• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Travil Carry

jaramia20

imported post

Hello

I am from Indiana and will be travelling in the next week . I will be passing through Ohio and West Virginia . I have a CCP in Indiana and would like to carry on my trip . As I am new to carrying on road trips ( no guns of any kind in a semi ) ,am I aloud to carry with my Indiana permit in Ohio and West Virginia ? I will be travelling in my car for this trip . Thank you for taking the time to read and post .

J

ImChad

imported post

jaramia20 wrote:
Hello

I am from Indiana and will be travelling in the next week . I will be passing through Ohio and West Virginia . I have a CCP in Indiana and would like to carry on my trip . As I am new to carrying on road trips ( no guns of any kind in a semi ) ,am I aloud to carry with my Indiana permit in Ohio and West Virginia ? I will be travelling in my car for this trip . Thank you for taking the time to read and post .

J

Hello Jaramia,

SOmeone else is goign to call you on this, so I may as well. We have a LTC in Indiana, not a ccp. Ohio is a huge NO. You may not carry in Ohio with an Indiana permit. You can unload, lock and store seperately (ammo, gun) in Ohio but you may not carry in any way shape or form like you can here. West Virgina does not honor our permit either.

When traveling, its good to know who honors our permit and who doesn't. The word is "reciprocity" and a reciprocity map will give you details about where we can and can't travel.

http://www.opencarry.org/travel.html

Open carry has a nice travel map available to everyone. I would suggest using it before going out of state.

I don't know about a reciprocity map though, just open carry laws here.

This site below is for states that honor each others permit. Select Indiana and you'll see who honors our permit.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/

Keep in mind, you're in a very kind state here too. We're a stand your ground state and we have many rights that other states don't. Its important to know what the laws are on future trips. Some states will lock you up no matter what for using your side arm for a couple of days to months for trial.

Now, there is such thing as an interstate travel law that allows some form of federal right to carry o nthe interstate, but its tricky and I don't fully understand it. I would hit google and try to find something on interstate firearm travel as it may help you on your trip.

Skippy

imported post

It's the federal "Peaceable Journey" law. It allows you to travel through a state where you are not licensed, provided your journey starts and ends in a state where you may legally posses/carry/etc.

So, for example, if you're legal in Indiana and Pennsylvania, but not Ohio. You can pass through Ohio to Pennsylvania provided you don't stop (technically not even for fuel).

Generally, the gun must be unloaded and encased in a locked container or out of reach of the driver. Some states require you field-strip the gun and to also have the magazines unloaded and stored separately from the gun.

Decoligny

imported post

Skippy wrote:
It's the federal "Peaceable Journey" law. It allows you to travel through a state where you are not licensed, provided your journey starts and ends in a state where you may legally posses/carry/etc.

So, for example, if you're legal in Indiana and Pennsylvania, but not Ohio. You can pass through Ohio to Pennsylvania provided you don't stop (technically not even for fuel).

Generally, the gun must be unloaded and encased in a locked container or out of reach of the driver. Some states require you field-strip the gun and to also have the magazines unloaded and stored separately from the gun.
This is one of the statements that is commonly misunderstood. The U.S. Code states: is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment.

So, storing itunder a heavy suitcase in the back seat, even if it is out of reach of the driver, it is still accessible from the passenger compartment.

So, lock it in your trunk.

I really wouldn't worry too much about stopping for gas. Refueling is a critical and necessary part of "transporting" your firearm. If you run out of gas, you will not be able to transport the firearm to the destination where you can legally have it, that is assuming that you can legally have it at your destination.

U.S.[/b] CODE Title 18, Part 1, Chap 44[/b]

§926A.[/i][/b] Interstate[/i][/b] transportation of firearms.

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, that in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

ghengis86

imported post

Decoligny wrote:
Skippy wrote:

This is one of the statements that is commonly misunderstood. The U.S. Code states: is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment.

So, storing itunder a heavy suitcase in the back seat, even if it is out of reach of the driver, it is still accessible from the passenger compartment.

So, lock it in your trunk.

I really wouldn't worry too much about stopping for gas. Refueling is a critical and necessary part of "transporting" your firearm. If you run out of gas, you will not be able to transport the firearm to the destination where you can legally have it, that is assuming that you can legally have it at your destination.

U.S.[/b] CODE Title 18, Part 1, Chap 44[/b]

§926A.[/i][/b] Interstate[/i][/b] transportation of firearms.

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, that in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

what if you're in an SUV? i have two jeeps that i drive; a CJ-7, where as the driver, I can reach just about anywhere, and a cherokee, which is a little harder to reach the 'trunk'/cargo area, but its not inaccessible per se. when i travel through IL, which i do frequently, i field strip, lock in a case and use a cable lock to lock the case to the CJ's rear seat bracket. hopefully i've made it inaccessible, but who really knows...

Jubbie

imported post

Sounds like you've done all you can, short of having it with you. All I can add is be as nice a guy as you can be if you get pulled over. Just make a nice, decent impression, maybe wear nice dress clothes.

ghengis86

imported post

Jubbie wrote:
Sounds like you've done all you can, short of having it with you. All I can add is be as nice a guy as you can be if you get pulled over. Just make a nice, decent impression, maybe wear nice dress clothes.

2 questions; does your LTC show up on a cops computer when he runs your license plate and/or drivers license? (my thoughts; yes)

doeshaving anLTC give him probable cause to search you or your car during a traffic stop? (my thoughts; no)

imported post

jaramia20 wrote:
Hello

J

The other sources quoted are good, but you might also try this source;

http://apps.carryconcealed.net/packngo/index.php