• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Weight limit w/out a belt

Daddyo

imported post

I made it through the summer carrying my Ruger P89 on a belt worn over the top of my shorts. Comforting but not terribly comfortable.

So I want to get a lightweight gun to carry during the summer, but before everyone starts shouting out "S&W 642", I have one and am not fond of it. With any decent self defense load, it hurts to shoot, and I would really rather have more than 5 shots available. So I've been looking at different guns trying to balance weight with power and capacity.

Someone has told me that the 23oz steel version of the J-frame carries alright and the increased weight substantially reduces the recoil. So that got me to wondering exactly how much weight could you carry on some drawstring shorts without showing the coin slot.

David.Car

imported post

Well obviously this is going to depend on the pants/shorts and how sturdy they are.

If you want to carry openly though, a paddle holster can easily be worn with any pants/shorts without a belt.

nova

imported post

Try out an Sp101 by Ruger. Or find a S&W K-frame snub (6-shot, all steel const.).

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

That's a tough question which to give a blanket answer. I only use drawstring shorts at the gym, but I have worn my Sig P228 with drawstring nylon sweatpants for as much as an hour or so. I can wear it ok without too great of a discomfort or pants adjusting. As currently loaded on the postage scale the Sig weighs 2lb 4 oz.

YMMV as people are built differently, different clothing fits people differently etc.

SQLtables

imported post

Well, I can tell you my experience. I haven't weighed it, or really cared much about weight, but I've carried my 4" XD-40 in a cheap nylon holster in drawstring shorts. I've done this for fairly long walks and even bike rides.

As for that S&W you have, it's just about perfect for shorts like that. Just get an Uncle Mikes pocket holster (probably #3) and drop it in the pocket. Even if it hurts to shoot at the range, I bet it won't in a SD situation.

shad0wfax

imported post

I can carry a loaded (with extra round magazine) Kel-Tec P3AT in a little under-the-waistband clip holster supported by nothing more than the waistband of boxer shorts or un-tied drawstring shorts comfortably in any activity short of basketball or some other active sport. Just leave the shirt untucked and it's invisible to all but the most observant officer.

Carrying a S&W J-frame with a 3" barrel or a Ruger P95 with a 4" barrel is possible with the same holster design in good quality jeans with a properly fitted waistband and an open shirt.

That being said, I always feel more secure wearing a good quality wide belt that fills the belt loops and an in the pants holster (such as a Galco horse-hide) with snaps that go around the belt to firmly secure the holster. Having at least a snap over the firearm (or a velcro closure for the Uncle Mike's style in the pants stuff) adds a bit more security and prevents the firearm from working loose in the holster. (I've found that the Galcos don't work loose but the Uncle Mike's styles can.)

If you wear loose enough shirts you could just use a nice SERPA holster on your belt and have the best security and accessibility possible for concealment. Just make sure you don't bend over and expose it accidentally unless you intend to carry openly.

Long story short, always wear a belt with pants (or tactical pants/vests) if you can.

SQLtables

imported post

shad0wfax wrote:
I can carry a loaded (with extra round magazine) Kel-Tec P3AT in a little under-the-waistband clip holster supported by nothing more than the waistband of boxer shorts or un-tied drawstring shorts comfortably in any activity short of basketball or some other active sport. Just leave the shirt untucked and it's invisible to all but the most observant officer.

Carrying a S&W J-frame with a 3" barrel or a Ruger P95 with a 4" barrel is possible with the same holster design in good quality jeans with a properly fitted waistband and an open shirt.

That being said, I always feel more secure wearing a good quality wide belt that fills the belt loops and an in the pants holster (such as a Galco horse-hide) with snaps that go around the belt to firmly secure the holster. Having at least a snap over the firearm (or a velcro closure for the Uncle Mike's style in the pants stuff) adds a bit more security and prevents the firearm from working loose in the holster. (I've found that the Galcos don't work loose but the Uncle Mike's styles can.)

If you wear loose enough shirts you could just use a nice SERPA holster on your belt and have the best security and accessibility possible for concealment. Just make sure you don't bend over and expose it accidentally unless you intend to carry openly.

Long story short, always wear a belt with pants (or tactical pants/vests) if you can.

Well, this is opencarry.org...;)

chad pf-9

imported post

I just recently got a Kel Tec pf-9.Its a great little gun,9mm,7+1 capacity,not too heavy,& shoots the same ammo as my P89T.I've put over 50 rounds through it so far,without any problems.Might be somthing for you to check out.

Alexcabbie

imported post

My Walther PPK/s in .380 abd loaded with Glaser rounds is what i carry in a "shove it in the waistband and go" situation, such as the other night when it sounded like somebody was breaking nto cars downstairs. I keep it in a paddle holster so it's just pull on the jeans, stuff Mr. W in the waistband, and see who is up to what.

(It was a tow-truck guy helping someone who locked themselves out)

The PPK/s iss the only weapon I have that will not yank my pants down without a belt.