Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Hicory NC for work

  1. #1
    Regular Member edstephan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Armstrong County, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    62

    Post imported post


    Hello All

    I’ll be coming down to Hickory NC for work this week from Pa. How is the OC on North Carolina?
    I plan to OC on my off work hours. I can’t carry on company time due to the no firearms policy.
    What are the areas you can’t carry in? “Where alcohol is sold and consumed” Does this include restaurants that serve alcohol? I will not be consuming any alcohol.
    I know Pennsylvania has Firearm Reciprocity with North Carolina
    Are there any other restrictions for OC?

    This disturbs me though.
    “By common law in North Carolina, it is unlawful for a person to arm himself/herself with any unusual and dangerous weapon, for the purpose of terrifying others, and go about on public highways in a manner to cause terror to others. The N.C. Supreme Court states that any gun is an unusual and dangerous weapon for purposes of this offense. Therefore, persons are cautioned as to the areas they frequent with firearms.”
    I read this at http://www.jus.state.nc.us/NCJA/ncfirearmslaws.pdf
    If you get a chance visit our Forum at http://www.pafoa.org/forum/
    Ed


    An Oath Keeper and OC Activist, 1 of the 3%, Ed Stephan

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Greensboro, ,
    Posts
    235

    Post imported post

    edstephan wrote:
    Hello All

    I’ll be coming down to Hickory NC for work this week from Pa. How is the OC on North Carolina?
    I plan to OC on my off work hours. I can’t carry on company time due to the no firearms policy.
    What are the areas you can’t carry in? “Where alcohol is sold and consumed” Does this include restaurants that serve alcohol? I will not be consuming any alcohol.
    I know Pennsylvania has Firearm Reciprocity with North Carolina
    Are there any other restrictions for OC?

    This disturbs me though.
    “By common law in North Carolina, it is unlawful for a person to arm himself/herself with any unusual and dangerous weapon, for the purpose of terrifying others, and go about on public highways in a manner to cause terror to others. The N.C. Supreme Court states that any gun is an unusual and dangerous weapon for purposes of this offense. Therefore, persons are cautioned as to the areas they frequent with firearms.”
    I read this at http://www.jus.state.nc.us/NCJA/ncfirearmslaws.pdf
    If you get a chance visit our Forum at http://www.pafoa.org/forum/
    Ed

    First, let me tell you that the pdf you cited is largely the AG's opinion, especially the part you quoted.

    As for Going Armed to the Terror of the Public

    Yes, a firearm is an "unusual and dangerous weapon."

    NO, simply carrying a gun in a holster is not sufficient to be convicted of this.

    Here is the list of restrictions (both OC and CC) (and yes, a restaurant that sells beer is off-limits for carrying, OC or CC)


    COMPLETE BAN ON CARRYING A FIREARM

    ANY EDUCATION PROPERTY – A CLASS 1 FELONY
    This includes: school buildings, school bus, campus, grounds, recreational area, athletic fields or any property owned, used, or operated by any board of education of school board of trustees… This includes public and private schools, but NOT Home Schools (NC GS 14‑269.2.)
    Assemblies and establishments where alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed (NC GS 14‑269.3)
    State Capitol Building (and Grounds) NC GS 14‑269.4.
    Executive Mansion (and Grounds) NC GS 14‑269.4.
    Western Residence of the Governor (and Grounds) NC GS 14‑269.4.
    Any of the General Court of Justice (If a court is housed in a building containing nonpublic uses in addition to the court, then this prohibition shall apply only to that portion of the building used for court purposes while the building is being used for court purposes) NC GS 14‑269.4.
    Parades NC GS 14‑277.2.
    Funeral processions NC GS 14‑277.2.
    Picket lines NC GS 14‑277.2.
    Demonstration on private health care facility or on any public place owned or under the control of any state or local government NC GS 14‑277.2.
    During any Declared State of Emergency or in the immediate vicinity of a riot (off of one’s own premises. NC GS 14-288.7

    Concealed ban: (violation is a Class 2 Misdemeanor)


