Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Boy 8 shoots himself in Mass

Post imported post

Received this from a friend up north just minutes ago. Not good for the boy his familyand definitely not good forpro gun people.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2008-10-27-boy-death-gun-show_N.htm

WESTFIELD, Mass. (AP) — An 8-year-old boy died after accidentally shooting himself in the head while firing an Uzi submachine gun under adult supervision at a gun fair.
    The boy lost control of the weapon while firing it Sunday at the Machine Gun Shoot and Firearms Expo at the Westfield Sportsman's Club, Police Lt. Lawrence Valliere said.

The boy was with a certified instructor and "was shooting the weapon down range when the force of the weapon made it travel up and back toward his head, where he suffered the injury," a police statement said. Police called it a "self-inflicted accidental shooting."

The victim was taken to Baystate Medical Center, where he died. His name was not released.

Although the death appears to be an accident, police and the Hampden district attorney's office were investigating, officials said.

The club said on its website that the event, run in conjunction with C.O.P Firearms and Training, is "all legal and fun." People were allowed to fire weapons at vehicles, pumpkins and other targets, it said.
    Officials with the private club and the firearms group could not be reached for comment. A message left on a club answering machine was not returned. The C.O.P. group's machine clicked off without taking a message.

The sportsman's club was founded in 1949 and describes itself on its website as an organization that promotes "the interest of legal sport with rod, gun, and bow and arrow, both directly and through training."

Post imported post

Very tragic indeed. Help me out over here on the Topix forum. I have a bunch of anti-gunners over here beating up on me.

http://www.topix.net/forum/source/ha...PHRRAILIFFOJ2M

My point was that a child could be taught to properly fire a weapon such as this but the parent was entirely negligent in this case. The antis are telling me that there is no use for such weapons, etc.

gaw

Post imported post

Very sad.

Post imported post

HardChrome wrote:
    Very tragic indeed. Help me out over here on the Topix forum. I have a bunch of anti-gunners over here beating up on me.

http://www.topix.net/forum/source/ha...PHRRAILIFFOJ2M

My point was that a child could be taught to properly fire a weapon such as this but the parent was entirely negligent in this case. The antis are telling me that there is no use for such weapons, etc.

gaw
    Why should a child be taught how to shoot something like this? You're right about the negligence part, but for the wrong reasons.

Talk about Negligent Discharge! The boy's father had no damn business letting him shoot this weapon! I think the sponsoring organization should be taken to task as well!

Learning to shoot a (single shot) .22 is to riding a bicycle sans training wheels as shooting an uzi is to riding a motorcycle!
    A law-abiding citizen should be able to carry his personal protection firearm anywhere that an armed criminal might go.

Member VCDL, NRA

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA

Post imported post

Boy, 8, Killed in Gun Show Accident

WESTFIELD, Mass. (Oct. 27) - An 8-year-old boy died after accidentally shooting himself in the head while firing an Uzi submachine gun under adult supervision at a gun fair.

The boy lost control of the weapon while firing it Sunday at the Machine Gun Shoot and Firearms Expo at the Westfield Sportsman's Club, police Lt. Lawrence Valliere said.

The boy, Christopher Bizilj of Ashford, Conn., was with a certified instructor and "was shooting the weapon down range when the force of the weapon made it travel up and back toward his head, where he suffered the injury," a police statement said.
    Christopher died at Baystate Medical Center.
    Police said the boy's father was at the gun fair and accompanied his son in the ambulance, but it wasn't clear if he was at the firing range with Christopher at the time of the accident. Police didn't give the father's name.
    Although police called it a "self-inflicted accidental shooting," police and the Hampden district attorney's office were investigating, officials said.
    "We are going to review all the circumstance regarding what happened, who was involved, what authorities they may or may not have had, who was supervising," District Attorney William Bennett said Monday.

It is legal for children to fire a weapon if they have permission from a parent or legal guardian and are supervised by a properly certified and licensed instructor, Lt. Hipolito Nunez said.
    Those conditions were met in this case, he said. He declined to release the supervisor's name.
    The club said on its Web site that the event, run in conjunction with C.O.P Firearms and Training, is "all legal and fun." People are allowed to fire weapons at vehicles, pumpkins and other targets, it said.
    Officials of the private club and the firearms group could not be reached for comment. There was no response to a message left on a club answering machine. The C.O.P. group's machine clicked off without taking a message.
    The sportsman's club was founded in 1949 and describes itself on its Web site as promoting "the interest of legal sport with rod, gun, and bow and arrow, both directly and through training."
    It has eight firing ranges as well as archery and fishing facilities located on 375 acres in Westfield, about 100 miles west of Boston.

Very very sad. My condolences to the family and all involved........
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Regular Member trevorthebusdriver's Avatar

Post imported post

2a4all wrote:
    Why should a child be taught how to shoot something like this? You're right about the negligence part, but for the wrong reasons.

Talk about Negligent Discharge! The boy's father had no damn business letting him shoot this weapon! I think the sponsoring organization should be taken to task as well!

Learning to shoot a (single shot) .22 is to riding a bicycle sans training wheels as shooting an uzi is to riding a motorcycle!
    I agree with you 110%. Thanks to this moron of a parent the antis have another thing they can use against us.

Post imported post

Very tragic.

I supports parents properly introducing their children to firearms, but in moderation.Learning isabout baby steps. That kid should have been firing a .22lr.

The scary part is that this is a common occurrence. Of the gun shows that I've attended, at least 3 instances, I've seen young (10 years old or less) shooting fully automatic guns. They handled them well enough, and the event was safe, but this may be an example for a need for some sort of regulation tohinder a potential future negligent situation.

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

How responsible is a 'certified instructor'?

Post imported post

While this is a tragic story, not all of the blame lies on the parent here. The instructor is also at fault as well - if I were in the instructor's place, I would not allow such a young boy to fire such a firearm without having direct control over it (ie, my hands on it and keeping it controlled).

When I was about that age, my father taught me how to shoot his FEG 9mm. He never let me hold it on my own - he was always supporting me.

Post imported post

There are some that proclaim that 2A gives everyone even 8 year-olds the right to walk down the street with an UZI slung on their shoulder. Some proclaim that it is their right only if their parents permit it. I don't know if being 8 had anything to do with this but it is sad. Watch some people trying to ride a motorcycle sometimes. The open the throttle and even while running into something they can't seem to realize that they need to release it. Maybe it was the same with this boy that when he pulled the trigger he couldn't figure out that he needed to release it.

I can't put an age limit on it because everyone is different. If this boy had not been killed but someone had filmed it and put it on youtube, we would all be talking about how amazing the kid was being able to handle an UZI at his age. The difference between a great stunt and a tradgedy is the outcome.

Banned

Post imported post

Tragic.

Yet one more reason that "shall not infringe" doesn't apply to children and doesn't mean that all parents are responsible.

Post imported post

I thought of that same thread when I first heard about this. There are several more on youtube very similar and it gets to be a contest to who can put the youngest one on there. Wonder if this accident was being filmed?

Post imported post

Walleye wrote:
    While this is a tragic story, not all of the blame lies on the parent here.
    True. The parents will probably suethe instructor (and win) for facilitating their stupidity.

God Bless America!

Post imported post

No law was broken and he was under the direct supervision of an NRA instructor......An accident, no more. The leftist media will run with it for obvious reasons.

Post imported post

Paul Volk wrote:
    Very tragic.

I supports parents properly introducing their children to firearms, but in moderation.Learning isabout baby steps. That kid should have been firing a .22lr.

The scary part is that this is a common occurrence. Of the gun shows that I've attended, at least 3 instances, I've seen young (10 years old or less) shooting fully automatic guns. They handled them well enough, and the event was safe, but this may be an example for a need for some sort of regulation tohinder a potential future negligent situation.
    Do you really think you can regulate stupid?
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitableand let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come . PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

Post imported post

For kids under 10 or 12 or so, full auto or even full power semi auto might be a bit much. This is the perfect example of why group events need to have overly cautious rules.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Post imported post

Paul Volk wrote:
    They handled them well enough, and the event was safe, but this may be an example for a need for some sort of regulation tohinder a potential future negligent situation.
    I hope you're not serious that we actually need some sort of law to take care of this problem. How many children is THIS going to save? How often does government actually SOLVE problems with more laws?

We all (should) know that the cause of this tragedy isn't the submachine gun. It isn't lack of federal laws that caused this tragic accident. It was negligence on the part of whoever was responsible for that gun and that child.

I see this event as an identical lack of responsibility as letting an 8 year old inexperienced rider on a Banshee ATV (one of the most powerful sport quads they make). Something too powerful and too hard for a youngster to handle by themselves. Not to say they couldn't safely ride it with direct immediate supervision, like if a responsible adult rides on the ATV with them (or in this case, firing the Uzi with a responsible adult that has a firm grip on the gun).

We definitely don't need any new laws or regulations. We have too much government control in our lives already. I also don't think the people responsible need to be charged criminally. I am sure they are suffering far worse punishment than any jail time could impose.

...Orygunner...

Post imported post

Paul Volk wrote:
    Whatform of unconstitutionallegislation would you propose?

I am not sure what you mean by common as I don't believe I have personallyseen an 8 year old fire a fully-automatic weapon, although I do believe that some of that age are betterapt to handle those situations than others. It's up to the parent and instructor to decide the childs' ability. This turned out tragic, but it doesn't happen very often. I Have never read of such a situation like this in my entire life.

You admitted that the times you witnessed it happening, it was safe, but at the same time you are suggesting punishing all for the mistakes of the one.
    Peace through superior firepower

Luke 11:21
    "When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed.

Post imported post

I heard some insight into this gunshow & the "supervision," of any of the shooters, in general, was limited to basically holding the shoulder of the shooter if they needed it.

I was talking to a RSO at the range I went to on sunday & he wanted to get his 6 y/o daughter into shooting. So long as it's done SAFELY and by somebody that's got all of their ducks in a row, even younger children can shoot. That doesn't mean I'd give a 4 y/o a 410 shotgun or a .22 rifle, but my wife's younger boy started shooting shortly after he turned 5.
    Quote Originally Posted by Open Carry.org Member View Post
    I really disgree with this one! That means that we can have any yahoo running around with a gun with out the proper training. This really scares the hell out of me. Just my two-cents!
    Quote Originally Posted by KansasMustang View Post
    Joe Schmedlap out there with a loaded weapon thinking he's going to deter crime and he's not even trained to fire his weapon safely just kinda makes my hair on the back of my neck stand up.

Post imported post

An 8 yr old has absolutely no business shooting a freakin Uzi. Period.

8 yr olds should be shooting BB guns and MAYBE Cricket .22 Short single shot bolt actions.

I see this stuff everyday: Parents wanting their kids to grow up so fast, faster than they're supposed to or even meant to. I guess the parents of today are in such a rush, have no patience to allow kids to grow up and mature.

8 years old. What a waste.

Post imported post

If I ever have the opportunity to shoot a full-auto ( if I can find a range that rents them)I will, and if my son is with me I'll want him to enjoy the experience too (he's 11). Butafter reading this I will make damn sure I'm havea hand on the gun to preventsomething like this from happening.

What a tragedy

Post imported post

Evil Ernie wrote:
    An 8 yr old has absolutely no business shooting a freakin Uzi. Period.

8 yr olds should be shooting BB guns and MAYBE Cricket .22 Short single shot bolt actions.
    AMEN! I cannot understand, for the life of me - why anyone would think handing a fully automatic carbine to an 8 year-old, would be a good idea! STUPID, STUPID, STUPID!!!

When I was that age, I was learning to strip and clean an old Montgomery Wards .22LR, and the basics of safe gun handling. My father wouldn't let me shoot it until I could properly disassemble, clean, and reassemble the thing.

Post imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
    Tragic.

Yet one more reason that "shall not infringe" doesn't apply to children and doesn't mean that all parents are responsible.
    No.

But I agree that there are irresponsible parents out there, and no law will change that.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast