• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Has anyone ever used this holster for OC

tattedupboy

imported post

http://qmuniforms.com/itemdy00.asp?Cat=&T1=S69+1009&I1.x=74&I1.y=21

While my primary mode of carry is CC I'd be very muc interested in knowing if anyone has ever used the Fobus level 2 roto thumb lever holster for OC. Just asking because I do security work, and in addition to this being an off duty CC holster, I may consider using this as a duty holster (I am a security officer) on the days I don't feel like putting on my entire duty rig.

kurtmax_0

imported post

Fobus holsters are great if you like getting your handgun stolen from you (search YouTube).

I'd recommend drinking the Kool-Aid and getting a Blackhawk CQC. If you hate the CQCs take a look at Safariland.

squarepeg

imported post

I saw those the other day. It looks interesting. I like the idea of using your thumb to release the gun as oposed to the serpa style with your bugger picker. My thumb is already there to flick off a safety so it would hit the lever anyhow. I have only tried the display of the serpa and I didn't like it because as I tried to pull the gun out, I was restriced because my finger had too much friction on the side of the holster. I know they had a lot of Fobus holsters at Blythes last I was there, but not sure if this particular style was in stock.

HungSquirrel

imported post

I'm not convinced that Fobus holsters are crap based purely on that video. For such a scenario to play out, you pretty much have to stand and patiently allow someone to tug on your holster as hard as he can while doing little, if anything, to stop him. :p

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Personally I find the Fobus release interfers with my grip acquisition just as a thumb break does. Its not a major problem though and practice and training improve the situation.

The Blackhawk Serpa CQC release once learned causes zero delay in your draw stroke. Do not push the release on the Serpa - let your finger slide over it as you lift the gun from your holster - finger remains in position and is indexed staright along the frame. The holster even has a memory ridge to quide your finger.

Practice this draw technique (sliding your finger) 15-20 times per night and in 3-4 days muscle memory will begin. The beauty of a well executed draw from a Serpa is that it feels like the gun is on ball bearings, your trigger finger is where it should be and the acquired technique does not hurt you when using other holsters.

BTW - trying a display model in no way is the same as strapping one on w/gun in it.
Try a friends, I think you'l really like it.

Yata hey

IanB

imported post

I'm not a fan of any holster that does not cover/protect the muzzle of the gun. If you carry with that holster, expect dings and scratches to the finish at the muzzle end.

Example: you sit down on some concrete steps and rake the muzzle across the concrete while standing up. Serpa holsters don't allow that to happen.

kurtmax_0

imported post

nakedshoplifter wrote:
I'm not a fan of any holster that does not cover/protect the muzzle of the gun. If you carry with that holster, expect dings and scratches to the finish at the muzzle end.

Example: you sit down on some concrete steps and rake the muzzle across the concrete while standing up. Serpa holsters don't allow that to happen.
My SERPA is flush with the barrel on my handgun. It's possible for it to get scratched.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

In my case, a full size 1911 in Serpa exposes the extreme end of the barrel slightly; however a Commander in the same holster does not have that condition for obvious reason.

Yata hey

Paul Volk

imported post

kurtmax_0 wrote:
nakedshoplifter wrote:

My SERPA is flush with the barrel on my handgun. It's possible for it to get scratched.
Mine is the same way. It sits mostly flush.
This is with a XD-40 in 4".

But I'm never worried about any potential damaged caused by the slight (if any) protrusion of the muzzle. I am completely happy with the function and protection of my Serpa.

IanB

imported post

I'll have to take a look at my 1911/Serpa tonight when I get home. I know for a fact that my Sig sits about 1/4" inside the end of the holster.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Paul Volk wrote:
kurtmax_0 wrote:
nakedshoplifter wrote:

But I'm never worried about any potential damaged caused by the slight (if any) protrusion of the muzzle. I am completely happy with the function and protection of my Serpa.
Interesting. My XD45 4" barrel sits about 1/4" from the end of the the SERPA as does my Sig.

HungSquirrel

imported post

When I bought my Baby Eagle Compact 9mm, the gun shop was selling it, a Baby Eagle full-frame .40, and the Fobus holster to fit both. I bought the compact and the holster. Being the compact, the holster actually juts down about an inch below the barrel.

Paul Volk

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
Paul Volk wrote:
kurtmax_0 wrote:
nakedshoplifter wrote:

Interesting. My XD45 4" barrel sits about 1/4" from the end of the the SERPA as does my Sig.
Yeah, I verified last night when I got out of work. Mine does actually sit inside of the holster about a 1/4" as well. I don't now why I thought it protruded....

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Admit that I thought my full size Les Baer 1911 projected a bit out of the bottom of my Serpa but it does not. About 1/4 " of holster beyond the muzzle.

Yata hey