    All of the above, plus:
    Law enforcement or correctional facilities, NC GS 14‑415.11(c)
    Buildings housing only State or federal offices, NC GS 14‑415.11(c)
    Offices of the State or federal government that is not located in a building exclusively occupied by the State or federal government, NC GS 14‑415.11(c)
    Financial institutions NC GS 14‑415.11(c)
    Any other premises where notice that carrying a concealed handgun is prohibited by the posting of a conspicuous notice or statement by the person in legal possession or control of the premises (except state‑owned rest areas or state‑owned rest stops along the highways) NC GS 14‑415.11(c)
    While consuming or under the influence of alcohol (at any level) or controlled substance unless lawfully obtained and taken as prescribed NC GS 14‑415.11(c)
    Without concealed carry permit and a government issued photo ID in their possession (this is a infraction for the first offense, resulting in a fine. In lieu of a fine, permitee may surrender his permit) NC GS 14‑415.11.






  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    raeford, North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    100

    Post imported post

    RayBurton72 wrote:
    edstephan wrote:
    Hello All

    I’ll be coming down to Hickory NC for work this week from Pa. How is the OC on North Carolina?
    I plan to OC on my off work hours. I can’t carry on company time due to the no firearms policy.
    What are the areas you can’t carry in? “Where alcohol is sold and consumed” Does this include restaurants that serve alcohol? I will not be consuming any alcohol.
    I know Pennsylvania has Firearm Reciprocity with North Carolina
    Are there any other restrictions for OC?

    This disturbs me though.
    “By common law in North Carolina, it is unlawful for a person to arm himself/herself with any unusual and dangerous weapon, for the purpose of terrifying others, and go about on public highways in a manner to cause terror to others. The N.C. Supreme Court states that any gun is an unusual and dangerous weapon for purposes of this offense. Therefore, persons are cautioned as to the areas they frequent with firearms.”
    I read this at http://www.jus.state.nc.us/NCJA/ncfirearmslaws.pdf
    If you get a chance visit our Forum at http://www.pafoa.org/forum/
    Ed

    First, let me tell you that the pdf you cited is largely the AG's opinion, especially the part you quoted.

    As for Going Armed to the Terror of the Public

    Yes, a firearm is an "unusual and dangerous weapon."

    NO, simply carrying a gun in a holster is not sufficient to be convicted of this.

    Here is the list of restrictions (both OC and CC) (and yes, a restaurant that sells beer is off-limits for carrying, OC or CC)


    COMPLETE BAN ON CARRYING A FIREARM

    ANY EDUCATION PROPERTY – A CLASS 1 FELONY
    This includes: school buildings, school bus, campus, grounds, recreational area, athletic fields or any property owned, used, or operated by any board of education of school board of trustees… This includes public and private schools, but NOT Home Schools (NC GS 14‑269.2.)
    Assemblies and establishments where alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed (NC GS 14‑269.3)
    State Capitol Building (and Grounds) NC GS 14‑269.4.
    Executive Mansion (and Grounds) NC GS 14‑269.4.
    Western Residence of the Governor (and Grounds) NC GS 14‑269.4.
    Any of the General Court of Justice (If a court is housed in a building containing nonpublic uses in addition to the court, then this prohibition shall apply only to that portion of the building used for court purposes while the building is being used for court purposes) NC GS 14‑269.4.
    Parades NC GS 14‑277.2.
    Funeral processions NC GS 14‑277.2.
    Picket lines NC GS 14‑277.2.
    Demonstration on private health care facility or on any public place owned or under the control of any state or local government NC GS 14‑277.2.
    During any Declared State of Emergency or in the immediate vicinity of a riot (off of one’s own premises. NC GS 14-288.7

    Concealed ban: (violation is a Class 2 Misdemeanor)


    All of the above, plus:
    Law enforcement or correctional facilities, NC GS 14‑415.11(c)
    Buildings housing only State or federal offices, NC GS 14‑415.11(c)
    Offices of the State or federal government that is not located in a building exclusively occupied by the State or federal government, NC GS 14‑415.11(c)
    Financial institutions NC GS 14‑415.11(c)
    Any other premises where notice that carrying a concealed handgun is prohibited by the posting of a conspicuous notice or statement by the person in legal possession or control of the premises (except state‑owned rest areas or state‑owned rest stops along the highways) NC GS 14‑415.11(c)
    While consuming or under the influence of alcohol (at any level) or controlled substance unless lawfully obtained and taken as prescribed NC GS 14‑415.11(c)
    Without concealed carry permit and a government issued photo ID in their possession (this is a infraction for the first offense, resulting in a fine. In lieu of a fine, permitee may surrender his permit) NC GS 14‑415.11.




    what willbe concider a Concealed ban??

  4. #4
    Regular Member edstephan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Armstrong County, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    62

    Post imported post

    So far I have had no issues OC in Conover or Hickory.
    There are only a few places that have no firearms signs.


    Ed

    An Oath Keeper and OC Activist, 1 of the 3%, Ed Stephan

  5. #5
    Regular Member edstephan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Armstrong County, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    62

    Post imported post

    No incidents OC. Looks like I'll be visiting NC 1 week a month for the nextseveral months.

    Ed
    An Oath Keeper and OC Activist, 1 of the 3%, Ed Stephan

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Greensboro, ,
    Posts
    235

    Post imported post

    ghoststan wrote:
    RayBurton72 wrote:
    edstephan wrote:
    Hello All

    I’ll be coming down to Hickory NC for work this week from Pa. How is the OC on North Carolina?
    I plan to OC on my off work hours. I can’t carry on company time due to the no firearms policy.
    What are the areas you can’t carry in? “Where alcohol is sold and consumed” Does this include restaurants that serve alcohol? I will not be consuming any alcohol.
    I know Pennsylvania has Firearm Reciprocity with North Carolina
    Are there any other restrictions for OC?

    This disturbs me though.
    “By common law in North Carolina, it is unlawful for a person to arm himself/herself with any unusual and dangerous weapon, for the purpose of terrifying others, and go about on public highways in a manner to cause terror to others. The N.C. Supreme Court states that any gun is an unusual and dangerous weapon for purposes of this offense. Therefore, persons are cautioned as to the areas they frequent with firearms.”
    I read this at http://www.jus.state.nc.us/NCJA/ncfirearmslaws.pdf
    If you get a chance visit our Forum at http://www.pafoa.org/forum/
    Ed

    First, let me tell you that the pdf you cited is largely the AG's opinion, especially the part you quoted.

    As for Going Armed to the Terror of the Public

    Yes, a firearm is an "unusual and dangerous weapon."

    NO, simply carrying a gun in a holster is not sufficient to be convicted of this.

    Here is the list of restrictions (both OC and CC) (and yes, a restaurant that sells beer is off-limits for carrying, OC or CC)


    COMPLETE BAN ON CARRYING A FIREARM

    ANY EDUCATION PROPERTY – A CLASS 1 FELONY
    This includes: school buildings, school bus, campus, grounds, recreational area, athletic fields or any property owned, used, or operated by any board of education of school board of trustees… This includes public and private schools, but NOT Home Schools (NC GS 14‑269.2.)
    Assemblies and establishments where alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed (NC GS 14‑269.3)
    State Capitol Building (and Grounds) NC GS 14‑269.4.
    Executive Mansion (and Grounds) NC GS 14‑269.4.
    Western Residence of the Governor (and Grounds) NC GS 14‑269.4.
    Any of the General Court of Justice (If a court is housed in a building containing nonpublic uses in addition to the court, then this prohibition shall apply only to that portion of the building used for court purposes while the building is being used for court purposes) NC GS 14‑269.4.
    Parades NC GS 14‑277.2.
    Funeral processions NC GS 14‑277.2.
    Picket lines NC GS 14‑277.2.
    Demonstration on private health care facility or on any public place owned or under the control of any state or local government NC GS 14‑277.2.
    During any Declared State of Emergency or in the immediate vicinity of a riot (off of one’s own premises. NC GS 14-288.7

    Concealed ban: (violation is a Class 2 Misdemeanor)


    All of the above, plus:
    Law enforcement or correctional facilities, NC GS 14‑415.11(c)
    Buildings housing only State or federal offices, NC GS 14‑415.11(c)
    Offices of the State or federal government that is not located in a building exclusively occupied by the State or federal government, NC GS 14‑415.11(c)
    Financial institutions NC GS 14‑415.11(c)
    Any other premises where notice that carrying a concealed handgun is prohibited by the posting of a conspicuous notice or statement by the person in legal possession or control of the premises (except state‑owned rest areas or state‑owned rest stops along the highways) NC GS 14‑415.11(c)
    While consuming or under the influence of alcohol (at any level) or controlled substance unless lawfully obtained and taken as prescribed NC GS 14‑415.11(c)
    Without concealed carry permit and a government issued photo ID in their possession (this is a infraction for the first offense, resulting in a fine. In lieu of a fine, permitee may surrender his permit) NC GS 14‑415.11.




