• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Springfield XD 45 + SWC bullets = no good

ClevelandCarry

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Tarzan,

I'm not sure if you're serious in your posts or not.

We're not talking SWC's for conceal carry...we're talking SWC's for practice and target shooting.

I carry hollow points or frangibles in my conceal carry guns.

When people spend a lot of money on a firearm for accuracy, they tend to want to shoot the most accurate load possible...and shoot a lot of it.

In competition, that extra tight group will earn you more points...1/2" can move your round into a lesser scoring ring.

I handload 185 and 200 grain SWC's for less than a dime a round.

That means I shoot a LOT, so when it comes time to shoot 230 grains, I shoot it VERY well.

It also means that should I need to use my CCW, I'll have more confidence in my shooting and accuracy as result of shooting tens of thousands of rounds of ammo of ALL sizes and shapes for the last two and a half decades.

I DO reload, and have reloaded tens and tens of thousands of rounds of 38/357, 41 mag, 44 mag, 9mm, 45 ACP in the last 26 years...since I was about 20 years old.

I have loaded RN's, SWC's, WC's, hollow points, cowboy loads, etc., and I always keep an open mind to what ballastic experts have to say about bullet choice.

I don't handload a bullet because other people do it, I handload various bullets to find out the best accuracy, recoil, and simply because its fun.

I also handload a tremendous number of 230 grain, but I'm one of those people who believe in having choices, and not having other people dictate what is the only ammo I should shoot.

Firearms manufacturers are designing semi-autos with a larger throat just so they feed various types of bullets.

It's pretty obvious you're new to shooting if this is only the second forum you've ever seen SWC's discussed...and it's obvious you're new to shooting if you think handloaded 357 rounds didn't work because they are made "cheap."

Instead, I'll tell you I've loaded tens of thousands of 38/357 with no problems, as revolver cartridges are pretty idiot proof.

Maybe the fact that you bought the bullets "cheap" is an indication of why you had problems.

Once again, do a Google search on .45acp swc and see how prevalent it is.

Not sure what your analogy on the dune buggy truck thing was, as many pistols are designed by the manufacturer from the ground up to shoot SWC's...your truck wasn't.

Try taking up handloading before you enter into a discussion on handloading, by the way. :)

tarzan1888

imported post

ClevelandCarry wrote:
Tarzan,

I'm not sure if you're serious in your posts or not.

We're not talking SWC's for conceal carry...we're talking SWC's for practice and target shooting.

I carry hollow points or frangibles in my conceal carry guns.

When people spend a lot of money on a firearm for accuracy, they tend to want to shoot the most accurate load possible...and shoot a lot of it.

In competition, that extra tight group will earn you more points...1/2" can move your round into a lesser scoring ring.

I handload 185 and 200 grain SWC's for less than a dime a round.

That means I shoot a LOT, so when it comes time to shoot 230 grains, I shoot it VERY well.

It also means that should I need to use my CCW, I'll have more confidence in my shooting and accuracy as result of shooting tens of thousands of rounds of ammo of ALL sizes and shapes for the last two and a half decades.

I DO reload, and have reloaded tens and tens of thousands of rounds of 38/357, 41 mag, 44 mag, 9mm, 45 ACP in the last 26 years...since I was about 20 years old.

I have loaded RN's, SWC's, WC's, hollow points, cowboy loads, etc., and I always keep an open mind to what ballastic experts have to say about bullet choice.

I don't handload a bullet because other people do it, I handload various bullets to find out the best accuracy, recoil, and simply because its fun.

I also handload a tremendous number of 230 grain, but I'm one of those people who believe in having choices, and not having other people dictate what is the only ammo I should shoot.

Firearms manufacturers are designing semi-autos with a larger throat just so they feed various types of bullets.

It's pretty obvious you're new to shooting if this is only the second forum you've ever seen SWC's discussed...and it's obvious you're new to shooting if you think handloaded 357 rounds didn't work because they are made "cheap."

Instead, I'll tell you I've loaded tens of thousands of 38/357 with no problems, as revolver cartridges are pretty idiot proof.

Maybe the fact that you bought the bullets "cheap" is an indication of why you had problems.

Once again, do a Google search on .45acp swc and see how prevalent it is.

Not sure what your analogy on the dune buggy truck thing was, as many pistols are designed by the manufacturer from the ground up to shoot SWC's...your truck wasn't.

Try taking up handloading before you enter into a discussion on handloading, by the way. :)

I was only semi serious.

I have friends who hand load and love it, but I don't.

In another forum I belong to we got on a discussion on this, and I know it is kind of like me talking about making things out of wood (which I like to do) and someone not getting it as he would rather buy his end table at Walmart.

For me and re-loading, it is just not worth the time, money and effort, but building a table is. That is what I get for being the son of a carpenter.

I used to shoot a lot, but I liked to shoot things and practice against myself and I have never even thought about getting into competitive shooting. My concern with groups was to keep them all between his eyes and not inside numbered circles.

I must also admit that having, not all that long ago, gritted my teeth through 500 rounds of SWC, that just didn't work in a gun I used to own, left a bad taste in my mouth about SWC.

I bought those SWC because they were cheap and was glad to be rid of them.

I really meant it when I thanked you because at that point I got it more than I did at first, and now much thanks because I really do understand.

I know everybody likes a little....but nobody likes a smart....;)and I was being a little smart....

I still have no desire to re-load or shoot SWC, but I do understand why you do, and I thank you for that information.

I must also say that I admire your patience.

Tarzan

Springfield45

imported post

tarzan1888 wrote:

tarzan1888 wrote:
This is the second forum where I have seen guys talking about SWC or WC in a .45.

I can see no reason for this.

I see no advantage to it.

Tarzan

ClevelandCarry wrote:
They tend to be more accurate.

This may or may not be true, but at combat distinces.....what is the practical difference in a 2 inch or a 2 1/2 in group?

ClevelandCarry wrote:

You have a far greater choice in bullet weights, powders, etc.

This may be true if you re-load......but I see no need to shoot anything but 230 grain anyway.

ClevelandCarry wrote:

They are more economical to shoot.

I bought a bunch of re-loaded cheap SWC for a .357 that I used to have, and they didn't work worth a darn. Cheap didn't make up for the frustration of a cartridge with problems.

ClevelandCarry wrote:

Many of the modern .45's, such as mine, are designed to shoot them.

So? Just because you can....doesn't mean that you should.

ClevelandCarry wrote:

If you do a google search of .45 acp swc, you'll see where it's covered on thousands of forums.

I could take a torch to my truck and make it into a dune buggy....but again just because you can do something or just because a lot of people do something....doesn't a reason to to it make.

I do appreciate your answer.........BUT

I just don't see it.

Tarzan
Tarzan,

You shoot JHP's or FMJ's for everything ? Do you reload ? I too choose to shoot
LSWC's for practice @ paper and steel plates, for many of the reasons Cleveland carry mentioned. Also, many indoor ranges prohibit the use of any kind of Jacketed bullet.

~~Springfield

tarzan1888

imported post

Springfield45 wrote:
Tarzan,

You shoot JHP's or FMJ's for everything ? Do you reload ? I too choose to shoot
LSWC's for practice @ paper and steel plates, for many of the reasons Cleveland carry mentioned. Also, many indoor ranges prohibit the use of any kind of Jacketed bullet.

~~Springfield

I sold all of my guns, but when I did shoot I did shoot mostly JHP's and FMJ's for everything.

I shot a lot of LRN in .38 Special and that one ill fated trip to Cabela's where I bought all those bad SWC in .38 Special.

I went back and looked at the other forum I belong to and there, the talk was strictly about using SWC for defense, and I must say that I was prejudiced by the other forum and didn't even think about the target aspect.

If you will read the post immediately above yours, it will probably answer all of your questions.

Again I am sorry I was being sort of an ......about the whole thing.

Tarzan

ClevelandCarry

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I was only semi serious.

I have friends who hand load and love it, but I don't.

In another forum I belong to we got on a discussion on this, and I know it is kind of like me talking about making things out of wood (which I like to do) and someone not getting it as he would rather buy his end table at Walmart.

For me and re-loading, it is just not worth the time, money and effort, but building a table is. That is what I get for being the son of a carpenter.

I used to shoot a lot, but I liked to shoot things and practice against myself and I have never even thought about getting into competitive shooting. My concern with groups was to keep them all between his eyes and not inside numbered circles.

I must also admit that having, not all that long ago, gritted my teeth through 500 rounds of SWC, that just didn't work in a gun I used to own, left a bad taste in my mouth about SWC.

I bought those SWC because they were cheap and was glad to be rid of them.

I really meant it when I thanked you because at that point I got it more than I did at first, and now much thanks because I really do understand.

I know everybody likes a little....but nobody likes a smart....;)and I was being a little smart....

I still have no desire to re-load or shoot SWC, but I do understand why you do, and I thank you for that information.

I must also say that I admire your patience.

Tarzan

Actually, handloading is often times as much fun or funner than shooting for myself.

Since I handload on a couple of progressive loaders, I'm able to crank out a thousand rounds in well less than an afternoon.

Kinda' funny sometimes, as I know guys who get excited when they but a 100 pack of ammo, and I'm dumping my loaded rounds in a huge popcorn bowl until I'm ready to bag them.

I don't shoot competitive either, but with all things being equal, a more accurate round will place your shot closer to where you're aiming, whether it be a defensive situation, or shooting at paper plates.

SWC's in a revolver shouldn't have been the problem as there's no ramp, it sounds more like a case sizing issue or crimping issue instead, and 500 rounds of the same guy loading RN's would probably have done the same thing.

Just as building a table makes you more intimate with the finished product, handloading my ammo for all of my pistols and my M1 carbine makes me feel "closer to them.

You might try buying a basic handloader sometime and start out loading for revolver...makes shooting a whole new world!

tarzan1888

imported post

Thanks Clevland.

The problem was not really with the SWC but the primer, which would bulge and become tight against the frame.

I don't know enough about loading to know why.

If it was pressure you would think it would happen with the .357's not the .38's.

The headspace tolerance was tight, but it still should not have happened.

Tarzan