Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Police taping you

Post imported post

As a police officer I always carry a digital recorder in my shirt pocket. It has gotten many officers out of BS complaints and allegations (or course, it has gotten officer in the same as well). Just wondering on anybody's feeling (pro or con) as to video's and audible equipment in cruisers and on officers. I actually had an officer tell me I was breaking the rules concealing my digital recorder and that the public would get mad when they found out they were recorded.

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

Reese Joye was a despised DWI attorney in Charleston that IIRC pushed the law requiring dash-cams in SC patrol cars (or maybe it was Dearth-o'-wits). At first everybody resisted them and their use, but now I think that the cameras are valued by prosecutors and defense attorneys and cops and citizens alike.

Post imported post

As long as it is not illegal I have no problem with it. We tape them here in Wa. all the time,why would it not be OK the other way around. People should know that anything they say to an Officer that is acting in official capacity is not private.
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."

"though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I know that you are by my side" Glock 23:40

Post imported post

nitrovic wrote:
    As a police officer I always carry a digital recorder in my shirt pocket. It has gotten many officers out of BS complaints and allegations (or course, it has gotten officer in the same as well). Just wondering on anybody's feeling (pro or con) as to video's and audible equipment in cruisers and on officers. I actually had an officer tell me I was breaking the rules concealing my digital recorder and that the public would get mad when they found out they were recorded.
    I do not carry one.

We have all hadpeople complain about things wewere alleged to have said.A supervisor thatknows you for any length of time can identify what words you would commonly use. This can hopefully help them determine if there is any validity to the complaint.

I have used in car video systems and I did not mind them. I did like the idea that every said by both people was captured. It seems that you get fewer complaints when they know everything is being documented.

It is just sad that the person making a false allegation against an officercannot be punished when the lie provedby the video tape.

My contacts end up with them wanting to shake my hand so there is little need for me to record every conversation. I have little fear I will say anything to cause them to want to file a complaint.

Post imported post

nitrovic wrote:
    I'm all for recording of detentions, arrests and interrogations. It tends to deter misbehavior. I suspect that Lt. Burge's electrical escapades with suspects in Chicago would have been substantially curtailed if things were being recorded.

In addition, mysterious "technical difficulties" are valuable evidence of misconduct.

Ohio is a one party consent state. You can record any conversation to which you're a party. The more recordings the better. Cops, citizens, the more the merrier. It's all good.
    --- Gun control: The theory that 110lb. women have the "right" to fistfight with 210lb. rapists.

Post imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
    nitrovic wrote:
    I do not carry one.

We have all hadpeople complain about things wewere alleged to have said.A supervisor thatknows you for any length of time can identify what words you would commonly use. This can hopefully help them determine if there is any validity to the complaint.
    ... if they care. Some simply don't.

The more recording the better. It protects everybody's interests except those of liars, in and out of uniform.

Neither suspects nor officers found to be lying typically seem to be punished for their dishonesty, even under oath in court.
    --- Gun control: The theory that 110lb. women have the "right" to fistfight with 210lb. rapists.

Post imported post

Deanimator wrote:
    ... if they care. Some simply don't.

The more recording the better. It protects everybody's interests except those of liars, in and out of uniform.

Neither suspects nor officers found to be lying typically seem to be punished for their dishonesty, even under oath in court.
    Regardless if any action is taken.

The difference is.... One CAN be punished. The other cannot.

The person telling a lie has everything to lose. The other.. not.

Post imported post

I carry one and remember new batteries when needed. Before I retired in 1997, I carried one at work simply because of a certain fleet super....He tried calling me on the carpet for someting a couple of timesand I popped out the recorder. He shut up.

They work....remember..... 'Buddy' W..? HehHeh

Post imported post

The way I see it is,

I have no problem with you guys (LEO's) recording or taping of any sort........as long as YOU do not have a problem withme taping you.

Post imported post

The more recordings the better. It encourages everyone to act appropriately.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Post imported post

Am I supposed to inform an officer that my recorder is running ? and is my recorded tape submissable in court? Because my wife carries one of those with the micro tapes loaded and ready for chat.. seems to be a recurrance with a specific one horse town cop being attracted to her Grand Cherokee..1 time she didn't dim her lights in timeto the cops liking, and 1 time he thought her plates were expired..

Post imported post

I think officers should not only be required to carry voice recorders, I think evidence obtained while the recorder isn't running should be invalidated (you know, to encourage officers to always carry extra batteries ).

Post imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
    It is just sad that the person making a false allegation against an officercannot be punished when the lie provedby the video tape.
    Not true. I'll have to find the particular case, however I'll explain it the best that I can, while I look for the links ...

A woman falsly accused a police officer of sexual battery and when the tape cleared the officer she was charged with a false report of some kind.

Like I said, I'll have to find the link(s) when I get some free time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Open Carry.org Member View Post
    I really disgree with this one! That means that we can have any yahoo running around with a gun with out the proper training. This really scares the hell out of me. Just my two-cents!
    Quote Originally Posted by KansasMustang View Post
    Joe Schmedlap out there with a loaded weapon thinking he's going to deter crime and he's not even trained to fire his weapon safely just kinda makes my hair on the back of my neck stand up.

Post imported post

Am I supposed to inform an officer that my recorder is running ?

Unless your state law requires it (more than likely, it does not) there is no requirement to inform them anything.

and is my recorded tape submissable in court?

Federal court? Yes. State court? Maybe.

Post imported post

Carnivore wrote:
    Am I supposed to inform an officer that my recorder is running ? and is my recorded tape submissable in court?
    Find out for yourself and get back to us.

http://www.rcfp.org/taping/
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

Post imported post

You are in a one party consent state, and leo confiscates recorder
    but doesn't turn it off, records another party with it and then returns
    the recorder to you.
    What is your liability? after all he is armed and brandishing, I can't stop him.

Post imported post

None. It may be your equipment, but it has to do with the user of said equipment at the time of the offense.

Same reason why you don't get charged with murder (typically) if someone breaks into your car, steals it, and tries to break the current mass vehicular homicide record.

Post imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
    My contacts end up with them wanting to shake my hand so there is little need for me to record every conversation. I have little fear I will say anything to cause them to want to file a complaint.
    That's called "Stockholm Syndrome", 229.

Post imported post

nitrovic wrote:
    I certainly don't know about your department's rules or the law in your state, and I'm sure some citizens won't like being secretly recorded, however (and I am not a lawyer!) there's generallyno expectation of privacy if you're out in public.

With the proliferation of camera-capable cell phones, you never know when you're going to to be recorded. So I try not to ever say or do anything in public that I wouldn't want to have show up on the evening news.

I'm all for police cruiser videocams. It protects the innocent, and eliminates a lot of'he said/she said' nonsense. Conflicting stories? Roll tape!

How long before the technology becomes available for each officer to be fitted with a Point-Of-View Cam that transmits whatever the officer sees back to the police station surveillance server in real time?

Post imported post

As long as the recording isn't "creatively edited" or "accidently" lost after an incident, I'm all for it. Recording interactions between officers and the public seems to be a good idea for all parties. It reduces uncertainty of the events, and it leads to more professional police officers.

Spying, on the other hand, is different, and should be distinguished from encounter recordings. If you get stopped by a cop in traffic or wherever, you should assume that you are being recorded and really can't complain about being spied on, unless of course the cop is just stopping people for the purpose of getting photos and voice recordings of people, for the purpose of targeting and intimidating protesters or something. Even then, when you are in public you really have no expectation of privacy.

I have a theory that an active citizenry is a good way to keep a police force sharp and professional. I also think camera recordings help.

Founder's Club Member - Moderator longwatch's Avatar

Post imported post

Well if you properly use your right to remain silent why would it matter if the police have a recorder?

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

To record their statements/monologue.

Post imported post

Well OK but I'll have my own copy from my recorder.

Post imported post

longwatch wrote:
    What recorder? You mean the one that disappeared right around when your tail light broke?

Post imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
    longwatch wrote:
    What recorder? You mean the one that disappeared right around when your tail light broke?
    That's what the other one is for. Two is one, one is none.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast