• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Any NRA certified instructors out there?

savery

imported post

I'm posting this in the Virginia forum as i figured there may be a few locals that meet the description.

I'm interested in becoming one, and I read the NRA information pertaining to the topic. It appears that i have to take an exam, and a course for the courses i wish to teach.

Just curious if anyone else has their NRA certification and can possibly help me get mine.

The reason is that I'm a "go to" guy for friends, family, and co workers that are interested in firearms. I figure that i could learn a few things about teaching others, and i could also help them satisfy the training requirements for the VA CHP.

If anyone has any info for me, i'm interested.

Deanimator

imported post

savery wrote:
I'm posting this in the Virginia forum as i figured there may be a few locals that meet the description.

I'm interested in becoming one, and I read the NRA information pertaining to the topic. It appears that i have to take an exam, and a course for the courses i wish to teach.

Just curious if anyone else has their NRA certification and can possibly help me get mine.

The reason is that I'm a "go to" guy for friends, family, and co workers that are interested in firearms. I figure that i could learn a few things about teaching others, and i could also help them satisfy the training requirements for the VA CHP.

I'm in Ohio not Virginia, but I'm an NRA Certified Instructor for Basic Pistol and Personal Protection in the Home.

I took the instructor's courses at a club in Monroeville, PA. It was an enjoyable experience. It really reminded me of the instruction I received in ROTC, learning how to instruct others. I learned or had reinforced a lot of useful training techniques. I also got to hear a lot of other people's experiences as trainers.

I've done a lot of training in the past, both in the military as an OPFOR instructor, teaching Korean civilian guards to shoot their new riot guns, and teaching basic trainees. I've also done a lot of computer hardware and software training. If you've never done instruction before, it's often initially intimidating. It's harder to learn to speak confidently in front of an audience than to know the technical material.

A good instructor knows the material, but can also elaborate on it without deviating from the facts.

If you like to instruct, or think you would, I encourage you to take the instructor's course(s).

TexasNative

imported post

savery wrote:
If you're in Northern Virginia, Northern Virginia Training Counselors will be conducting their next Instructor training in February. More info, as well as contact information can be found at http://www.nvtcs.org/.

Infidel

imported post

TexasNative wrote:
savery wrote:
If you're in Northern Virginia, Northern Virginia Training Counselors will be conducting their next Instructor training in February. More info, as well as contact information can be found at http://www.nvtcs.org/.
Thanks Texas, I too am interested and when I saw the posting I checked it out. And thanks to you too Savery for starting the thread.

rob99vmi04

imported post

savery wrote:

I've got a coursecoming up this weekend but it booked about 2 weeks ago. I've got an overflow course coming up in January, and that to is fillingrapidly. However,check this website The centreville group is the IWLA in Fairfax their a good group of people. Don't really know anything about the Charlotsville group. http://www.nrahq.org/education/training/find.asp.

[size=+0][/size]

[*][size=+0]Centreville[/size] - Wednesday, March 25, 2009, Arlington-Fairfax Chapter, Inc., $200
Pamela Meara, 703-266-2235. , kptjmeara@gmail.com
Class types: Basic Rifle,Instructor Training

Course Notes:
Basic Instructor Training March 25, 26, 27; 1900 to 2200 Rifle Discipline March 28, 29; 0800 to 1700

[*][size=+0]Centreville[/size] - Wednesday, April 22, 2009, Arlington-Fairfax Chapter, Inc., $200
Pamela Meara, 703-266-2235. , kptjmeara@gmail.com
Class types: Basic Shotgun,Instructor Training

Course Notes:
Basic Instructor Training April 22, 23, 24; 1900 to 2200 Shotgun Discipline April 25, 26; 0800 to 1700

[*][size=+0]Charlottesville[/size] - Friday, November 21, 2008, Rivanna Rifle and Pistol Club, $150
Michael Johnson, 434 924-8607. , mlj8e@virginia.edu
Class types: Basic Pistol,Instructor Training

Course Notes:
1730-2100 on November 21, 830-1730 on November 22 and 830-1730 November 23. Preregistration and consent of the training counselor is required.

[*][size=+0]FAIRFAX[/size] - Saturday, January 10, 2009, Fairfax, $300
Andy Lander, 703 267 1428. , alander@NRAHQ.org
Class types: Basic Pistol,First Steps Pistol,Instructor Training

Course Notes:
Teach friends, family, complete strangers firearms courses, which allows them to apply for a carry permit in the state of VA, WV, FL,and others. Class fills up rapidly, slots given in the order deposits are recieved. Course is Jan/10-11/2009.