• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Legitimate Concern?

Mustang T.J

imported post

I have been tempted to OC at a couple of malls in the Tri-City Area. It seems I always end upleaving the gun in the trunk though.

I would hate to have the mall cleared out on a "man with gun" call, as history does not paint a pretty picture of malls and firearms. Unfortunately some fool cast a dark shadow over many a gun owner.

What are your thoughts?

Respectfully, -T.J.

JeffSayers

Do you really wanna go there with me?, Michigan, U
imported post

I've always hated going ot the mall because of the crowds. Sounds like a perfect solution!

Seriously, if they clear out, that's their problem. Just make sure they do not have a sign posted anywhere that prohibits firearms. I hear some places are kind of sneaky about where they post.

warlockmatized

imported post

JeffSayers wrote:
SNIP: Just make sure they do not have a sign posted anywhere that prohibits firearms. I hear some places are kind of sneaky about where they post.
Agreed. They may have a sign at one entrance and not another. Check it out thoroughly. CYA...cover your @$$. You might even be able to inquire here about a specific mall.

ghostrider

imported post

Mustang T.J wrote:
I have been tempted to OC at a couple of malls in the Tri-City Area. It seems I always end upleaving the gun in the trunk though.

I would hate to have the mall cleared out on a "man with gun" call, as history does not paint a pretty picture of malls and firearms. Unfortunately some fool cast a dark shadow over many a gun owner.

What are your thoughts?

Respectfully, -T.J.
IF you haven't yet read the "MICHIGAN OPEN CARRY INFO" thread, then do so. You should also read my "WASH, RINSE, REPEAT" thread if you have not yet done so. Know the law, know your rights, and know how to properly assert them without escalating any potential situation.

Now, if a particular mall has a sign display that prohibits firearms, it does not have weight of law, other than that you could possibly loose any rights under the Self Defense Act (I say possibly because it hasn't been tested. When they start issuing citations for trespass, without having to ask people to leave, then it'll be a lock). I think that Ron has a good suggestion to check as many entrances as is prudent, to ensure that you aren't inadvertently violating their posted regulations. If you do see a sign prohibiting firearms, then your choices are to either ignore the sign and carry anyway, disarm and enter the premise, or just go somewhere else. How you proceed is a choice only you can make, as it could possibly affect you in different ways.

As for fearing scaring the uninitiated... If that is a concern or yours, then determine ahead of time how you would deal with any potential problems that would occur. Like it or not, guns are still somewhat foreign to some people, and there are also some people who would like to abolish any non-LEO/Military gun ownership, as well as those who would work to restrict the rights of us to OC, and use harassment to that end. It's why I tell people to understand beforehand that OC is more than just a right. One should not just assume that one will not have probelms just because it's legal, and in turn be prepared for when any problems would occur.

If your worried about someone having a negative reaction to your firearm inside a mall, then you should also understand that it could just as easilly happen outside of a mall. It has nothing to do with the locality, or enclosed structure, it has to do with the social engineering that has led people to believe that they should fear any non-government agent who is seen with a gun.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Mustang T.J wrote:

What are your thoughts?

Respectfully, -T.J.
The most likely outcome is that the security guards will ask you to leave or call the cops to ask you to leave. It's the authority you have to watch out for not the general public. Most people don't notice or care. But oh not so the security or the LEO's they hate it......for the most part that is.

Mustang T.J

imported post

I have not yet noticed any signs In SaginawsFashion Square Mall, but i have not been looking all that hard in all honesty. I think I may go out that way and do some "sign scouting" within the coming weeks.

Yes, I have read the "wash rinse and repeat" system several times, as I wanted to paste it in my memory.

I posted this knowing thare arepeople who OC only when "proper", In other words some say there is a time and a place.

On the other hand see no problem in open carrying my firearm anywhere anyplace, law permittingof course.

I thought I might get everyonesopinions and experiences.

I was speaking with a friend of mine about the whole mall idea (he is a concealed only carrier). He had mentioned that the"mall shootings" that had taken place a couple years backwere still some what fresh in the eyes of the people.He thought Ishould avoid the OC practice in public malls in order to avoid any problems for my self.

-T.J.

"

Mustang T.J

imported post

JeffSayers wrote:
I've always hated going ot the mall because of the crowds. Sounds like a perfect solution!

Seriously, if they clear out, that's their problem. Just make sure they do not have a sign posted anywhere that prohibits firearms. I hear some places are kind of sneaky about where they post.

I guess I never thought of it that quite like that. I like your way of thinking actually. "If they clear out its there problem" makes sense

Michigander

imported post

People OC at malls around here. It's not a big deal. If you are OCing in a completely legal fashion, and someone lacks an understanding of guns and your right to carry them, that's their problem, not yours.

warlockmatized

imported post

Michigander wrote:
People OC at malls around here. It's not a big deal. If you are OCing in a completely legal fashion, and someone lacks an understanding of guns and your right to carry them, that's their problem, not yours.
YAHTZEE!

Michigander

imported post

You should present yourself in the best manner possible. Showing up with a 3 day shave and a smelly cammo shirt while OCing and being un sociable would be pretty terrible. So you should look decent and be as friendly as possible. So in that respect, worry about the other guy. But misunderstanding a gun safely secured to your hip, that's usually none of your concern if no one asks you about it.

SQLtables

imported post

Michigander wrote:
You should present yourself in the best manner possible. Showing up with a 3 day shave and a smelly cammo shirt while OCing and being un sociable would be pretty terrible. So you should look decent and be as friendly as possible. So in that respect, worry about the other guy. But misunderstanding a gun safely secured to your hip, that's usually none of your concern if no one asks you about it.
I disagree, unless of course you are trying to soften the fact that you are OCing. I don't really dress to impress people when I OC. It isn't necessary unless you are trying to hide the fact that you are only a normal dude OCing.

Make sure you are comfortable. I haven't seen any signs at Fashion Square, but I also haven't OCed there. I avoid that place after an incident I had with a couple "gangs" in Champs.

SQLtables

imported post

Mustang T.J wrote:
I have not yet noticed any signs In SaginawsFashion Square Mall, but i have not been looking all that hard in all honesty. I think I may go out that way and do some "sign scouting" within the coming weeks.

Yes, I have read the "wash rinse and repeat" system several times, as I wanted to paste it in my memory.

I posted this knowing thare arepeople who OC only when "proper", In other words some say there is a time and a place.

On the other hand see no problem in open carrying my firearm anywhere anyplace, law permittingof course.

I thought I might get everyonesopinions and experiences.

I was speaking with a friend of mine about the whole mall idea (he is a concealed only carrier). He had mentioned that the"mall shootings" that had taken place a couple years backwere still some what fresh in the eyes of the people.He thought Ishould avoid the OC practice in public malls in order to avoid any problems for my self.

-T.J.

"
I mean absolutely no offense to your friend, but I've found that CPL friends aren't always the best source of advice for OC topics. :?

ETA: Your friend may be right that you would be avoiding problems for yourself, but as Venator said, it's likely that nothing would happen aside from you being asked to leave.

Michigander

imported post

SQLtables wrote:
I disagree, unless of course you are trying to soften the fact that you are OCing. I don't really dress to impress people when I OC. It isn't necessary unless you are trying to hide the fact that you are only a normal dude OCing.

Make sure you are comfortable. I haven't seen any signs at Fashion Square, but I also haven't OCed there. I avoid that place after an incident I had with a couple "gangs" in Champs.
Don't get me wrong, I don't dress to impress either. I wear whatever I have on for work, and some times it looks grimy. I'm just saying if you aren't a mean, smelly slob, or perhaps dressed like a total militant lunatic, you are doing well enough to take care of worrying about other people you might see.