Thread: OC Carcarry

Post imported post

Can I have my Pistol Loaded and on the center consol for open carry? Or does my Ammo & Gun need to be seperated?

Post imported post

The statutes say you can keep a loaded handgun specifically "within a storage compartment, map pocket, trunk or glove compartment of a means of transportation." (ARS 13-3102)

I imagine that a center console qualifies as a "storage compartment."

Post imported post

That is if its a closed Center Consol? I Imagine.

Thank you for the response

redstone

Post imported post

locked and loaded without a ccw either:

1. in plain sight

2. in a holster anywhere

3. hidden away non-holstered in a map pocket, center console (closed door), or glove box (closed door).

Basic concept of the legislation is to balance your 2A right with LE safety concerns. The idea being that a gun in a holster under the driver's seat is not an immediate threat (must be unholstered to shoot), but a gun just lying under the driver's seat provides a great threat to LE. Also, it is reasonable for LE to expect a gun to be in your center console box or your glove box, but not-for example-for you to be sitting on itin your crotch.

I am not trying to start a debate about LE safety concerns vs. our rights to 2A. I am just stating the legislative intent on why AZ gun laws in vehicles are somewhat convoluted.

Personally, I expect guns everywhere and anywhere inevery car I contact, regardless of whether there is one or not, since badguys tend not to follow laws. I personally believe that AZ should consider your car as an extention of your home and you should be allowed to cc anywhere in the car.

Post imported post

AZkopper wrote:
    I personally believe that AZ should consider your car as an extention of your home and you should be allowed to cc anywhere in the car.

I really Like this Idea.

Thank you for clarifying from a legal standpoint, I appreciate that.

Redstone

Post imported post

Another way of putting it is that in Arizona, a gun that is holstered and in a vehicle is considered "cased" as if it were in the box that the gun came in. You would have to remove it from the holster just as you would a case before use.

Post imported post

2. in a holster anywhere

As I understand it, a gun in a holster may be concealed anywhere in the vehicle, except on ones person, unless said person is a CCW holder.

I personally believe that AZ should consider your car as an extention of your home and you should be allowed to cc anywhere in the car.

I couldn't agree more. The vehicle carry law is so ridiculously complicated that not even cops and judges understand it. Hopefully Obama will appoint Nappy to some post in Washington and we'll finally be rid of her and can get this mess straightened out.

Post imported post

AZkopper wrote:
    locked and loaded without a ccw either:

1. in plain sight

2. in a holster anywhere

3. hidden away non-holstered in a map pocket, center console (closed door), or glove box (closed door).

Basic concept of the legislation is to balance your 2A right with LE safety concerns. The idea being that a gun in a holster under the driver's seat is not an immediate threat (must be unholstered to shoot), but a gun just lying under the driver's seat provides a great threat to LE. Also, it is reasonable for LE to expect a gun to be in your center console box or your glove box, but not-for example-for you to be sitting on it¬*in your crotch.

I am not trying to start a debate about LE safety concerns vs. our rights to 2A. I am just stating the legislative intent on why AZ gun laws in vehicles are somewhat convoluted.

Personally, I expect guns everywhere and anywhere in¬*every car I contact, regardless of whether there is one or not, since badguys tend not to follow laws. I personally believe that AZ should consider your car as an extention of your home and you should be allowed to cc anywhere in the car.

¬*

¬*
    Yep, the nappy one vetoed that last session- plus a few other really good laws. If Obama gives her a post on his new administration, THAT will be change I can believe in. Secretary of State Jan Brewer is a Republican but does anyone know what her record is regarding 2A issues?

Post imported post

It's easy enuff to just get an AZCWP 'n not worry about it. Glove box, or 'in' the center console are not a big deal. I've OC'd many years in my vehiclesbefore I got a CWP w/o any hassles whatever.

I carry cross draw (forward left), which doesn't interfere with... or is concealed by the seat belt. Actually... the seat belt concealment part wasn't the reason... the pistol's positionwas the reason. With cross draw... the holster has some room (bucket seat or bench) 'n I can get to it easilyif I have to. Loaded long guns are not a concern either... altho I don't leave 'em in the vehicle unattended. That's just common sense.

Any holster I have for concealed requires no 'retention' feature whatever, nor is any retention feature required in AZ. The simplest is a piece of rawhide (Drugstore variety shoelaces are good sources of this) soaked in gun oil to get 'em supple. Drill two holes in the forward end of the leather holster... make a loop 'n insert the loop into the bottom hole 'nout the top, so the loop is to the outside of the holster. Tie off the bottom 'bitter' ends, allowing for some slack. This is used to 'cinch down' the loop when placed over the hammer. 'Course... if there's no exposed hammer... this won't work. The loop is easily slipped off the hammer with yer thumb.

As for CC holsters... Most ofmine are open bottomed 'buckets' or the clamshell type (Shoulder holster). "like most... I've got a box full of holsters that didn't work... or work only if yer not drivin'. Call it ergonomics. Look at most any of those old photo's of 19th century cowboys... soldiers, lawmen 'n you'll notice they're carryin' cross draw. (Other than the posed studio photo's... where they're not wearin' their own rigs anyway.) Hollywood's had it wrong for years.Cross draw allows you to draw the weapon w/o havin' the butt in yer armpit before you clear leather or whatever it's made of.

An unsecured gun in yer vehicle is subject to gravity. Just layin' a pistol next to you invites that thing goin' somewhere you don't want it to go when turning, braking or accelerating. Then ya got another problem.

Most noobs are timid about OC... No reason for that here.