• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Another college shooting incident

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

Arkansas Campus Shooting Leaves 2 Dead
By JON GAMBRELL,
AP

1225104560060.JPEG

AP
CONWAY, Ark. (Oct. 27) - A shooting in the heart of the University of Central Arkansas' campus killed two students and wounded a third person, authorities said early Monday.
UCA police spokeswoman Lt. Rhonda Swindle said the first report of shots fired came at 9:19 p.m. An officer heard the shooting, which occurred near a male dormitory and behind the campus police station, and arrived on the scene in less than a minute, she said.

Witnesses described hearing as many as five gunshots ring out. One man fell to the sidewalk along the narrow alley between the dormitory and a fine arts center and died. Swindle said the two others rushed into the dorm, where paramedics later found them.
One man died at a local hospital, while another who wasn't a student was treated and released, Swindle said.
Swindle had no immediate explanation for the shooting, though she said police questioned one "person of interest" into the early morning hours. She said detectives believed four people were involved in the attack, though no arrest or search warrants had been issued in the case.

Police: Four Suspects in Campus Shooting

Two students were killed in a shooting at the University of Central Arkansas, a third person was injured. Police say that they have four suspect, one who is currently being questioned. (Oct. 27)

"We have really good leads we're following up on right now and we feel the campus is safe," Swindle said.
Swindle declined to identify the victims of the shooting, saying officers continued to try and reach their families. The lieutenant said their bodies would be sent to the state Crime Laboratory in Little Rock for autopsies.
Interim UCA President Tom Courtway canceled classes Monday at the university, which serves 12,500 students. He stressed that every precaution was being taken to ensure the safety of the students who remained in their dormitory rooms.
"It doesn't matter where this happens in the country — it's awful," Courtway said.
Police used crime scene tape to keep people out of a large area around where the shootings occurred, including a nearby intersection. Pools of blood still stained the cold cement sidewalk early Monday morning. Firefighters' foam sprayed over the alleyway to clean away traces of the attack congealed with the blood, turning to an orange froth.
Student Aprille Hanson, 20, of Mountain Home said the shooting was "definitely an eye-opener" in the quiet city of Conway, about 26 miles north of Little Rock.
"This campus is very safe. I've never felt afraid on this campus," Hanson said. "Everyone's going to be a little more tense."
However, the campus remained under guard Monday morning, with police cruisers circling its quiet streets and officers roaming the grounds in flak jackets and blue jeans.
"The UCA campus itself is not locked down, although officers are posted at every campus entrance, and access to campus is limited to residents and authorized personnel," UCA spokesman Warwick Sabin said in an e-mail early Monday.
Faculty and students received phone calls and e-mails through an automated system at 9:38 p.m. warning them of the shooting and encouraging them to stay inside behind locked doors. Sabin said it was the first incident to prompt use of the university's new emergency e-mail and phone call system, purchased last year after the Virginia Tech massacre.
Swindle said video captured by surveillance cameras also installed at the campus after the massacre would be examined.
Sunday's shooting is the second at an Arkansas college this year. On Feb. 27, a man was shot and wounded at the University of Arkansas at Little Rock. Two suspects were eventually charged. The victim, James Earl Matthews, was hospitalized and had surgery before being released.
Courtway said he thought police officers and the university's emergency alert system performed well in the minutes after the shooting. However, he promised to conduct a thorough examination of shooting to ensure students' safety in the future.
"This is just an awful tragedy. It's the worst thing that can happen on a college campus," Courtway said. "We have start looking at everything."

AbNo

imported post

Why is this in the VA forum?

Still, I have a couple of friends that go there. Let me just tick this.

Also....

http://www.uca.edu/divisions/student/handbook/ucastudenthandbook.pdf

Pg 94
Unauthorized possession, storage, and/or use of a weapon. This includes, but is not limited to, fireworks or other explosive devices, swords, illegal knives, BB or pellet guns, or firearms (see firearms policy for additional information).
Pg 99
! FIREARMS POLICY
Any student possessing, storing, or using a firearm on university controlled
property or at university sponsored or supervised functions, unless
authorized by the University, will be suspended from UCA for a period of not
less than three (3) years unless a waiver of the suspension is granted by the
president upon the recommendation of the vice president for student
services. In order to be guilty of violating this policy, a student must have a
culpable mental state of negligence or greater as defined in A.C.A. 5-2-202.

The statutory definitions are as follows:

1. "Purposely." A person acts purposely with respect to his/her conduct
or a result thereof when it is his conscious object to engage in conduct
of that nature or to cause such a result;

2. "Knowingly." A person acts knowingly with respect to his/her conduct
or the attendant circumstances when he/she is aware that the conduct
is of that nature or that such circumstances exist. A person acts
knowingly with respect to a result of his/her conduct when he is aware
that it is practically certain that his/her conduct will cause such a result.

3. "Recklessly." A person acts recklessly with respect to attendant
circumstances or a result of his/her conduct when he/she consciously
disregards a substantial and unjustifiable risk that the circumstances
exist or the result will occur. The risk must be of a nature and degree
that disregard thereof constitutes a gross deviation from the standard
of care that a reasonable person would observe in the actor's situation;

4. "Negligently." A person acts negligently with respect to attendant
circumstances or a result of his/her conduct when he/she should be
aware of a substantial and unjustifiable risk that the circumstances
exist or the result will occur. The risk must be of such a nature and
degree that the actor's failure to perceive it, considering the nature and
purpose of his/her conduct and the circumstances known to him/her,
involves a gross deviation from the standard of care that a reasonable
person would observe in the actor's situation.

Pg 106
Resident Safety Policies - A number of policies have been implemented to promote safety and security on campus and in the residence halls:

Weapons, firearms, and explosive devices are not allowed on campus or in the residence halls (see UCA Firearms Policy for additional information).

Non-students who come onto campus and violate university policies are
normally banned from campus.
Pg 136
Explosives and Firearms
Fireworks, firearms, ammunition, explosive devices and devices used to launch a projectile are not permitted in university housing and, depending upon potency, can result in immediate suspension of the student.

Pg 145
Weapons
Unauthorized possession, use, or storage of weapons (i.e., firearms, BB or pellet guns, paintball guns, air guns, soft air guns, illegal knives, fireworks, or other explosive devices) or ammunition is prohibited in the residence halls and UCA owned or leased apartments. Students should contact their Area Coordinator if clarification of this policy is needed.

A summary of the 2007 Campus Security Act Report shows ten arrests for weapon possession last year. Two in 2006, three in 2005.

johnfenter

imported post

"An officer heard the shooting, which occurred near a male dormitory and behind the campus police station, and arrived on the scene in less than a minute, she said."

Well... "when seconds count, the police are too many seconds away"? Let's face it, two dead, others wounded, and the perps got away (for now). "Less than a minute" just wasn't good enough.

And I see that the AR Code section that outlaws firearms on college campuses really deterred these killers, didn't it?

ProShooter

imported post

AbNo wrote:

Because....

1) Any news story about people being victims where they could have defended themselves if properly armed is relevant, regardless of what state is occurs in.

2) We have had recent threads in this forum, most recently regarding Liberty University and the SCCC whereby information like this needs to be madeknown so that organizations such as the SCCC and VCDL can further the cause.

geesh, lighten up..... :)

darthmord

imported post

I really like this part...

Pg 136

Explosives and Firearms
Fireworks, firearms, ammunition, explosive devices and devices used to launch a projectile are not permitted in university housing and, depending upon potency, can result in immediate suspension of the student.
Devices used to launch a projectile... Like a straw shooting a spitwad? We had better ban straws now... oh, what about hands? We can use them to throw balls and rocks, and stuff. Better ban mouths too. They can launch lugies as well as verbal taunts and threats.

/end sarcasm

You would think that with some places' rabid dislike of firearms they would actually write their rules and regs such that they only banned firearms and not a crapload of other things in addition.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Why lock down the campus? Why is everyone freaking out? This does not in any way sound like spree killers. This sounds like either a robbery gone bad or a bunch of punks mixing it up and someone bringing fists to a gun fight. I bet if the authorities actually, you know, HINTED at the cause of this it would turn out to be nothing random that is likely to effect any other students and would greatly reduce the anxiety for many.

Still, I find it obscene that the places where the most vulnerable of our citizens congregate are the places where sheepdogs are defanged.

TexasNative

imported post

They lock down the campus just in case it isn't a one-time deal. Not to keep anyone safe, mind you, but as a CYA maneuver.

Hmm, I appear to be feeling cynical today.

~ Boyd

AbNo

imported post

TexasNative wrote:
They lock down the campus just in case it isn't a one-time deal. Not to keep anyone safe, mind you, but as a CYA maneuver.

Hmm, I appear to be feeling cynical today.

~ Boyd
Is it really cynical if it's the truth?

TexasNative

imported post

Or maybe I'm just a realistic optimist. Or maybe an optimistic realist.

Or sumpin' like dat.

~ Boyd

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

http://www.grandforksherald.com/articles/index.cfm?id=90988&section=news

CONWAY, Ark.A shooting in the heart of the University of Central Arkansas' campus killed two students and wounded a third person, authorities said early today.
UCA police spokeswoman Lt. Rhonda Swindle said the first report of shots fired came at 9:19 p.m. An officer heard the shooting, which occurred near a male dormitory and behind the campus police station, and arrived on the scene in less than a minute, she said.
Witnesses described hearing as many as five gunshots ring out. One man fell to the sidewalk along the narrow alley between the dormitory and a fine arts center and died. Swindle said the two others rushed into the dorm, where paramedics later found them.
One man died at a local hospital, while another who wasn't a student was treated and released, Swindle said.
Swindle had no immediate explanation for the shooting, though she said police questioned one "person of interest" into the early morning hours. She said detectives believed four people were involved in the attack, though no arrest or search warrants had been issued in the case.
"We have really good leads we're following up on right now and we feel the campus is safe," Swindle said.
Swindle declined to identify the victims of the shooting, saying officers continued to try and reach their families. The lieutenant said their bodies would be sent to the state Crime Laboratory in Little Rock for autopsies.
Interim UCA President Tom Courtway canceled classes today at the university, which serves 12,500 students. He stressed that every precaution was being taken to ensure the safety of the students who remained in their dormitory rooms.
"It doesn't matter where this happens in the country - it's awful," Courtway said.
Police used crime scene tape to keep people out of a large area around where the shootings occurred, including a nearby intersection. Pools of blood still stained the cold cement sidewalk early this morning. Firefighters' foam sprayed over the alleyway to clean away traces of the attack congealed with the blood, turning to an orange froth.
Student Aprille Hanson, 20, of Mountain Home said the shooting was "definitely an eye-opener" in the quiet city of Conway, about 26 miles north of Little Rock.
"This campus is very safe. I've never felt afraid on this campus," Hanson said. "Everyone's going to be a little more tense."
However, the campus remained under guard this morning, with police cruisers circling its quiet streets and officers roaming the grounds in flak jackets and blue jeans.
"The UCA campus itself is not locked down, although officers are posted at every campus entrance, and access to campus is limited to residents and authorized personnel," UCA spokesman Warwick Sabin said in an e-mail early Monday.
Faculty and students received phone calls and e-mails through an automated system at 9:38 p.m. warning them of the shooting and encouraging them to stay inside behind locked doors. Sabin said it was the first incident to prompt use of the university's new emergency e-mail and phone call system, purchased last year after the Virginia Tech massacre.
Swindle said video captured by surveillance cameras also installed at the campus after the massacre would be examined.
Sunday's shooting is the second at an Arkansas college this year. On Feb. 27, a man was shot and wounded at the University of Arkansas at Little Rock. Two suspects were eventually charged. The victim, James Earl Matthews, was hospitalized and had surgery before being released.
Courtway said he thought police officers and the university's emergency alert system performed well in the minutes after the shooting. However, he promised to conduct a thorough examination of shooting to ensure students' safety in the future.
"This is just an awful tragedy. It's the worst thing that can happen on a college campus," Courtway said. "We have start looking at everything."

67GT390FB

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
AbNo wrote:

Because....

1) Any news story about people being victims where they could have defended themselves if properly armed is relevant, regardless of what state is occurs in.

2) We have had recent threads in this forum, most recently regarding Liberty University and the SCCC whereby information like this needs to be madeknown so that organizations such as the SCCC and VCDL can further the cause.

agree with you 100% proshooter. I too get sick of the post nazi's or in this case wanabe postnazi's. I'm of the opinion that if I'm a VA resident and i find something to post that I believe isrelevant or would be interesting to those folks I know in this forum that it belongs here regardless of the geographical position/origin of the story.

ProShooter

imported post

67GT390FB wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
AbNo wrote:

Because....

agree with you 100% proshooter. I too get sick of the post nazi's or in this case wanabe postnazi's. I'm of the opinion that if I'm a VA resident and i find something to post that I believe isrelevant or would be interesting to those folks I know in this forum that it belongs here regardless of the geographical position/origin of the story.
my thoughts exactly, thank you....

AbNo

imported post

Yeah, only two dead, one injured! Perfectly safe! I'm sure the families of these two guys will be very glad when their sons miraculously spring back to life when the killer is found. :banghead:

Interim UCA President Tom Courtway..... ....stressed that every precaution was being taken to ensure the safety of the students who remained in their dormitory rooms.
Makes me wonder what happened to the only UCA President.

I also wonder if that means getting this bit of AR state law changed...

http://170.94.58.9/NXT/gateway.dll/ARCode/title04016.htm/subtitle04701.htm/chapter05041.htm/subchapter05081.htm/section05087.htm
5-73-306. Prohibited places. No license to carry a concealed handgun issued pursuant to this subchapter authorizes any person to carry a concealed handgun into:

*snip*

(14) Any school, college, community college, or university campus building or event, unless for the purpose of participating in an authorized firearms-related activity;

Posting from school is fun! :quirky

AZkopper

imported post

I wonder if the dead guys feel the campus is safe?

This is typical bureaucratic double talk.

Yes, LE is 'following up', because that is what LE is legally required to do: Investigate crimes and maintain public order. Protecting people is not only Constitutionally not required, it is a practical impossiblililty. Sure, LE will try to respond to safe your a$$, but they have no duty to.

AZkopper

imported post

I wonder if the dead guys feel the campus is safe?

This is typical bureaucratic double talk.

Yes, LE is 'following up', because that is what LE is legally required to do: Investigate crimes and maintain public order. Protecting people is not only Constitutionally not required, it is a practical impossiblililty. Sure, LE will try to respond to safe your a$$, but they have no duty to.

MetalChris

imported post

Slayer of Paper wrote:
But....but.... if guns are banned at the University how could there POSSIBLY be a shooting???
You know I was thinking the same thing.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2008/oct/28/campus-shooting-kills-two/

CONWAY, Ark. | A shooting that left two students dead at the University of Central Arkansas did not appear to be random, authorities said Monday as the school's president pronounced the campus secure.

Two suspects were being questioned and two others were being sought after Sunday night's shooting, which wounded a third person at the 12,500-student campus.

Though investigators have not determined a motive for the shooting, "It does not seem at this time that it was a random act," campus police Lt. Preston Grumbles said.
Interim President Tom Courtway canceled classes Monday but said they would resume Tuesday. "Our campus is safe," he said.

The victims were shot in an alley between a dormitory and the Snow Fine Arts Center. One victim died on the sidewalk; police said the others rushed into the dorm, where paramedics found them.

Student T.J. Frix of Russellville said he heard five gunshots as he studied for a communication exam in his dorm room.

"I was like, 'Maybe it's just fireworks,' " he said.

But soon, two bleeding men lay in the hallway right outside his room. Mr. Frix said he saw the surviving victim writhing on the floor in pain from his leg wound. Two resident advisers performed CPR on the other man before paramedics rushed into the dorm, Mr. Frix said.

University police Lt. Rhonda Swindle said one person being questioned had turned himself in, another was pulled over by police during the night, and police think they know the identities of two other suspects.

All four are male, none are students and no one has been arrested, police said.
Lt. Swindle identified the dead as Ryan Henderson, 18, and Chavares Block, 19 - both students. A non-student, Martrevis Norman of Blytheville, who was shot in one leg, was released from a hospital after treatment.

"This is just an awful tragedy. It's the worst thing that can happen on a college campus," said Mr. Courtway, the interim president. "We have start looking at everything."

Late Monday morning, blood could still be seen on the sidewalk of the alley where the shootings occurred. A male student wept at the otherwise empty crime scene.
The rest of the campus was quiet as police cars cruised the streets and officers roamed the grounds in flak jackets.

Faculty and students received calls and e-mails through an automated system shortly after 9:30 p.m. Sunday warning them of the shooting and urging them to stay inside behind locked doors.

School spokesman Warwick Sabin said it was the first use of the university's new emergency e-mail and phone-call system, purchased last year after a gunman at Virginia Tech killed 32 people and himself.

Lt. Swindle said investigators would examine video recorded by surveillance cameras, which also were installed after the Virginia Tech massacre.