• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Intro and Thanks

Ruckus

imported post

Hi. I've been lurking for just a little while and I want to say what a GREAT site this is. I've been a CPL holder for a few years now. Once I started reading up on all the laws to get my CPL I started researching open carry. This site was not available back then. I called the MSP and talked to some big dog who told me there is no law on the books against OC, but he wouldn't recommend it because each city or township has their own ordinance and I would have to know all the different ordinances in which I OC'd in and that it would be more trouble than what it's worth, and if any sheeple ever called on me I would be at the mercy of any LEOs as to whether I was disturbing the peace or not.

I don't recall what my township told me in detail, but I do recall them talking about local ordinence, brandishing and disturbing the peace.

When I took my required CPL course I asked my instructor about OC and he stated brandishing, disturbing the peace, and that he would definately advise against it. Actually I took two CPL safety courses and they both had the same comments regarding OC. When I pressed one of them and stated I couldn't find any law against it on the books he told me I could be a guinea pig if I wanted to, then inquired if I really had the amount of money to be that kind of guinea pig.

So back then, I did all the research I thought I could do and made all the inquiries I thought I could make and they were all in consensus. So they scared me out of excercizing my right.

Fast Forward to 2008...

My buddy who knows I'm a huge gun advocate told me about the OC picnic in Warren that he read about in the paper a couple months ago. He knew about my OC research of the past and said, "You mean you didn't read about that?" I hadn't, but as soon as I got home I looked it up and found opencarry.org. What a fantastic service for us all! I can't believe the breadth of the overall site, not to mention the obsene wealth of information. It is totally incredible and a sight for sore eyes. After I accepted the fact my research had been futile, I found you all here talking about everything I wanted to know about MI OC.

I have not OC'd yet, but am planning on doing so in the near future.

I just want to thank everyone here for contributing to such a good cause as excercizing one's rights. Also, thanks for showing me that the information I received in the past was as corrupted as it was. There is still hope for us all yet. :celebrate

taxwhat

imported post

Ethan_Frome wrote:
Hi. I've been lurking for just a little while and I want to say what a GREAT site this is. I've been a CPL holder for a few years now. Once I started reading up on all the laws to get my CPL I started researching open carry. This site was not available back then. I called the MSP and talked to some big dog who told me there is no law on the books against OC, but he wouldn't recommend it because each city or township has their own ordinance and I would have to know all the different ordinances in which I OC'd in and that it would be more trouble than what it's worth, and if any sheeple ever called on me I would be at the mercy of any LEOs as to whether I was disturbing the peace or not.

I don't recall what my township told me in detail, but I do recall them talking about local ordinence, brandishing and disturbing the peace.

When I took my required CPL course I asked my instructor about OC and he stated brandishing, disturbing the peace, and that he would definately advise against it. Actually I took two CPL safety courses and they both had the same comments regarding OC. When I pressed one of them and stated I couldn't find any law against it on the books he told me I could be a guinea pig if I wanted to, then inquired if I really had the amount of money to be that kind of guinea pig.

So back then, I did all the research I thought I could do and made all the inquiries I thought I could make and they were all in consensus. So they scared me out of excercizing my right.

Fast Forward to 2008...

My buddy who knows I'm a huge gun advocate told me about the OC picnic in Warren that he read about in the paper a couple months ago. He knew about my OC research of the past and said, "You mean you didn't read about that?" I hadn't, but as soon as I got home I looked it up and found opencarry.org. What a fantastic service for us all! I can't believe the breadth of the overall site, not to mention the obsene wealth of information. It is totally incredible and a sight for sore eyes. After I accepted the fact my research had been futile, I found you all here talking about everything I wanted to know about MI OC.

I have not OC'd yet, but am planning on doing so in the near future.

I just want to thank everyone here for contributing to such a good cause as excercizing one's rights. Also, thanks for showing me that the information I received in the past was as corrupted as it was. There is still hope for us all yet. :celebrate
Hi and welcome make Monroe your first ! OC Nov 02