluer1 wrote:
I have all my triggers done by Bill Springfield. http://www.triggerwork.net He might do your 357, he's more of a rifle guy though, but you can email and ask him, turn around time is about 1 week all in all. Damn good price.

Why on earth would you send a gun to Colorado for trigger work when there are at least two outstanding local guys. The shipping for a handgun is overnight and is gonna be at least $100 round trip. Way cheaper with local guys.

Here's the best guy in the state.

http://www.edlapourgunsmithing.com/

bluer1

imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
bluer1 wrote:
I have all my triggers done by Bill Springfield. http://www.triggerwork.net He might do your 357, he's more of a rifle guy though, but you can email and ask him, turn around time is about 1 week all in all. Damn good price.

Why on earth would you send a gun to Colorado for trigger work when there are at least two outstanding local guys. The shipping for a handgun is overnight and is gonna be at least $100 round trip. Way cheaper with local guys.

Well, because I own mostly HK and AR, and there are VERY few gunsmiths that work on HK specifically. Shipping back to you from him is included in the price, $35-55. Christ man, it was just a suggestion, calm down.

Bear 45/70

imported post

bluer1 wrote:
Bear 45/70 wrote:
bluer1 wrote:

Well, because I own mostly HK and AR, and there are VERY few gunsmiths that work on HK specifically. Shipping back to you from him is included in the price, $35-55. Christ man, it was just a suggestion, calm down.
Last handgun I shipped was $44 back to S&W and that was at least 5 years ago. How can anyone ship overnight air from the coast to Colorado for less than that?

bluer1

imported post

If you don't believe me, see for yourself. It might be different on handguns, but like I said, I've had many HKs and ARs done by him. I send him the cash with the equipment, it comes back 2.5 - 3Lb. pull, everyone's happy.

Bear 45/70

imported post

bluer1 wrote:
If you don't believe me, see for yourself. It might be different on handguns, but like I said, I've had many HKs and ARs done by him. I send him the cash with the equipment, it comes back 2.5 - 3Lb. pull, everyone's happy.
Yeah it sure is different on handguns. They have to go overnight air. Long guns can go ground slow as in mule train slow. Very big difference in price.

bluer1

imported post

You can check with him if you like, or I can if you're curious. I've never shipped my whole rifle, I break down the trigger pack/mech and send it to him. I've got a HK USP .40 tactical as a sidearm and that already has a match trigger, but if I get a handgun at some point in time that has a really sloppy trigger I'd probably send it to him anyway. I trust his work, and he's top dog in trigger work as far as the HK community goes, so I'd probably end up spending the money anyway. You know, personal preference.

Bear 45/70

imported post

bluer1 wrote:
You can check with him if you like, or I can if you're curious. I've never shipped my whole rifle, I break down the trigger pack/mech and send it to him. I've got a HK USP .40 tactical as a sidearm and that already has a match trigger, but if I get a handgun at some point in time that has a really sloppy trigger I'd probably send it to him anyway. I trust his work, and he's top dog in trigger work as far as the HK community goes, so I'd probably end up spending the money anyway. You know, personal preference.
You can't do that with a handgun.

bluer1

imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
bluer1 wrote:
I know that, but I was referring to the "shipping long guns" thing, and my personal experience. That's why I offered to check on the handgun price if you were curious.

Bear 45/70

imported post

bluer1 wrote:
Bear 45/70 wrote:
bluer1 wrote:
I know that, but I was referring to the "shipping long guns" thing, and my personal experience. That's why I offered to check on the handgun price if you were curious.
I have two local guys that handle any gunsmithing I need and one is known far and wide.

bluer1

imported post

If either are in Snohomish Co. and can handle an HK *FOR SURE* I'll take that info if you don't mind. I've got a HK91 that still needs it, I'm looking for 2.5lb clean break, no forward slop.

Oh, also barrel/trunnion pinning...I say again they HAVE to have HK experience, H-A-V-E...T-O...I don't want a $4000 screw up on my hands.

Bear 45/70

imported post

bluer1 wrote:
If either are in Snohomish Co. and can handle an HK *FOR SURE* I'll take that info if you don't mind. I've got a HK91 that still needs it, I'm looking for 2.5lb clean break, no forward slop.

Oh, also barrel/trunnion pinning...I say again they HAVE to have HK experience, H-A-V-E...T-O...I don't want a $4000 screw up on my hands.

I live on the west side of the Sound so one is in Bremerton. Look here:

He builds gun from scratch and does outstanding work on whatever he touches. Ed has done custom guns for WAC raffles. Why do you think someone has to have expereince with a specific weapons system to be able to work on it?

The other is in Shelton and does all my normalwork, shotgun, rifle or pistol.

bluer1

imported post

I need them to have experience, because roller locking systems are a completely different animal than gas operated semi-autos. I wouldn't mind with the trigger, but the barrel and trunnion pinning is something that requires hands on experience with that system.

Trigger Dr

imported post

At least give Ed a call. He is the type person that will study the problem for a bit and then give you an answer. Ed LaPour will not BS you, and if he feels the job is beyond his level (that would realy be difficult) he will tell you straight up and who to take it to.

Wheelgunner

imported post

One thing you should not do is buy a lighter spring for the weapon. Even those who smooth out the trigger of a revolver will not reduce the mainspring as this will reduce reliability. If your wife cannot pull the trigger of the weapon, she needs a different weapon, a simple smoothing of the double action will not make it an easy weapon for her.

As to Ed, you might get service eventually, though when I brought him a fitted barrel for a 29-2 and requested he swap it out, after three months he had not done the work. After a couple of phone calls I finally drove the 30 miles to pick up the weapon and did it myself in about 30 min. Have not used him since.

Bear 45/70

imported post

Wheelgunner wrote:
One thing you should not do is buy a lighter spring for the weapon. Even those who smooth out the trigger of a revolver will not reduce the mainspring as this will reduce reliability. If your wife cannot pull the trigger of the weapon, she needs a different weapon, a simple smoothing of the double action will not make it an easy weapon for her.

As to Ed, you might get service eventually, though when I brought him a fitted barrel for a 29-2 and requested he swap it out, after three months he had not done the work. After a couple of phone calls I finally drove the 30 miles to pick up the weapon and did it myself in about 30 min. Have not used him since.
Ed being behind is not because he is lazy or doesn't give a damn. It's because he is that busy. But I do have a gunsmith in Shelton who is a S&W guy. Owns, shoots and hunts with them. For S&W work Randy Brand is the guy, however during hunting season, don't bother, he is gone huntin' and won't be back until the season is over even if he gets his animal on opening day. Smart man.