    what willbe concider a Concealed ban??
    Concealed ban means that it is illegal to carry a concealed handgun on those premises even though one might have a permit

  7. #7
    Regular Member edstephan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Armstrong County, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    62

    Post imported post

    My OC log for the week of 23 March 2009



    Monday morning left for Hickory NC. OC’ing my S&W 659 Stopped at Sheetz in New Stanton for fuel and breakfast (No issues), back on the road and the next stop was Sutton WVa. For fuel and lunch at Wendy’s (No Issues) back on the road the next stop was Wytheville Va. For a snack, couple cartons of cigarettes and an unsweetened iced tea (No Issues) on to Hickory NC. Arrived at Holiday Inn express and checked in. Woman at the counter asked if I was one of those OC guys and I said, Yep. (No Issues) Went to dinner at Old German Schnitzel Haus. After dinner went to Walmart to get munchies for the week and fixens for my iced tea.



    Tuesday, I can’t carry on company time so no OC to the hospital. After work went to the 1859 Café for dinner and stopped at several pawn shops to see what they had. Found several (6) 1921 Morgan Dollars for $10.50 each which I promptly purchased as up here they are going for $18.00 to $20.00 each. Back to the hotel to do paperwork and get some sleep.



    Wednesday, Excellent day at work, very productive. After work stopped at several gun shops to see what they had in the way of primers and ammo. There are none to be found in a twenty mile area. Back to the hotel after dinner at Kobe Japanese restaurant. Yummmmmmm kobe beef. Had to lock sidearm in truck due to Kobe serving alcohol. (No Issues)



    Thursday, Worked from 8:00am till 3:30pm and headed home. 1st stop again in Wytheville Va. For fuel and dinner and another 2 cartons of cigarettes as they are $30.00 cheaper then here. VA state patrolman was standing behind me at check out and all he did was nod and smile at me. I told him to be safe. Next stop was Sutton WVa for fuel, bathroom beak and another unsweetened iced tea. As I pulled on to the entrance ramp I started to feel a vibration got a few miles up and the vibration was getting worse and I heard a clunk from the front wheel so I pulled over which is a good thing I did. I was going down the shoulder of the freeway about 20 mph when I hear a pop and the front end of the trucked dropped on the drivers side. The studs sheared off the front hub. I called my wife to tell her I broke down and just as I got off the phone the WVa state courtesy patrol truck pulls up. The lady walks up and asks if she could help or call a tow truck for me which she did. While waiting for the tow truck we sat in her truck and talked about farming, (Her and her husband owns a beef farm), Open Carrying, hunting (she and her husband both hunt), Shooting, etc. Tow truck comes and hooks up my truck and gives me a ride to Day’s Hotel and Convention Center off the Sutton Exit and drops me off and tells me to call in the morning. The sign on the door said “Outdoorsmen the hose is to your right to clean off your boots” “NO Muddy BOOTS ALLOWED”. There was not an issue with my sidearm.



    Friday, Called the repair shop in the morning and they told me it would be ready afternoon. They finally come up to pick me up about 2:00pm and I ride to the shop which is about a ½ hr south. I paid my bill $192.00 including the tow. Back on the road. Next stop was Mount Morris Pa. for restroom break and to stretch a bit. (No Issues)

    The next stop was New Stanton Pa for fuel and coffee at Sheetz (No Issues) Got home about 7:00pm



    An OC Activist and 1 of the 3%

    Ed Stephan


    An Oath Keeper and OC Activist, 1 of the 3%, Ed Stephan

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Hickory, NC, ,
    Posts
    1,025

    Post imported post

    Good to hear. I just recently started OC'ing here in Hickory. No problem's at Wal mart or the couple of restaurants I have been in. Was the security guard at the door at Walmart? I talked to him about OC'ing a few weeks ago. Did not have a problem, just stopped on the way out and talked a bit. Because of work I don't get out of the truck much with it. Mainly stays on the seat except for days off and getting gas. !2 hours of work does not leave much time to get out.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •