Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Info for all you Snopes users checking political facts.

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Union, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,256

    Post imported post


    Is Snopes.com A Con?












    It has recently discovered that http://snopes.com/]Snopes.com[/url] is owned by a flaming liberal and this man is in the tank for Obama. There are many things they have listed on their site as a hoax and yet you can go to Youtube yourself and find the video of Obama actually saying these things. So you see, you cannot and should not trust Snopes.com....ever for anything that remotely resembles truth! I don't even trust them to tell me if email chains are hoaxes anymore.

    A few conservative speakers on Myspace told me about http://snopes.com/]snopes.com[/url]http://www.snopes.com/]http://www.snopes.com[/url]a few months ago and I took it upon myself to do a little research to find out if it was true. Well, I found out for myself that it is true.This website is backing Obama and is covering up for him. They will say anything that makes him look bad is a hoax and they also tell lies on the other side about McCain and Palin.

    Anyway, just FYI I suggest that you don't use Snopes.com anymore for fact checking, and make your friends aware of their political leanings as well.







    Many people still think Snopes.com is neutral and they can be trusted as factual. We need to make sure everyone is aware that that is a hoax in itself.


    A better source for verification is"Truth or http://fiction.com/]Fiction.com[/url]" athttp://www.truthorfiction.com/]http://www.truthorfiction[/url]

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    2,546

    Post imported post

    What is it with older people and forwarding chain letters via email?

    For one, most of the article on snopes are written by a girl (Barbara Mikkelson), though her husband does contribute some. Two, your email provides nothing to back up the claims that there are incorrectly listed articles. Three, it ignores that there is a good job done at providing analysis of other candidates, providing evidence of hoaxes that paint them negatively, as well.

    Moreover, snopes even suggests you check the sources listed and verify the claims for yourself (see the "lost" section: http://www.snopes.com/lost/false.asp) so you don't fall for false authority.

    The point: don't get all bent out of shape if you're not willing to do more than copy paste another email forwarded by other people as easily duped.
    "If we were to ever consider citizenship as the least bit matter of merit instead of birthright, imagine who should be selected as deserved representation of our democracy: someone who would risk their daily livelihood to cast an individually statistically insignificant vote, or those who wrap themselves in the flag against slightest slights." - agenthex

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    374

    Post imported post

    It's true that Snopes and the Snopes communityare rather strongly liberal, but on a lot of things Mr. & Mrs. "Snopes" actually have a good bit of common sense. I frequent the site's message board.In my opinion,they lean a trifle too far toward skepticism on paranormal and related topics, but on non-political, run-of-the-mill things, I've found them to be very reliable. Even for some political rumors and pictures, they're quite good. See links for examples.

    http://www.snopes.com/photos/politics/bushbook.asp

    http://www.snopes.com/photos/politics/bushphone.asp

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    149

    Post imported post

    Tawnos wrote:
    What is it with older people and forwarding chain letters via email?

    For one, most of the article on snopes are written by a girl (Barbara Mikkelson), though her husband does contribute some. Two, your email provides nothing to back up the claims that there are incorrectly listed articles. Three, it ignores that there is a good job done at providing analysis of other candidates, providing evidence of hoaxes that paint them negatively, as well.

    Moreover, snopes even suggests you check the sources listed and verify the claims for yourself (see the "lost" section: http://www.snopes.com/lost/false.asp) so you don't fall for false authority.

    The point: don't get all bent out of shape if you're not willing to do more than copy paste another email forwarded by other people as easily duped.
    The point: don't get all bent out of shape if you're not willing to do more than copy paste another email forwarded by other people as easily duped.
    What better way to keep facts straight on an issue? This net stuff gets paraphrased so many times in a row, you need to be careful.

    I'll bet you're young. What is it with young people having to be so damn rude all the time? Bear said nothing against you personally. You could have said: Bear, I disagree because: ......................

    Nope you have to make it an attack on Bear and old people. Bite me!

    style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f8"

  5. #5
    Regular Member trevorthebusdriver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Kent, Washington, USA
    Posts
    592

    Post imported post

    You are correct. I will no longer check snopes. I will get all my information from Fox News.

    Not.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    2,546

    Post imported post

    Bear said nothing personally, but I'm the only one to link to snopes in any recent post, and it was in reponse to stuff he was posting. We have to be "rude" because we're tired of the way stubborn old people refuse to do more than the most cursory of checks before passing on more of the spam that clogs the internet, and how they cling to their interpretation of something without analyzing it in the context of what's actually being said.

    The intent has nothing to do with being rude, and everything to do with encouraging people to do more than copy/paste/forward email junk. You ask what better way to keep facts straight? How about a few quick searches, looking for multiple sources of evidence to support a position? How about reading news from all sources, not just the one with a bias you favor, before forming your opinions? How about not believing something you get in email, simply because you trust the sender?

    Those forwarded emails play with an interesting bit of the human psyche. Sent from the original source, or proclaimed by a stranger, you (general 'you', not a specific one) would hold a higher level of required evidence to believe the contents contained therein. However, when the email gets forwarded, the brain takes a shortcut and says "from a friend I trust, the content must be trustworthy." This shortcut has an obvious advantage when you're considering something like cavemen telling each other what to look out for - trusting those close to you keeps you alive. However, in the modern context it leads to leaping logical gaps that should otherwise be examined. All I do is ask that people do a bit of fact checking on their claims and provide their own analysis/interpretation instead of only pasting something they received in their inbox next to ads for viagra and nigerian millionaires who want to give you money.
    "If we were to ever consider citizenship as the least bit matter of merit instead of birthright, imagine who should be selected as deserved representation of our democracy: someone who would risk their daily livelihood to cast an individually statistically insignificant vote, or those who wrap themselves in the flag against slightest slights." - agenthex

  7. #7
    Regular Member trevorthebusdriver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Kent, Washington, USA
    Posts
    592

    Post imported post

    A quick check of Bear's recommended sight http://www.truthorfiction.com reveals this:

    http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/s/snopes.htm


    Snopes.com is a secret tool of the Democratic Party to promote Barack Obama-Fiction!


    So the email is debunked by the very sight it supposedly came from!

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Moscow, ID
    Posts
    384

    Post imported post


  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Moscow, ID
    Posts
    384

    Post imported post

    Tawnos wrote:
    Bear said nothing personally, but I'm the only one to link to snopes in any recent post, and it was in reponse to stuff he was posting. We have to be "rude" because we're tired of the way stubborn old people refuse to do more than the most cursory of checks before passing on more of the spam that clogs the internet, and how they cling to their interpretation of something without analyzing it in the context of what's actually being said.

    The intent has nothing to do with being rude, and everything to do with encouraging people to do more than copy/paste/forward email junk. You ask what better way to keep facts straight? How about a few quick searches, looking for multiple sources of evidence to support a position? How about reading news from all sources, not just the one with a bias you favor, before forming your opinions? How about not believing something you get in email, simply because you trust the sender?

    Those forwarded emails play with an interesting bit of the human psyche. Sent from the original source, or proclaimed by a stranger, you (general 'you', not a specific one) would hold a higher level of required evidence to believe the contents contained therein. However, when the email gets forwarded, the brain takes a shortcut and says "from a friend I trust, the content must be trustworthy." This shortcut has an obvious advantage when you're considering something like cavemen telling each other what to look out for - trusting those close to you keeps you alive. However, in the modern context it leads to leaping logical gaps that should otherwise be examined. All I do is ask that people do a bit of fact checking on their claims and provide their own analysis/interpretation instead of only pasting something they received in their inbox next to ads for viagra and nigerian millionaires who want to give you money.
    Seriously, THANK YOU. Saved me the trouble. Well said.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    149

    Post imported post

    Bear said nothing personally, but I'm the only one to link to snopes in any recent post, and it was in reponse to stuff he was posting. We have to be "rude" because we're tired of the way stubborn old people refuse to do more than the most cursory of checks before passing on more of the spam that clogs the internet, and how they cling to their interpretation of something without analyzing it in the context of what's actually being said.
    Well....Gee..... I think we're done here. If you have to rationalize being rude because of(all of or most) old people:P....... That's a real good example of impericle fact gathering Sorry, I'm still at "Bite Me" and "I think you're the rude one"......... The thing about 99.9% of internet "facts" is that they are all opinion and opinions are worth about what you pay for them. Something Old People have are a finely tuned BS Meter and experience..........



  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Moscow, ID
    Posts
    384

    Post imported post

    BlaineG wrote:
    Bear said nothing personally, but I'm the only one to link to snopes in any recent post, and it was in reponse to stuff he was posting. We have to be "rude" because we're tired of the way stubborn old people refuse to do more than the most cursory of checks before passing on more of the spam that clogs the internet, and how they cling to their interpretation of something without analyzing it in the context of what's actually being said.
    Well....Gee..... I think we're done here. If you have to rationalize being rude because of (all of or most) old people:P....... That's a real good example of impericle fact gathering Sorry, I'm still at "Bite Me" and "I think you're the rude one"......... The thing about 99.9% of internet "facts" is that they are all opinion and opinions are worth about what you pay for them. Something Old People have are a finely tuned BS Meter and experience..........

    If you have a finely tuned BS meter then - speaking in a general sense - stop forwarding and posting stupid email chain letters.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Union, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,256

    Post imported post

    Tawnos wrote:
    Bear said nothing personally, but I'm the only one to link to snopes in any recent post, and it was in reponse to stuff he was posting. We have to be "rude" because we're tired of the way stubborn old people refuse to do more than the most cursory of checks before passing on more of the spam that clogs the internet, and how they cling to their interpretation of something without analyzing it in the context of what's actually being said.

    The intent has nothing to do with being rude, and everything to do with encouraging people to do more than copy/paste/forward email junk. You ask what better way to keep facts straight? How about a few quick searches, looking for multiple sources of evidence to support a position? How about reading news from all sources, not just the one with a bias you favor, before forming your opinions? How about not believing something you get in email, simply because you trust the sender?

    Those forwarded emails play with an interesting bit of the human psyche. Sent from the original source, or proclaimed by a stranger, you (general 'you', not a specific one) would hold a higher level of required evidence to believe the contents contained therein. However, when the email gets forwarded, the brain takes a shortcut and says "from a friend I trust, the content must be trustworthy." This shortcut has an obvious advantage when you're considering something like cavemen telling each other what to look out for - trusting those close to you keeps you alive. However, in the modern context it leads to leaping logical gaps that should otherwise be examined. All I do is ask that people do a bit of fact checking on their claims and provide their own analysis/interpretation instead of only pasting something they received in their inbox next to ads for viagra and nigerian millionaires who want to give you money.
    Damn, you must think you are awful damn important. As a matter of fact I didn't really give any thought about you ever, during a normal day. Does everything have to be about you? Guess what? IT ISN"T! Your ego should be taken in a resized because you have a very over inflated one.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Moscow, ID
    Posts
    384

    Post imported post

    Bear 45/70 wrote:
    Damn, you must think you are awful damn important. As a matter of fact I didn't really give any thought about you ever, during a normal day. Does everything have to be about you? Guess what? IT ISN"T! Your ego should be taken in a resized because you have a very over inflated one.
    Irony.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Union, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,256

    Post imported post

    thewise1 wrote:
    Bear 45/70 wrote:
    Damn, you must think you are awful damn important. As a matter of fact I didn't really give any thought about you ever, during a normal day. Does everything have to be about you? Guess what? IT ISN"T! Your ego should be taken in a resized because you have a very over inflated one.
    Irony.
    When did I ever claim anyone's post was about me? Hell even if it was about me, by you guys opinion I wouldn't be aware enough to know. You guys have to make up your minds on way or the other or have you all turned into Liberals?

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Union, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,256

    Post imported post

    BlaineG wrote:
    Well....Gee..... I think we're done here. If you have to rationalize being rude because of (all of or most) old people:P....... That's a real good example of impericle fact gathering Sorry, I'm still at "Bite Me" and "I think you're the rude one"......... The thing about 99.9% of internet "facts" is that they are all opinion and opinions are worth about what you pay for them. Something Old People have are a finely tuned BS Meter and experience..........

    Blaine, The is no point in even talking to these squirrels. They are too stupid to realize that age discrimination is illegal under Federal law and we have them in print. This case is a done deal.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    2,546

    Post imported post

    BlaineG wrote:
    Well....Gee..... I think we're done here. If you have to rationalize being rude because of (all of or most) old people:P....... That's a real good example of impericle fact gathering Sorry, I'm still at "Bite Me" and "I think you're the rude one"......... The thing about 99.9% of internet "facts" is that they are all opinion and opinions are worth about what you pay for them. Something Old People have are a finely tuned BS Meter and experience..........

    Did you miss where I put "rude" in quotes then said I wasn't trying to be rude, you just got your panties in a twist and perceived it as such? A finely tuned BS meter knows to discard that which appeals to your fear, uncertainty, or doubt. Obviously, there are a few of you here that lack that filter, and are afraid that Muslims (fear) are working with Obama (uncertainty) to overthrow the US government using stuff you thought was safe (doubt). That's right, dihydrogen monoxide is being used to kill people across America, and only you can stop it!

    What do I know, though? I'm a liberal squirrel out to destroy your freedom! Nevermind my actual views and actions, it's how I'm perceived online, so it must be true.


    "If we were to ever consider citizenship as the least bit matter of merit instead of birthright, imagine who should be selected as deserved representation of our democracy: someone who would risk their daily livelihood to cast an individually statistically insignificant vote, or those who wrap themselves in the flag against slightest slights." - agenthex

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Union, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,256

    Post imported post

    Tawnos wrote:
    BlaineG wrote:
    Well....Gee..... I think we're done here. If you have to rationalize being rude because of (all of or most) old people:P....... That's a real good example of impericle fact gathering Sorry, I'm still at "Bite Me" and "I think you're the rude one"......... The thing about 99.9% of internet "facts" is that they are all opinion and opinions are worth about what you pay for them. Something Old People have are a finely tuned BS Meter and experience..........

    Did you miss where I put "rude" in quotes then said I wasn't trying to be rude, you just got your panties in a twist and perceived it as such? A finely tuned BS meter knows to discard that which appeals to your fear, uncertainty, or doubt. Obviously, there are a few of you here that lack that filter, and are afraid that Muslims (fear) are working with Obama (uncertainty) to overthrow the US government using stuff you thought was safe (doubt). That's right, dihydrogen monoxide is being used to kill people across America, and only you can stop it!

    What do I know, though? I'm a liberal squirrel out to destroy your freedom! Nevermind my actual views and actions, it's how I'm perceived online, so it must be true.

    I think you are still sadly confused. Blaine and I aren't afraid of much and a bunch of terrorist weren't on the list last time I check. You however seem to be rather badly deluded about whatyou think you know and the actual situation. But that's fine, one of these days you will probably be prescribed something for it. As to the squirrel part, well there is no point in repeating the obvious. And you guys claim I'mcrazy.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •