• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Shooting at University of Central Arkansas kills 2, wounds 1

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

CONWAY, Ark. (AP) - There's no explanation so far for a shooting at the University of Central Arkansas that's left two people dead and one wounded.
A university police spokeswoman says the shots were fired at a little after 9 p.m. Sunday near Arkansas Hall.
She couldn't say whether the victims were students, but did say all three were male. One died at the scene and another died at a hospital. The condition of the third victim isn't available.
The campus in Conway went into lockdown as soon as the shooting occurred, meaning no one is being allowed in or out.
Officials say the campus will remain locked down Monday. Classes have been canceled. The university police Web site says one person is in custody and three others are being sought.
http://www.nbc12.com/Global/story.asp?S=9242234
Here we go again! :banghead:
Yata hey

45-ACP

imported post

How many more innocent people are going to allow them selves to be used for target pratice ?

How many more is it going to take befor the american people say Thats It No More,

We are not going to be victims any more?

cmatthews40510

imported post

I am a college student here in Arkansas and I hate the fact I have to unholster everytime I want to exit my vehicle to enter a "campus building."

We had a shooting last year at the Univ. of Ark. at Little Rock in the same parking lot I always park in. The panel formed after the shooting recommended the cops go back to bicycle patrol and to remove the public bus stops on campus... Now that is sure to increase safety.

I know the Arkansas Concealed Carry Assocation is going to work on the next legislative session to modify current carry laws in regards to "campus buildings."

AbNo

imported post

Repost from a thread in the VA forum... :question:

"Still, I have a couple of friends that go there. Let me just tick this.

Also....

http://www.uca.edu/divisions/student/handbook/ucastudenthandbook.pdf

Pg 94
Unauthorized possession, storage, and/or use of a weapon. This includes, but is not limited to, fireworks or other explosive devices, swords, illegal knives, BB or pellet guns, or firearms (see firearms policy for additional information).
Pg 99
! FIREARMS POLICY
Any student possessing, storing, or using a firearm on university controlled
property or at university sponsored or supervised functions, unless
authorized by the University, will be suspended from UCA for a period of not
less than three (3) years unless a waiver of the suspension is granted by the
president upon the recommendation of the vice president for student
services. In order to be guilty of violating this policy, a student must have a
culpable mental state of negligence or greater as defined in A.C.A. 5-2-202.

The statutory definitions are as follows:

1. "Purposely." A person acts purposely with respect to his/her conduct
or a result thereof when it is his conscious object to engage in conduct
of that nature or to cause such a result;

2. "Knowingly." A person acts knowingly with respect to his/her conduct
or the attendant circumstances when he/she is aware that the conduct
is of that nature or that such circumstances exist. A person acts
knowingly with respect to a result of his/her conduct when he is aware
that it is practically certain that his/her conduct will cause such a result.

3. "Recklessly." A person acts recklessly with respect to attendant
circumstances or a result of his/her conduct when he/she consciously
disregards a substantial and unjustifiable risk that the circumstances
exist or the result will occur. The risk must be of a nature and degree
that disregard thereof constitutes a gross deviation from the standard
of care that a reasonable person would observe in the actor's situation;

4. "Negligently." A person acts negligently with respect to attendant
circumstances or a result of his/her conduct when he/she should be
aware of a substantial and unjustifiable risk that the circumstances
exist or the result will occur. The risk must be of such a nature and
degree that the actor's failure to perceive it, considering the nature and
purpose of his/her conduct and the circumstances known to him/her,
involves a gross deviation from the standard of care that a reasonable
person would observe in the actor's situation.

Pg 106
Resident Safety Policies - A number of policies have been implemented to promote safety and security on campus and in the residence halls:

Weapons, firearms, and explosive devices are not allowed on campus or in the residence halls (see UCA Firearms Policy for additional information).

Non-students who come onto campus and violate university policies are
normally banned from campus.
Pg 136
Explosives and Firearms
Fireworks, firearms, ammunition, explosive devices and devices used to launch a projectile are not permitted in university housing and, depending upon potency, can result in immediate suspension of the student.

Pg 145
Weapons
Unauthorized possession, use, or storage of weapons (i.e., firearms, BB or pellet guns, paintball guns, air guns, soft air guns, illegal knives, fireworks, or other explosive devices) or ammunition is prohibited in the residence halls and UCA owned or leased apartments. Students should contact their Area Coordinator if clarification of this policy is needed.

A summary of the 2007 Campus Security Act Report shows ten arrests for weapon possession last year. Two in 2006, three in 2005. "